free hit
counters
GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 31 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

So I tried placing the front service hatch from the 430 onto my car and was surprised how awful it looks. I love the design, but the carbon just doesn’t work with yellow IMO.  Maybe at some stage I’ll get one and get it painted in Liquid Yellow?

090635D9-562B-4BE6-95B8-62A469E7BB9C.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Splash. 

Had an amazing day at Rockingham today, the car is fantastic. Setup isn't quite right on the suspension but still fun regardless.  Will go into more detail as to my thoughts on the car when properly p

Some photos this evening

Posted Images

On 21/03/2018 at 16:05, GFWilliams said:

430 Cup vs 460 "GFW"   :lol:

DSC_7988_1.jpg

So dropped of my LF1 at B&C couple of days ago (goodbye!) and they very kindly gave me the 430 for a couple of days. Bumped into @GFWilliams and decided what better way to spend the afternoon than for a quick meet up for some comparisons.

There's a lot of stuff to take in while in @GFWilliams "460" car that's for sure. The seats are awesome, although it took me a few minutes to get buckled in! Overall, great job!

As much as I love the yellow that's on both, I don't think I can drive around in one, but the colour especially in the sunlight is worth the cost I think.

As for the access panel, I think it looks good on yours providing you get a black roof as well (and a bigger spoiler etc etc :))

Personally I hate black roofs on light colours, it ruins the lines of the car to me. Plus a shame to have black when you can have an interesting colour! I'll be keeping as much Liquid Yellow as possible...

• Like 1
On 21/03/2018 at 17:52, BatMobile said:

How much smaller is the 430? Or is it purely the angle that makes it look more Elise like.

agree though, much prefer the older models to this new 430 look. 

When you see the 430 on its own it isn’t as obvious (to my untrained eye at least), glad my sensible side prevailed and I didn’t upgrade to one. Carbon and tvs1900 for mine it is!

I was puzzled by that TVS1900 upgrade option - seems like a massive amount of money for 50ish bhp extra over the EX460, which is already an absolute rocket ship.

• Gold FFM

@BfranklynV6 TVS do a chargecooled version which is the one I will most likely go for. George has kindly offered for me to see his car as the ex460 package is hard to ignore but I haven’t seen both in the real world, apparently not much between them. 

2 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

So I tried placing the front service hatch from the 430 onto my car and was surprised how awful it looks. I love the design, but the carbon just doesn’t work with yellow IMO.  Maybe at some stage I’ll get one and get it painted in Liquid Yellow?

Jup, I had the same "issue".  Had the panel resprayed in gloss black.  Idem for the side intakes.

sidevent_small.jpg

side380_small.jpg

Edited by Kristof Thys
2 minutes ago, BatMobile said:

@BfranklynV6 TVS do a chargecooled version which is the one I will most likely go for. George has kindly offered for me to see his car as the ex460 package is hard to ignore but I haven’t seen both in the real world, apparently not much between them. 

By TVS do you mean SSC?

I don’t really understand the TVS 1900 as an option.  You still have restrictive manifolds, so in theory should change them. Then you have the charger temperatures, I understand that it’s less stressed, but on track you’d still benefit from a charge cooler. If you add a charge cooler, surely the cost ends up more than a 460 anyway?

Then there’s the matter of the clutch and gearbox. In theory, they are suited to max 430hp as per the factory cars. This is the limit of what Toyota will allow I believe.  So if you add a bigger charger, and get more torque, you’re more likely to break them?

Komo-tec do a TVS1900 option in the form of the ex500, but they also change internals of the engine and say it will only work if you change the gearbox.

So I guess I’m asking, what is the point of changing the supercharger and charge cooling, when you are limited in other areas like manifolds and the gearbox. Surely makes more sense to push the standard supercharger to its “limit” (I’ve never heard of one failing!) and sort the flow issues, plus charge cool to control temps.

In 'normal' yellow, for reference:

03-lotus-exige-sport-350-roadster-geneva

Totally with your on the black roof, George. Both points were exactly my motivation for the body coloured roof on my Cup order.

51 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

You still have restrictive manifolds

Contrary to popular belief (as perpetuated by a particular exhaust builder), the OEM manifolds aren’t actually that restrictive. The factory 430bhp cars still use them and they don’t seem to struggle. 

• Gold FFM

I always thought the big issue was the 2 cats stuck to the side of the engine cooking it. The 2bular headers I added to my NA certainly made a difference in the mid range and to engine heat.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

49 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Contrary to popular belief (as perpetuated by a particular exhaust builder), the OEM manifolds aren’t actually that restrictive. The factory 430bhp cars still use them and they don’t seem to struggle. 

I believe Komo-tec did back to back testing and while the downpipe didn’t make a difference to performance, the manifolds and cats were found to be restrictive to performance. We’re yet to see a 430 Cup on a dyno, will be interesting to see!

Interesting how we all have different views of looks of cars.  I feel the black front access panel makes the car look much better, but prefer a body coloured roof.   

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

6 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Do Lotus not have to use the manifolds because they come as part of a package with the engines from Toyota?

Steve. 

3 hours ago, 2GOOD said:

Or the best roof for the summer (not available colour coded)...

120E5CB3-170B-46FA-AF2D-F5950273E70A.thumb.jpeg.4dfe60bad2007804ba245125ae8fce1d.jpeg

Also had the soft top on today and for part of blat , the roof off .  Roll on summer 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

9 hours ago, C7steve said:

Do Lotus not have to use the manifolds because they come as part of a package with the engines from Toyota?

Steve. 

Yep, pretty much. 

But they are still ok for at least 430bhp. The OEM manifolds might have other issues but they aren’t overly restrictive to the flow. 

Allegedly, the catalyst on similar designs of manifolds has been known to get sucked back into the engine.