Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 40 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Get that diff on the upgrade list, Imran. I'm really happy I pushed the boat out when the clam was off for my CupR kit and got it installed, certainly it will allow me to really exploit any future power related upgrades should I decide to go this route. Same for you, I suspect.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Crouchy said:

How do you guys keep the Cup R splitter looking good. My car runs higher than either of yours and my front splitter is totally battered.

I’m at 128mm front ride height - only touched the splitter 3 times since I changed it to the Cup R splitter!

45 minutes ago, Crouchy said:

How do you guys keep the Cup R splitter looking good. My car runs higher than either of yours and my front splitter is totally battered.

Magic lol

Ive also been okay and not had any major issues to be honest. Remember I also have the front rubber lip which is another 25mm haha

www.alias23.com

It's surprisingly difficult to bash it seems, I was at 122mm before my Cup2s were fitted and didn't even touch scrape at Karussell recently, though when my car was decked on the Nitrons I would scrape the standard splitter on everything. I've only managed to clonk it twice, and that's on stuff infront of it rather than below whilst parking at service stations (idiot)

Little update on my new exhaust!

I thought it was best to wait for it to settle, and it has nicely which I'm pleased to report. 

Interestingly, there isn't a huge difference in the cabin between quiet mode and loud mode, but when standing behind the car it is quite noticeable. I think this is because the exhaust is so quiet that road noise overpowers it unless you're on throttle. You do get a few little pops in loud mode which is nice.

So with 200 very gentle miles running the exhaust (and brakes) in, then a further 500 miles in the last week (been daily driving it!), I've now done a noise test.

In quiet mode - I can run this at all revs as my valve is controlled by an elise parts controller instead of the ECU, but I'd highly suggest if you're driving hard (track use) to use loud mode for longevity. This also improves flow.

IMG_9695.thumb.JPG.d3af254d06d5ff349f233d0772b88123.JPG

And in loud mode.  Not so loud any more!     What I like is that the loud mode still sounds good (no way near as good as my old 2bular road exhaust though), and I can run it easily on the more noisy track days with no issues, then if I want to do quieter days I can get the 2bular directional silenced tips which should help with the drive by noise.

IMG_7748.thumb.JPG.b510b457575ed862e52005327b93589e.JPG

Performance feels very similar to my old road exhaust in loud mode which is a very positive thing. Certainly more power and more responsive than the quiet mode of the old exhaust. For those who like numbers, my old exhaust produced 452hp in quiet mode and 463hp in loud mode with the 2bular road exhaust.  It was always a noticeable difference to me between the modes and I'm confident that this new exhaust is closer to the 263hp figure.   I won't be putting the car on the dyno again as last time I did the clutch went the day after so I don't really want to dyno my car again, even if I do now have the uprated clutch.

• Gold FFM

Great update. 

My only lingering thought would be, is there much point in the complexity and expense of the dual system when the noise in the car is so similar in both modes?

The 2bular valveless track system also sounds very good (albeit again not as good a road valved)  and still passes all the noise tests 

Edited by JG220

George. 

LOVE your old one. And totally agree with your point about being able to give it full beans but stay at relatively sane speeds. That's why I love my little Clio so much. It's pitched just right for the road. Can give it all it's got but it's not too much. 

The 620R on the other hand... it's just immense! And I think the yellow / black combo looks fantastic on it. But then you already know that...

Noticed the location upgrade on your user info, hope the move went well and that it all works out for you. Can't be a bad live upgrade!

:)

(This is Mes by the way!)

The car runs absolutely fine in the heat, the only thing which isn’t so great is the air conditioning if stationary. I presume this is because of the charge cooler in front of the a/c cooler...

I’ve been keeping an eye on intake temps and the car was saying 29c most of the day and the car felt like it still had full power which is positive!

10 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

The car runs absolutely fine in the heat, the only thing which isn’t so great is the air conditioning if stationary. I presume this is because of the charge cooler in front of the a/c cooler...

I’ve been keeping an eye on intake temps and the car was saying 29c most of the day and the car felt like it still had full power which is positive!

How are you measuring your intake temps?

Nice drive by the way, I did similar many years ago, delivering a bright yellow Cobra CRS for my uncle in Marbella - 13 hours in one hit as we were worried about security with no roof.

16 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

You'll probably need the gearbox cooler for KT, After our tour through the french alps last week I certainly do. Also boiled the fluid for the clutch slave cylinder. Firing up an alpine pass in 3rd gear at the redline for 15 minutes heats things up dramatically.

IMG_20180614_164953.jpg

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

8 hours ago, 550superfast said:

How are you measuring your intake temps?

Nice drive by the way, I did similar many years ago, delivering a bright yellow Cobra CRS for my uncle in Marbella - 13 hours in one hit as we were worried about security with no roof.

I have a PLX Kiwi3 Bluetooth OBD reader which I then connect to an app called Auto Doctor. It gives the info you can see below, plus you can check logs if there are any problems etc.

unnamed-6.thumb.jpg.c4f89c67704620b1ba34077f8f51a94d.jpg

The drive has been great, I explored yesterday, then boshed out the last 500km today and have been enjoying relaxing at my new apartment with the girlfriend (who flew here!).

2 hours ago, TBD said:

You'll probably need the gearbox cooler for KT, After our tour through the french alps last week I certainly do. Also boiled the fluid for the clutch slave cylinder. Firing up an alpine pass in 3rd gear at the redline for 15 minutes heats things up dramatically.

You must have been driving like a head case!   I've been enjoying the roads at a reasonable pace and had no issues at all.   Tbh with the 460 kit I tend to ride the torque a lot more and be in a gear higher than I would have been as stock. 

2 hours ago, geartox said:

@GFWilliams you stay in Marbella in august ? I should pass there for few days.

I think I will be, give me a shout nearer the time :)

Nice George, enjoy the summer and the car - perfect weather for roof off action....every.....single....day.

We did something similar when my youngest was pre-school age, in Port de Pollenca Majorca. 

Fantastic memories.

1 hour ago, GFWilliams said:

You must have been driving like a head case!   I've been enjoying the roads at a reasonable pace and had no issues at all.   Tbh with the 460 kit I tend to ride the torque a lot more and be in a gear higher than I would have been as stock.

Track days are for amateurs, mountain passes are the real life. 

We had 2 Porsche GT4, I gave them 2 minutes head start at Galibier. Caughtvtge firstvone half way, the second just before the top (camper van between us). Four wheel drift to the left and less than 2 meters to the right.🤗

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower!