free hit
counters
GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 16 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GFWilliams

GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
15 hours ago, NW76 said:

Looks very good - any idea were Lotus gets those from?!?

I assume from Momo :P ... It looks like the Montecarlo  : https://www.momo.com/en-gb/product/montecarlo-eu/ (it can be configured here : https://www.momo.com/en-gb/designer/configure/19531/)

Montecarlo.png

but I think the "Team" model could be fine as well, thicker, and more like the OEM : 

Team.png

Edited by French Frie
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chumaxa said:

SO how much was the lsd + fitting  ?

LSD was £858

Fitting of the LSD was £1228

The gearbox work was £1963.

All work carried out at @Hangar 111.

For those interested, here are some photos of the worn gears which I was told were worn enough that I should replace them:

Photo 08-12-2017, 17 53 57.JPG

Photo 08-12-2017, 17 54 04.JPG

Photo 08-12-2017, 17 54 09.JPG

Photo 08-12-2017, 17 54 12.JPG

Photo 08-12-2017, 17 54 28.JPG

Photo 08-12-2017, 17 54 37.JPG

Photo 09-12-2017, 08 57 28.JPG

Photo 09-12-2017, 08 58 30.JPG

Photo 09-12-2017, 08 58 34.JPG

Photo 09-12-2017, 08 58 40.JPG

Photo 09-12-2017, 08 58 46.JPG

Photo 09-12-2017, 08 58 48.JPG

I’m no expert but it’s only pictures 8/9 where I can see any real wear... did it really require a full overhaul? Seems a touch overkill

www.alias23.com

In case anyone was wondering, the tapers that look like wear on the inner teeth of that slider ring are by design. They help keep the gear from skipping out under load/vibration. There are plenty of chipped dog teeth there though and some on the external dogs in the early pics. The gear teeth look pretty good. Are some of these swapped out for the KT close ratios?

Pic 2 is probably most telling, looks like clear deformation of the dog interfaces, especially on the right-most of shot (from what I can make out, anyway). As Martyn says, the gear profiles themselves look good.

Actually, looking at the pics in more detail, there are some interesting design details in this box. Many of them superficially look like wear.

1. The external dog teeth are asymmetric, I assume to aid engagement. You can tell this by the fact that all the points are offset, at their roots, where wear would be limited.
  2. The internal dogs on the slider actually have different profiles around the circumference. Each set goes "O^^^^^OO^^^^^O O " where O is tall and rounded, and ^ is pointed and slightly lower. Again I guess this aids a smooth engagement.

Wow!

There are definitely some chips on the internal dogs in pic 8 though. "Graunch ggggraunch! Oops!"

• Like 2

On 13.12.2017 at 17:33, NW76 said:

Looks very good - any idea were Lotus gets those from?!?

I've heard ProDrive

• Thanks 1

Great photos as always. Thanks.

New interior looks great, but I'm not sure about the black knob. Are you thinking of paint or black anodizing?

58 minutes ago, suffolk009 said:

Great photos as always. Thanks.

New interior looks great, but I'm not sure about the black knob. Are you thinking of paint or black anodizing?

If I go ahead with it I'll probably anodise it, then fill in the gear numbers with yellow paint.

• Thanks 1

Is it not worth going the extra mile for ohlins George , seeing as you aim to keep the car for a long period of time ? 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

On 24/12/2017 at 20:03, DJW said:

Is it not worth going the extra mile for ohlins George , seeing as you aim to keep the car for a long period of time ? 

I want to have the same suspension as the 430 Cup and Nitron have been great in helping me out with my old dampers (which are going for a rebuild before I sell them).

Fair do’s, I’m impressed with the 2 ways on mine with ARB’s, although I need to back of settings for road as I expect they are currently set for track.  

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

The yellow really stands out in the snow

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

On 28/12/2017 at 13:54, pete said:

The yellow really stands out in the snow

And so do those rear lights - bloody love them! Pity they are so pricey!

3 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

And so do those rear lights - bloody love them! Pity they are so pricey!

It's all relative, to me they were quite good value.

• Thanks 1