free hit
counters
GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 43 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GFWilliams

GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

52 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Well I bought some winter tyres...    Any ideas for interesting winter road trips?

6185F8F9-9376-4B12-AD4F-2B049AB169A9.jpeg

I'd be off to the Alps, try and catch some Cols and passes before they close. Or better yet, if you have the time, the Atlantic road at the top of Norway. Take in the Laerdal tunnel on the way.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

This is not an attempt at a negative question, I think your exige is one of the best. But, for the money you have spent do you ever wish you had bought a 430? I know yours is 460, but, you must have spent a fortune by now and could have gone the whole hog in the first place.

I suppose you couldn't alter a 430 much, as that would take the collector aspect away from it.

Again, not judging your choice, just interested in your opinion

I think @GFWilliams with his very individual Exige is cost wise still well below a 430 and his car is probably faster ... 

That makes a good read. I wonder what response a 430 owner could give

1 minute ago, Dan.G said:

That makes a good read. I wonder what response a 430 owner could give

I'd be interested to hear from @RRSSS as he's had a short ride in my car and owns a 430 :) 

Built not bought (individuality) vs bought not built (manufacturer security)

17 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

I'd be interested to hear from @RRSSS as he's had a short ride in my car and owns a 430 :) 

"Short" but very sideways ride...

I'm glad different people go down different routes in car ownership, as the saying goes, otherwise we'd all be driving the same thing. @GFWilliams has spent the time and "trial and error" of many things in his car to get it right for him. Small things: I like the fact that he's machine cut the a/c knobs for example, very clever. I've had the benefit of going through "Lotus Exclusive" so my interior is slightly more bespoke than standard. In fact, I think it's also unique to me! And all my carbon bits have symmetry 😋. Looks-wise, I know we've talked about this before standing in front of a 380 Cup, but I prefer the looks of the updated front bumper (i.e. 430). Initially I was sceptical, but it has more than grown on me (same as the smaller spoiler end plates!).

Obviously you wouldn't want to modify a brand new 430 Cup for fear of warranty issues, so let's say that's not a realistic scenario to most people.

I'm glad I sold the LF1 and went for the 430 Cup. The fact that I "visually" personalised it so that it's basically a 1 of 1 is a tremendous add-on ☺️. As for performance comparisons, well @GFWilliams let's get both side by side, forget the "rev battles" in chiswick and let's see how much faster the 430 is 😋 (kidding, I have no idea which one's faster!)

• Like 2

@RRSSS - I think that's the perfect response and interesting points about the exclusive programme. 

19th November at Silverstone...  Come along!   (can you pass a 102 driveby? 🙈)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I fully appreciate the approach you have both taken, it's not about the cost, it's about passion and creating your own stamp. I fully get it.

My question is this, would you do it all again (considering cost, time, blood, sweat and tears) buy, spend and build (460) or buy ready made and personalise (430)?

This is a really interesting line of discussion, and one I am following with interest given that I am slowly embarking on "upgrading" my 350 Sport! I own my car outright (ie no finance) and I can't afford to splash out on a 430 Cup in one hit, nor do I want to finance the difference.  So that really only leaves me with the option of modifying what I've got - although that's no bad thing.  I have wanted a true project car for a while and am really excited about the prospect of creating my bespoke spec and learning more about the car in the process.  Modifying also has the benefit of being able to tackle jobs in stages as time/money allows, which is ideal for me.

From my perspective, I'd be very interested to hear from George and others what mods they see as having made the biggest difference - whether that's outright regardless of cost (eg KT 460 kit or Nitrons), or on a value for money basis (eg lightweight battery or bigger fuel tank), or perhaps just a nice small touch (eg the machine cut a/c knobs mentioned above) - and on the other hand what mods they would either not bother with again or do differently given the chance.

First major step for me is fitting a Quaife LSD.  Car is going into H111 this month - I'm nervous and excited in equal measure!

49 minutes ago, Mattmahope said:

First major step for me is fitting a Quaife LSD.  Car is going into H111 this month - I'm nervous and excited in equal measure!

If you're opening up the gearbox to add an LSD, you might as well upgrade the clutch and flywheel whilst you're there. 

1 hour ago, Bravo73 said:

If you're opening up the gearbox to add an LSD, you might as well upgrade the clutch and flywheel whilst you're there. 

