free hit
counters
GTM K3 Winter project - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

GTM K3 Winter project

Ive just purchased this little GTM K3 as a winter project.   Yes the colour is truly vile and will be going but for now its do the timing belt then get it running and assess how far to go into it.    Its got a 1.6 K series behind the seats and a metro front subframe each end.  The entire centre section is fibreglass an also has a soft top although I might even glass the roof on permanently .  Its not in bad nick inside although could do with updating but that can be a later on job.   There wont be any guilt about non  originality on this one unlike the Esprit .  Both sub frames and all the suspension are pretty crusty but probably ok after a sand blast and paint. It uses the hydrogas/hydrolastic syspension from rover/ bl which I will stick with for now.  Moving on to coil overs needs brackets welding on or a whole one off rear subframe made up.   There is a lot of stuff to be done but its a whole cheaper league  to Esprit stuff although some bits may be even more difficult to source.

DSC_0829.JPG

DSC04435.JPG

29421921011_8c18ba4f6b_k.jpg

DSC_0828.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is something quite special isn't it.  Just think, that colour wasn't an accident someone did that on purpose!! They ordered it in gelcoat white and once it was built,painted it.  But for £300 its a

A  new car to add to my list of dodgy purchases.      I have just bought this ugly little f****r.   9 years old, 22k on it  12mth mot for £3k.     Just need to transport me and a couple of tool cases

Posted Images

:D

I'd be disappointed if you change the colour Malc. :thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It is something quite special isn't it.  Just think, that colour wasn't an accident someone did that on purpose!! They ordered it in gelcoat white and once it was built,painted it.  But for £300 its a cross I can carry ( short term).

• Like 1

Hairdresser maybe?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

I think the colour just put people off it.  Its already got a qed remote thermostat kit, upgraded gear change  and came with a set of better rear calipers to improve the dodgy  hand break set up( yet another lotus and esprit connection!!) But just look at that engine bay access. No more laying on top of a car to work on it.

• Gold FFM

I'd have jumped on that at £300 !!! You did very well. Should prove to be a very fun car - with bargain basement parts costs.

it would look ace wrapped in gold metallic wrap :lol:

Only here once

Love it!

Very nearly bought a GTM Libra not long ago, but I think the Rossa shape is lovely, and I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun, too. As for the colour, it's not to my liking, but who cares for that money?

Margate Exotics.

• 4 years later...

A  new car to add to my list of dodgy purchases.      I have just bought this ugly little f****r.   9 years old, 22k on it  12mth mot for £3k.     Just need to transport me and a couple of tool cases about at low cost and after 24k miles in a Peugeot 107 since Feb this feels like rocket ship luxury😄.    Handles quite nicely apart from the bus size steering wheel.   Has a querky folding roof for the summer which should be and easy repair if it goes wrong rather than writing the car off.   Rear visibility is pretty much the same as my old Stevens n/a so a set of parking sensors will be first addition followed by a remap and a trip to Lepsons for the rims to be done in gunmetal or silver.     It would have been a grim purchase new but having dropped by 12k in price it will do the job for now  ( I think I have convinced myself!!!).    Have a feeling that parts will be a lot cheaper than the esprit but just  as hard to get hold of although it shares engine and some kit with the  Twingo.

DSC_0362.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting couple of purchases. 

If you need any help with the K3 I know a couple of people that have had them in the past that I could put you in touch with (including track-day modded ones)

Ive had a couple of GTMs - a standard Spyder 1.8 that morphed into something called Big Lairy Spyder (Google it!) and a frankenstein Spyder that ended up with a KV6 engine and MGTF rear subframe that we built for trackdays (the yellow one)

955a5726_25796415051_o.jpg

DSC00244-large.jpg

S73R0627_small.jpg

Just looked at the big, lairy spyder web site.  Gosh! That was a huge amount of work.  Looked nicely done.  How does it drive?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

20 hours ago, USAndretti42 said:

Just looked at the big, lairy spyder web site.  Gosh! That was a huge amount of work.  Looked nicely done.  How does it drive?

Unfortunately I dont know.....I sold the project when I moved to a new place and didnt have the space to finish it......

😲 What a bummer.  After all that work, someone else got the benefit.  I hope it went for a good price.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 3 months later...
On 06/01/2021 at 20:02, dclare said:

Unfortunately I dont know.....I sold the project when I moved to a new place and didnt have the space to finish it......

Hi dclare, it's a small world I talk to you a long time ago about buying the Clams off of you. no longer own my spyder . I have a exige bodied elise looks like we have a similar taste of cars.

spyder.jpg