free hit
counters
GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 52 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GFWilliams

GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

22 minutes ago, Jack said:

Gordon, do you know if those scoops are wider than the standard 350 ones?

They are. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice to be back in the UK and take the Exige out for a drive today. The mirror was flapping around and wasn't at all tight. I twisted it around which would normally tighten the nut on the bolt, but it just cracked and unfortunately sheered all the way through seconds after on its own due to the weight of the mirror.

IMG_4466.thumb.JPG.ce9f6e2ee97608084ff4c18b12ef1ac3.JPG

So that's the end of that mirror stalk, which means I'm now very motivated to make progress with the new ones in Aluminium.  I'm keeping the design very simple.  The base of the mount which attaches to the door has to have a decent thickness to it to provide stability, but the stalk will then taper into a thinner stalk than the TF stalk is as this means that it can go direct into the ball joint with no gaps.  To save on costs, the stalk will be symmetrical so works on both sides of the cars.  I'm not sure if the ball joint will be a separate part or whether it can all be done as one part, ideally, it would be one part. The threads will be tapped directly into the base of the mount so the same bolts as the OEM mirrors can be used.

Here is a crude drawing of the side view of the mirror. New 3D drawings are being worked on at the moment.

mirror-side.thumb.jpg.330dcc14ba9b1429028977ad5b55fe1a.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 550superfast said:

I have a pair of magical racing mirrors, but was not prepared to use the shitty mounts they came with. 

Precisely why I'm working on new mounts. I'm hoping to do a small run of them as others have expressed interest.

3 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Precisely why I'm working on new mounts. I'm hoping to do a small run of them as others have expressed interest.

@GFWilliams I'm in (if u will have me) if the window fit looks good. Some of the attempts at mounts have been pretty poor...

cheers

@GFWilliams Hi mate, They look good!!

One thing though... Is there a better way to mount the arms to the mirrors other than using screws?

cheers

Mark

These carbon mirrors. Are they based in Japan on a Japanese Web Page or am I being a muppet. It’s option 4 yeah?

When this happens I literally just get the carbon mirrors ordered, does the screw mount come fitted to the mirror base?

Anyone know the delivery time once the carbon mirrors are ordered from MRMirrors  web site.  

On 26/05/2019 at 22:23, Mark030358 said:

@GFWilliams Hi mate, They look good!!

One thing though... Is there a better way to mount the arms to the mirrors other than using screws?

cheers

Mark

The screws hold the plate in place which is how the ball joint attaches. This is essential to work for the ball joint and the screws allow you to tighten it up. Personally I don’t mind them, they’re in the underside of the mirror so pretty inoffensive from angles you normally view the mirror from.

7 hours ago, Andy Norman said:

These carbon mirrors. Are they based in Japan on a Japanese Web Page or am I being a muppet. It’s option 4 yeah?

When this happens I literally just get the carbon mirrors ordered, does the screw mount come fitted to the mirror base?

Anyone know the delivery time once the carbon mirrors are ordered from MRMirrors  web site.  

The mirrors are the type 4 option and I believe you have to pick a stalk from them. Of course this won’t be used if you purchase a stalk with me and can easily be removed to fit my stalk instead.

i believe the delivery time is about a month.

3 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

The screws hold the plate in place which is how the ball joint attaches. This is essential to work for the ball joint and the screws allow you to tighten it up. Personally I don’t mind them, they’re in the underside of the mirror so pretty inoffensive from angles you normally view the mirror from.

The mirrors are the type 4 option and I believe you have to pick a stalk from them. Of course this won’t be used if you purchase a stalk with me and can easily be removed to fit my stalk instead.

i believe the delivery time is about a month.

Thanks mate. 

Where did you get the carbon engine cover from? I love this one but thought it was 6.000.000 € from Lotus..

36 minutes ago, Christian H said:

Where did you get the carbon engine cover from? I love this one but thought it was 6.000.000 € from Lotus..

I got it from someone on instagram, he's got one more, but @BatMobile asked if he could get it at the trackday, so it might be gone soon!

Back on the subject of Snetterton, unfortunately my GoPro was full by the afternoon (note to self, buy bigger microSD cards for next time...), but this was a respectable lap during the morning.  I was 6 seconds quicker on my fastest lap of the day, improved thanks to getting more confident with the track and what speeds I can hold through certain corners, plus better lines.  I also realised that I didn't really need second gear apart from in corner two as the car has so much torque, the extra two gear changes were hurting my times.

Discovered why my ABS was causing issues on the trackday. I thought it was a warped disc, changed it over today and it turned out to be a big crack all the way to the edge on the rear face of the disc.  Lesson learned to check both sides of the disc before trackdays.  I already had a spare disc in the garage, but ordered another from @Seriouslylotus which I’ll fit on the other side next week before I drive it again.  Also worth saying that the holes in the discs were full of brake dust so won’t have been able to cool too well.  If I’d cleared the holes out they might have lasted a little longer.

1C80F540-14E7-4089-A779-C2A6728A204B.thumb.jpeg.5a0c21ef85d3829f0178914b1f70b3dc.jpeg

Cross-drilled disks are not really a good choice for active real use of the car, I'd always go for slotted brake disks in any performance car (and will do so once current stock disks are done). You've been lucky with this crack, fingers crossed for the luck to continue.

1 hour ago, GFWilliams said:

Also worth saying that the holes in the discs were full of brake dust so won’t have been able to cool too well

Worth mentioning that holes and slots are normally not really for cooling, but for removal of the gasses from the face of the brake pad under hard use

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vd9 said:

Cross-drilled disks are not really a good choice for active real use of the car, I'd always go for slotted brake disks in any performance car (and will do so once current stock disks are done). You've been lucky with this crack, fingers crossed for the luck to continue.

Worth mentioning that holes and slots are normally not really for cooling, but for removal of the gasses from the face of the brake pad under hard use

Easy to say, but when faced with spending £1300+ on upgraded rear brakes vs £300 for new stock discs, I’ll stick to stock for now. Eventually I’ll upgrade when funds allow as I’m sure the car will feel better with more rear braking power.  I personally think drilled are okay as long as you keep an eye on them, I made the mistake of not checking the rear face of them unfortunately otherwise they would have been replaced before the trackday!

9 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Easy to say, but when faced with spending £1300+ on upgraded rear brakes vs £300 for new stock discs, I’ll stick to stock for now. Eventually I’ll upgrade when funds allow as I’m sure the car will feel better with more rear braking power.  I personally think drilled are okay as long as you keep an eye on them, I made the mistake of not checking the rear face of them unfortunately otherwise they would have been replaced before the trackday!

Is there not an affordable non drilled option? It's the holes that effectively make the structure weaker...

9 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

PS, on a different note, what make are your rear sills?

For the car that is being used properly, I'd always prioritise critically important things like tyres, brakes, all the fluids, suspension over cosmetic improvements. Understand it is just a matter of priorities.

As always, great service from @Seriouslylotus - I fitted the new discs and pads this afternoon (quite a simple job thanks to the drum handbrake). They're a second hand set, but in good condition.  Nice to not have to bed them in myself, so I could go straight out and test them.  Hard to tell from a short drive on the road, but they feel much better and ABS isn't cutting in early now, which makes a big difference.   Now need to give the car another clean, then it's MOT on Saturday.

IMG_8142new.jpg

• Like 1