free hit
counters
Sport 350 Alarm going off Randomly - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Sport 350 Alarm going off Randomly

Go to solution Solved by Paul_D,

Hi guys, I've owned the car for about a month now, and a problem seems to have cropped up two weeks ago. My alarm would just suddenly just go off randomly. This has happened 4 times in different places, two of which was in my garage early in the morning with no one there to accidentally touch the car. I am able to turn it off by pressing the unlock button, but when I press the lock key, it gives me the 3 beeps, telling me that something isn't right. This is different from the 6 beeps when I try to lock it, with a door or the trunk left open.

The first time it happened and it was causing a lot of noise to my restaurant customers, I drove it off to another parking space. I noticed that the central locking wouldn't engage when I tried it. It did after trying again after a minute or so, which I found strange. 

The 2nd and 3rd times it happened, it was just sitting in my garage. My househelp kept shutting it off when it went off. I noticed that I would get the 3 beeps when I would attempt to lock it. Eventually it just stopped and locked properly.

The last time it happened, I immediately got in the car, started it, centrally locked the doors with the button, then shut it off again, got out and when I locked it, still gave me the 3 beeps. After a few minutes I tried again and it locked properly. 

The dealer says I should shut it off by pressing down the 3rd button when it happens. Am I getting the 3 beeps when I try to lock it because I didn't do this? But the more important issue to me is why is this even happening in the first place. :cry:If anyone could shed some light or info on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ryan.

Lock the car and arm the alarm using the button with the Lotus logo.

Three triple beeps indicates an issue with either the driver or passenger door.

Three double beeps indicates an issue with either the boot or the front service panel.

If the alarm has gone off, there is a report back feature of what has triggered it, but it's a bit involved...

Dave

Thanks Dave, that certainly sheds a little more light into it and narrows down the problem. Does the report back feature involve downloading the information at the dealer? After the 3rd incident I brought it in, and they claim not to have seen any errors. That is they were looking at the wrong parameters. 

Have you checked the front access panel is actually properly fitted and locked? Pins need to be in the holes and the lock clicks twice if I remember correctly. That was a common reported 'issue' on the playground when the cars first came out, basically dealers at the 1,000 mile service not re-fitting the access panel properly.

I'll go check on it again. Frustratingly enough, it happened again this morning. The common thing is that they all happen early in the morning when the sun starts to hit on the car, so I don't know if it's because of the change in temperature that seems to set it off. When I turn it off and try to lock the car again, I always get the 3 beeps. 

Ryan, 

you do not have anything masking the sensor, which is behind the seat ? I used to have a cloth standing behind the seats, and I couldn't figure out why several times the alarm was screaming, until I took this sweat-shirt out ...

Hi, no nothing at all. I have very few things in the car actually. I did check the access panel and it did seem like it wasn't fastened down properly. When I tried to press the lever to open the latch it seemed to stick rather than give me a satisfying click. Having experienced it all during the early hours of the morning would kind of make sense if the heat is making the access panel stretch a little and pop slight out of position enough to make the sensor go off. We shall see in the following days....

On 20/10/2016 at 14:53, Xisthos said:

Thanks Dave, that certainly sheds a little more light into it and narrows down the problem. Does the report back feature involve downloading the information at the dealer? After the 3rd incident I brought it in, and they claim not to have seen any errors. That is they were looking at the wrong parameters. 

Sorry forgot to come back to this thread. The report back is done using the key and the PIN code provided by Lotus with the car - it's not done using TechCentre.

The bleep codes as I mentioned is the first thing to look for.  As has been said, access panel is often the culprit.  Also you can try setting the alarm with the internal sensor disabled (set alarm using the Lotus button, then press it again within 2 secs to disable the interior sensor, car gives single bleep to confirm).

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111

Hi Dave, thanks for the further info.

I did try to press the button twice to disable it, but that was before the last time it alarmed a couple of days ago. My alarm seems to be different though, it's 6 for any of the doors and trunk and 3 for the access panel, so that certainly narrows it down to the panel itself. When I have a problem it's always the 3 beeps. I did try to refit the panel last time, but when I tried to lock the car when I made a stop, it gave me the 3 beeps, so I just left the damn car unlocked. I don't exactly know what could be lacking as I tried to fit it as properly as I thought it should, checking the latch lock that it was seated properly. 

I am out of town so I haven't used the car for a few days. Before I left though, a wrench symbol appeared on the dash and my Airconditioning wasn't cooling, and Aux fans weren't working either. I called the dealer about it so they came over to check on the car. It turned out to be a fault from a 10% difference between the engine speed and AC compressor that could be caused by a belt slippage. Anyway, while they were there, they disengaged the alarm while they're researching about the issue, so I won't be able to observe it under normal operating conditions. I was telling my wife that I wish I could just disengage the alarm while keeping the central locking. No one's going to attempt to steal the car anyway!

Thanks to everyone else who prodded me to what seems to be the culprit, which is the access panel. Now to figure out a way as to why it's not detecting it properly closed.14813150_10154082749868214_1154942003_o.jpg14813249_10154082749913214_1324303459_o.jpg14812944_10154082749928214_669262482_o.jpg

For info, the PFK 457 Alarm System (fitted to the Exige V6S) has been replaced with a Gemini 7590 with introduction of the Exige 350. 

Along with other "lightweight" savings, Lotus have deleted the internal volumetric sensor - so you'll NOT find a micowave sensor amidships behing the seats.

On this basis, and the OPs desription, if not a Control Unit or wiring fault, it only leaves four Pin Switches - one for each for the doors, tailgate and front services cover.

I sugest that you also check your interior light.  If the Gemini internal electronics are similar to the PFK, it can be "sensitive" to the interior light being switched to the always-off position.  If the switch is set to "light-on" with door opening, the lamp provides a "pull-up" (electronic term) for the associated alarm "sense" lead.  

The Exige S door sense can be problematic, after a battery disconnection, until the light is (at least temporarily) switched to auto; perhaps the Exige 350 shares this characteristic.

• Like 1

You beat me to it Derek. I was at the dealer yesterday and I tried arming the alarm of a 2015 Exige V6 and the alarm sound was very different from mine, so we realized that it was actually a different system already. Furthermore, we can't even seem to set off the alarm manually. 

Since we've tried fitting the access panel correctly so many times already, I'm going to do as you say and put the light to the light on position. Thanks!

3 hours ago, LotusPilot said:

For info, changes to the alarm system are detailed in the Foreword - and sections 10.7, 17.33b and 17.33c of the Service Parts List.

Not sure I would use the word detail!  Nothing much that would help with the issue experienced here.

Dave

• 1 month later...

New info, now available, detailing the change to the Gemini 7950 system, is now included within the latest revision to Service Note Section 17 (MV) - revised 6th December 2016.

Differences between the Gemini and former PFK systems - and their fitment to "350" and S" models (including running change to delete volumentric detection in late "S") - are now clarified.

NB: The change to Gemini and deletion of volumetric detection on late "S" build result in reclassification from Thatcham 1 to Thatcham 2.

Edited by LotusPilot

• 4 years later...
  • Gold FFM

It may be that your front panel isn’t making the switch properly. On mine, it was the fact that the rubber stopper had fell off the panel where it contacts the switch. 
I’d firstly try setting the alarm with the panel removed and you manually depressing the switch fully down. If it doesn’t do the ‘somethings not closed’ triple beep then you know you’ve found the problem. 

• Like 1