Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 46 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

23 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

2:25.57 and that was with traffic.  The ideal time was 2:23.80

Which is roughly 10s faster than totally stock Sport 350 with a good driver. :thumbup: Would be really interesting to find a way to decompose at least approximately what comes from more power and what from suspension.

And thank you for sharing!

Edited by vd9

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I unfortunately need to spend a load of money on kit for my business, so I’m going to offer my lovely big wing for sale with the Komo-tec uprights.   The end plates are currently liquid yellow, but they’re carbon underneath so any good body shop could strip off the yellow and re lacquer over bare carbon or paint them the colour of your car. 

I’m asking £1600 plus postage (collection preferred) which is less than I paid for the wing without the uprights, so I think it’s a great price for someone!

F8C311D0-BBCC-4929-88B3-C953A48974DC.jpeg

• Confused 1

On 15/11/2018 at 22:53, GFWilliams said:

I fancied a new look for winter... 

Just a test fit, but gives you an idea of how it’ll look.  I’ll fit them next week after the Silverstone day.

8D178B30-CCF0-4B73-86DD-631513EF4512.jpeg

Should be KCs, surely?

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2018 at 08:26, GFWilliams said:

Some photos from my mate

Now that's done it's time to fit my rally lights :D 

Screenshot 2018-11-19 at 18.29.36.jpg

Newbie here... looked like a fun drive! Where can I find details on the digital dash? 

@WayneG search on here and t'internet for GARW LCD Dash. Youtube videos and websites have details. GARW is the manufacturer.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi GF I was just watching some of your videos on youtube. I was watching one in particular at Silverstone where you were sliding it around and mentally thought "wow that's why I want a diff on my car" - then noted that in the comments it actually said you still had the open diff at that point.

The car looks incredibly composed and easy to slide. Maybe its because its on track - but my car isn't anywhere near that playful on the road. 

So I guess my question is if your car is that controllable on track why did you go for the diff? I'm thinking the diff will give me low speed oversteer on the road - but watching that video I'm thinking do I really need a diff given how immense it looks with an open diff?

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Lo2zz said:

Hi GF I was just watching some of your videos on youtube. I was watching one in particular at Silverstone where you were sliding it around and mentally thought "wow that's why I want a diff on my car" - then noted that in the comments it actually said you still had the open diff at that point.

The car looks incredibly composed and easy to slide. Maybe its because its on track - but my car isn't anywhere near that playful on the road. 

So I guess my question is if your car is that controllable on track why did you go for the diff? I'm thinking the diff will give me low speed oversteer on the road - but watching that video I'm thinking do I really need a diff given how immense it looks with an open diff?

Cheers!

If that’s the recent video as in this year then he did have a proper LSD.

www.alias23.com

13 hours ago, Lo2zz said:

Cheers!

The video you linked to was indeed with the original open diff, and it was sliding better than my most recent trip to Silverstone which I had the diff at.   There are a lot of factors which dictate if/how/when a car will slide, and the setup of the suspension and the tyres are just as important in this regard as the diff.

Anyone who says it's not possible to slide a car with an open diff is wrong, you just have to do it in a different way to the way you would do it if you had an LSD.  To get a car sliding with an LSD, you have to really throw the car to get it started, so the rear has lost enough traction to allow both rear wheels to spin.  If you think of how you would do oversteer in a front wheel drive car, this is very similar for a rwd car with an open diff.

When I recently went to Silverstone, I wasn't feeling confident in my setup and the car was a bit unpredictable in how it was sliding, regaining grip, etc, so even though I had the LSD, it wasn't sliding as nicely as when I had the open diff which was surprising.

If we talk about sliding in an environment like a road, it's very challenging with an open diff as you don't tend to start slides like that using momentum. You could maybe on a very large empty roundabout if you're brave/stupid enough, but an open diff will just spin the inside wheel and stop slides. An LSD powers up the inside wheel and will fire you out of the corner which can result in a slide.  If you want to slide on the road, an LSD is needed, but you do need to adjust the setup of the car.  My car will be going to Back on Track soon to get the setup fixed as it seems to be out recently.

What diff did you fit?

I used the exige cup 380 on track with the open diff and then I fitted the quaife differential and even tought you are rigt that the car will still allow slides with the open diff It was still too easy to make one wheel spin when giving power at the exit of the curve and I some ways I almost felt that it would only powerslide If you trow the car in the curve while with the quaife it would just slide if braking hard enough steering a little too much and the using power so that s the other way around of what you felt.

But of course I think it really depends a lot on the track type of curve car setup driving style etc.

I found that with the quaife atf type of diff there were no real changes on how the car reacts just better everywhere but in some ways the car with the open diff on the track would be more easy to drive if you exagerate as it would just spin one wheel and not tend to do anything else a little bit as with a fwd lol.

If you fitted a clutch type lsd then from what I understand they are more suited for real motorsport use but could be more setup specific and are usually adjustable to get the reaction you want from it so better but with a narrower band of use.

Pirelli Sotto Zero Winter tyres went on today.  Really impressed with how the car feels on them, very good turn in and lots of grip in greasy conditions. Rear end of the car is clearly less grip than the summer tyres due to less contact patch, but they give way in a lovely predictable way.  Quite happy to be running these, lets hope they last long enough to see some snow!

GFW_8998.jpg

GFW_8989.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DJW said:

Why have you sold the wing George ?

Work has been very quiet recently, so any money I can free up going into Christmas is a bonus.  Unfortunately my Caterham will be up for sale in Spring time too for similar reasons.

Back on the standard wing now, I’m not too upset to be honest...

7E605095-9A40-43CB-9737-936741D753B7.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what's more impressive, their work, or your dedication to drive it all the time. 48k is mega, fair play - fills me with hope as I daily mile and racked up 3000 miles since August. 

Always hard to find a good detailer who charges fair prices and does good work.

Topaz and DUB customs have poor service with high prices, yet everyone who doesn't know better think they're the mutts nutts.

Will definitely check them out after seeing this and the other pics.

17 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

@GFWilliams Looks great! Which package did you get and how much did you pay for it?

I went for the Crystal package, which is the full works.   It's £700 plus transport cost :)

26 minutes ago, RoflOnMyWaffle said:

Not sure what's more impressive, their work, or your dedication to drive it all the time. 48k is mega, fair play - fills me with hope as I daily mile and racked up 3000 miles since August. 

Always hard to find a good detailer who charges fair prices and does good work.

Topaz and DUB customs have poor service with high prices, yet everyone who doesn't know better think they're the mutts nutts.

Will definitely check them out after seeing this and the other pics.

In my experience, Topaz service has been top notch. Prices are on the high side, but you know you're getting a good job every time.

Zenith prices are a bit more sensible for normal people like us, so I'm very happy.