Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 44 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

GFWilliams Purple, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
1 minute ago, geartox said:

is it easy to fit the silencer ? Can you do it yourself ?

10mm spanner, undo bolts on the clamps of the old tips, then slide them off. Do the reverse for the new silencers. Takes 2 minutes max, so perfect for only using them at the track.  I’m just putting a couple of gentle heat cycles through them before the trackday before driving hard with them, normally I’ll fit them when I get to the track.

@GFWilliams as an aside, just watch your  "Driven" slot on YouTube, really good and well worth the ten minutes it took. 👍

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great result with the DBEaters. Without doubt that's going to be the best approach. Out of interest, is it a road or track system you have. I.e. was it trying to be quiet before you started or was it a louder road system?

1 minute ago, Sharky said:

Great result with the DBEaters. Without doubt that's going to be the best approach. Out of interest, is it a road or track system you have. I.e. was it trying to be quiet before you started or was it a louder road system?

I have the track system :)

I have asked Jim to make me a crazy loud exhaust later this year for the road, once my trackdays are out of the way. 😈

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/10/2018 at 15:07, GFWilliams said:

Time for a bit of a post trackday report...

It was at Abingdon which is an airfield near Oxford.  The track is laid out using cones, and is a fairly fun layout, although a bit "mickey mouse" compared to a "proper track" like Brands or Silverstone.   Due to the very changeable weather, the track in the morning was changing almost every lap.  I decided to drive the Caterham for most of the day and then do a couple of sessions in the afternoon in the Lotus when it was due to dry up.

I'll first report on the Caterham.  In the wet, the car is quite twitchy, which makes it quite exciting to drive. I think it's too twitchy though as it doesn't really inspire confidence. The car needs some setup work which DPR Racing will do at some stage before it next goes on track.   In the morning, the Caterham was comfortably the fastest car on track, although this was quite a lot due to me and my mate not being afraid to push on in wet conditions.   The car has a slight misfire issue due to the spark plugs (I think) and felt a tiny bit down on power compared to usual, but just felt quite slow on the straights. It's actually pretty frustrating on a trackday when you don't have the power to easily get past people, but can corner so much quicker.  In the afternoon, the track dried out and we did a couple of sessions in the Caterham and it was like a totally different car. The level of grip was super impressive and it was very well stuck. No sliding about and inspired a lot of confidence, but was a much more similar pace to a load of other cars on track in the dry.

I then decided to do a few sessions in the Lotus. Now I knew that the Lotus would be faster, but I didn't realise quite how much faster... After driving the Caterham all day up to that point, I had to really re learn how to drive the Lotus on track as it really requires a different driving style.  To start with, it's carrying an extra 10-15mph into almost all the corners, so you need to scrub off a lot more speed. Baring in mind the straights aren't very long at the track, that's a big difference!  Then the car requires a very different braking technique. In the Caterham I was braking in a straight line, then coming off the brakes to get it turned in. In the Lotus I needed to brake hard to begin with, then ease them off right upto the apex of the corner before getting onto the power.   I'm normally pretty comfortable in the Lotus, but it took me a bit of time to get used to this again.  I think also that my Nankang NS2-Rs front tyres have gone off a bit as the car didn't seem to turn in as well as usual.   Having said all those excuses, the car was just crazy how capable it is.  I was passing all the other cars as if they were standing still. In fact, on a few occasions I found myself approaching other cars so quick it nearly caught me out as the speed difference was massive.  Que a bit of a telling off from the Marshalls...  Strange getting a telling off that's not about drifting!

Overall, it was a really enjoyable day, although in future I know it's pointless bringing the Exige on airfield days.  I'll stick to Caterham on little tracks, and Exige on the big, proper, tracks!   Really happy with the noise testing on the Exige coming out at 90db, that means I can book trackdays next year at almost any track without worries.  I now have the debate of which tyres I should run at Silverstone next month.  I think Michelin Cup 2s are my favourite tyre I've run so far.

Thank you for the feedback. I am thinking about changing my Exige to something else next year, and maybe a car dedicated to trackdays. A Caterham seems to be a good candidate. Can I PM you about that, I have few questions? 

1 hour ago, geartox said:

Thank you for the feedback. I am thinking about changing my Exige to something else next year, and maybe a car dedicated to trackdays. A Caterham seems to be a good candidate. Can I PM you about that, I have few questions? 

I’m happy to try and help :) 

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 13:32, GFWilliams said:

Thanks for the kind words, it’s worth the effort of keeping the thread going for the few out there who enjoy it :)

My new 2bular add Ons arrived today in time for the trackday on Friday. They make a noticeable difference, it’s lovely and quiet!

67C8969A-BAAF-452B-A334-CBBF0C0328C4.thumb.jpeg.58ff78fd4e017e6bc6bba05f9e9f4815.jpeg

@GFWilliams Would it be viable to run a 2Bular "Road" backbox (on an otherwise standard 350 manifolds/cats/exhaust) and use these Add-On cans for trackdays?  Or do you think that the Road exhaust with valve open will just be far too loud even with the Add-Ons?

Trying to figure out how to achieve the unicorn solution of having an exhaust that can be: (i) a wailing banshee on the road (with valve open); (ii) civilised on the road (with valve shut); and (iii) quiet enough for most track days with valve open (to avoid any damage) and only requiring a quick/easy mod eg Add-On cans.  Am sure that this is a very common dilemma, so would be interested to hear what solutions people have adopted! Thanks

1 hour ago, Mattmahope said:

@GFWilliams Would it be viable to run a 2Bular "Road" backbox (on an otherwise standard 350 manifolds/cats/exhaust) and use these Add-On cans for trackdays?  Or do you think that the Road exhaust with valve open will just be far too loud even with the Add-Ons?

Trying to figure out how to achieve the unicorn solution of having an exhaust that can be: (i) a wailing banshee on the road (with valve open); (ii) civilised on the road (with valve shut); and (iii) quiet enough for most track days with valve open (to avoid any damage) and only requiring a quick/easy mod eg Add-On cans.  Am sure that this is a very common dilemma, so would be interested to hear what solutions people have adopted! Thanks

The short answer is "no".    It's designed for the road and with the valve plus add ons would be too loud for track and would risk damage to the exhaust.

My recommendation would be to get the 2bular track exhaust with the add ons, then keep the road exhaust for the road.   It's not that difficult a job to switch them.  My plan is to have an exhaust for the road and an exhaust for track, Jim is working towards having my new custom road exhaust with me soon... 

3 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

Thanks @GFWilliams. Are you allowed to reveal the specs of your new road exhaust? I could be tempted by one of those...

It’s a non valved exhaust with not much silencing and a decat :)  I’ll post photos and videos when it arrives (aiming for a couple of weeks time).

• Like 2