free hit
counters
Avon ZZR's or Trofeo R's that is the question!!?? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Avon ZZR's or Trofeo R's that is the question!!??

Looking for feedback on which to buy?

Ive gor my stock corsas which work and behave fine but I want that bit more on track.....so after discussing with various people the ZZR seem to be the tyre or choice yet the new Trofeo R are now out.....therefore I'm left undecided on what to put onto the rims of the TD alloys I'm buying

Im torn between the two...and it's a key investment I want to get right!!!

Any advice is very welcome 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I've gone from Corsas to ZZRs and are very happy. Incredible dry grip (perhaps not as much as original non R Trofeos), surprising confidence in the wet, and reasonably priced. Longevity seems to be great so far. Done 4 days on them and hardly anything's been taken out of them. 

The downside is sourcing them is more tricky than the Pirellis.

Cheers Arun

I spoke to Hangar111 today and they hold the TD wheels and avons in stock and the price all in seemed very fair at £1600

So wet grip it still pretty good then on the Avons?

Did they take long to heat up and did they last well before going off?

Having gone quicker on the ZZRs since making this video I now consider them to be the better tyre overall. Epic rubber that it is, I don't think the price premium for the Trofeo R is easy to justify. However Lotus were selling sets of the original Trofeo at £500+vat. At that price it's a whole different ball game. The original Trofeos don't last very long but they offer astonishing grip for a road legal tyre.

• Like 1

Now that a great honest review and very helpful coming from someone who obviously knows his stuff!

I think that's it decision made.......one question how long could you push the tyres for until they list grip?

I was told on track they a great to do one cool down lap then back on it again?!

I just purchased the last set from Lotus ;)

Once I've gone through this set of non R Trofeos I'll be moving on to the Avons.

You may want to check the classifieds as I'm sure there's a set of TD rims with Trofeos for sale at around a £1k

www.alias23.com

Cheers Imran and lucky you!

ive had a look on the v6 classifieds but can't see anything.....I saw a thread the other day about it so enabled the guy direct whine think had them listed but reply back as yet.

I've sourced both ZZR and ZZS directly from Avon. Ring Chris Askew at Avon Motorsport on 01225 357314, or email [email protected]

You buy the tyres and have them delivered to you or your fitter.

Useful info here:

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/resource-centre/tyre-applications/lotus-on-track

48 minutes ago, S1ARM said:

Cheers Imran and lucky you!

ive had a look on the v6 classifieds but can't see anything.....I saw a thread the other day about it so enabled the guy direct whine think had them listed but reply back as yet.

Here you go £900

http://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/team-dynamics-1-2-satin-black-with-pirelli-trofeo-tyres-both-almost-new/

www.alias23.com

4 minutes ago, alias23 said:

Awesome thank you I've just pinged the guy a text as they are great value and if they are still avaiblable I can squeeze a few days out of the tyres! Will need to buy some more rubber with the amount of track days I've got coming up.......so will add some ZZRs!

That is me lol. And yes, arrived with their new owner today! 

To be fair I may get the trofeo again. Really impressed by them, and I've tried a fair few tyres now. Though if they last four track days, then no better than the Cup 2's I normally use. 

Edited by Chrisc

I think they also have a set of rears left but you'll have to be quick! Original Trofeos.

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/index.php?a=ap&addon=storefront&page=home&store=710&listing=35600

30 minutes ago, The Pits said:

I think they also have a set of rears left but you'll have to be quick! Original Trofeos.

https://www.motorsportauctions.com/index.php?a=ap&addon=storefront&page=home&store=710&listing=35600

Be aware that those tyres are already pretty old. They were manufactured in 2011 & 2012!

1 hour ago, Chrisc said:

That is me lol. And yes, arrived with their new owner today! 

Did you sell them through our terrible free classifieds? :lol:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It says in the ad they are date marked 2014. For track use they will be absolutely  fine, besides they won't see beyond 2017 in any event!

ZZR 215/40/17 - But the front is far different than the original and I would not (Personal thought) that can cause problems (as has happened to a friend of mine with V6 Exige S with power indicator light on the dashboard) electronic reading (Tire size, rolling, braking, etc.).
Edited by NANO

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

It says in the ad they are date marked 2014. For track use they will be absolutely  fine, besides they won't see beyond 2017 in any event!

We must be looking at different ads: "6 with DOT 4611 and 2 with DOT 0312"

For track purposes they'll be fine at those DOT ratings. As Pits said they won't last that long anyway lol

I spoke to Pirelli motorsport to clarify that the 11 DOT rating would be OK and they confirmed the tyre would be fine.

The problem comes when tyres have not been stored properly or over 6 years.

www.alias23.com