Yes, new 430 clutch and flywheel going in at the same time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

This is a really interesting line of discussion, and one I am following with interest given that I am slowly embarking on "upgrading" my 350 Sport! I own my car outright (ie no finance) and I can't afford to splash out on a 430 Cup in one hit, nor do I want to finance the difference.  So that really only leaves me with the option of modifying what I've got - although that's no bad thing.  I have wanted a true project car for a while and am really excited about the prospect of creating my bespoke spec and learning more about the car in the process.  Modifying also has the benefit of being able to tackle jobs in stages as time/money allows, which is ideal for me.

From my perspective, I'd be very interested to hear from George and others what mods they see as having made the biggest difference - whether that's outright regardless of cost (eg KT 460 kit or Nitrons), or on a value for money basis (eg lightweight battery or bigger fuel tank), or perhaps just a nice small touch (eg the machine cut a/c knobs mentioned above) - and on the other hand what mods they would either not bother with again or do differently given the chance.

In order of how much I think the mods are worth doing:
1. Tillett Seats as they're so much more comfortable
2. LSD because it makes the car a lot more predictable and therefore more fun
3. 60l Fuel tank as it was a pain with the normal tank
4. 460hp Komo-tec Kit because it's mad
5. Nitrons because they're needed with the other stuff
6. Komo-tec brakes because they're needed with the extra power
7. Interior mods

I try to forget the price of mods, I really like the things like the air vents and machine cut A/C vents which are far from essential, but take thought and effort to do.

The car is now at a stage where I'm very happy with it, so any future mods aren't that high on my priority list.  I think the next things will be stiff engine mounts (actually stiff, not the wuss spec @alias23 went for) and a @Hangar 111 gearbox cooler.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

@RRSSS - I think that's the perfect response and interesting points about the exclusive programme. 

19th November at Silverstone...  Come along!   (can you pass a 102 driveby? 🙈)

Lol see you in the car park 😑

50 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

I actually find the seats in the 430 comfier than in my LF1 before.. not sure if the padding has improved or alcantara. Getting in and out of your Tilletts are a bloody nightmare! Perhaps this is down to individual feel for each person as we're all built differently. 

Also on my trip to Prague, the standard fuel tank wasn't that big a deal, except through Germany when it was emptying out at an alarming rate due to the "de-restricted" roads.. I get that on track the larger tank has its benefits.

Yes, I've certainly found it interesting learning about the mod's George has made, and others on here too.  I'm very happy with my Exige but it would be great with some extra grunt and I don't think I could justify the extra for a 430 Cup when I can upgrade mine.  I also currently have the standard exhaust which allows me to drive the tracks I want to without noise problems.  With a 430 Cup (or 410) I've got to find an aftermarket exhaust solution to get the noise levels down first off and that frustrates me a little bit.  

As the winter approaches I guess many of us start thinking about options... 🙂

@GFWilliams I’ll have my mounts and gearbox oil cooler installed before you.... 

PS. Do you even go on track?

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

2 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

2. LSD because it makes the car a lot more predictable and therefore more fun
4. 460hp Komo-tec Kit because it's mad
5. Nitrons because they're needed with the other stuff
6. Komo-tec brakes because they're needed with the extra power
7. Interior mods

I try to forget the price of mods, I really like the things like the air vents and machine cut A/C vents which are far from essential, but take thought and effort to do.

The car is now at a stage where I'm very happy with it, so any future mods aren't that high on my priority list.  I think the next things will be stiff engine mounts (actually stiff, not the wuss spec @alias23 went for) and a @Hangar 111 gearbox cooler.

George, where would forged wheels sit on that list?

2 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

George, where would forged wheels sit on that list?

I'm running around on my cast wheels at the moment and hate the look of them. The car does feel a little more nimble with the forged wheels, but nothing massively dramatic.  I'd say they're probably bottom of the list in all honesty.

• Like 1

I am curious to know the static level of dB with the silencer

2 hours ago, geartox said:

I am curious to know the static level of dB with the silencer

I’ve done my own tests and they help a lot.  I’ll wait until official testing at the track though to report back.  The limit is 100db which I’m now comfortably under.

I’m more worried about the Caterham passing...