free hit
counters
GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 60 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GFWilliams

GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

I'm rather surprised too.
Please let us know once you'll know more, whether or not the LSD died (and why 🤔), or if it's somewhere else in the transmission 👍

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
28 minutes ago, Wilbert Camshaft said:

To my knowledge Quaife ATB differentials come with a lifetime warranty whereat track use is explicitly not exluded - so if it's a Quaife differential (i thought you had a Drexler plate type fitted) I would contact them

The problem is, the actual diff (even just buying a new one) is a relatively small cost compared to getting it out of the car and sending it to someone who can rebuild the diff.

Can't drive the car at the moment, so not hugely concerned about the gearbox!

Mega project this🤘 - not so sure on the colour choice but top marks for going wild.

The box issue is an interesting development. When you say the diff doesn't work I assume that it doesn't lock any more? Did it gradually deteriorate or one day it just decided not to lock and function as an open diff?

Not a fan of ATB diffs myself but they are usually pretty bulletproof and fit and forget items. Gear popping out doesn't have to be worn syncros (especially if you can effortlessly select gears and experience no crunching) but sometimes worn mounts can cause this particularly if the extra movement takes it toll to the linkage. 

I guess you know all this - keep us updated and good luck with the project!  

Awesome pic:)

Quaiffe are not great when it comes to rectifying a potential issue with their product as they will always try and blame something else, ask me how I know;) With that said, if the diff does not lock when both wheels are on the ground then the item has gone belly up and they won't have any excuses.  

In regards to the 'gear popping out' issue I would also check the cables as a first move to make sure everything is fine - especially as you have upgraded to the revised linkage. I might be wrong but I understand that fitting this to older cars is not a easy and widely done modification as yet so there might be some potential for fine tuning - just an idea before you start opening the box to check the syncros:)

18 minutes ago, MrD said:

Awesome pic:)

Quaiffe are not great when it comes to rectifying a potential issue with their product as they will always try and blame something else, ask me how I know;) With that said, if the diff does not lock when both wheels are on the ground then the item has gone belly up and they won't have any excuses.  

In regards to the 'gear popping out' issue I would also check the cables as a first move to make sure everything is fine - especially as you have upgraded to the revised linkage. I might be wrong but I understand that fitting this to older cars is not a easy and widely done modification as yet so there might be some potential for fine tuning - just an idea before you start opening the box to check the syncros:)

We'll have a proper look at things when we can next get the car on a ramp, I'm missing Back on Track, need to get booked in for something 😆

7 minutes ago, Jack said:

Beautiful interior GF!  👍

Thanks Jack, I'm really happy with it apart from the steering wheel which is quite worn now.  I think it might be time for a removable steering wheel from @Seriouslylotus soon!

when my 3rd gear started popping I asked KomoTec for help and it turned out that this is a well known issue - they overhauled the gear box (amongst others a shifting claw had to be replaced) charged 2.600 Euro and everything was fine, compared to what i would have been charged by Porsche in a similar case a real bargain.

4 hours ago, Wilbert Camshaft said:

when my 3rd gear started popping I asked KomoTec for help and it turned out that this is a well known issue - they overhauled the gear box (amongst others a shifting claw had to be replaced) charged 2.600 Euro and everything was fine, compared to what i would have been charged by Porsche in a similar case a real bargain.

Thx for this Information Wilbert. Until now gears don't pop out in my 5 year old Exige V6 with > 50k km, but 1. and 2. gear make a squeaking noise, when selected. Komo-Tec told me similar. Could be that parts of the gearbox might be worn out (claws - was told they are out of softer material and not made for engaging gear in higher revs). 

@Gerorge, very timely video for me as I’m also looking at the Aim dash & SmartyCam 😀

i wonder if you could say how you plan to wire in the Channel Expander?

i was thinking of using two Datahubs - one in the front dash attached via an extension lead to the 2nd Hub positioned on the rear bulkhead. Then connect the SmartyCam & Channel Extender (placed in the engine bay) to datahub 2. My thinking is this will give the maximum flexibility.

Thoughts?

17 hours ago, Oujew said:

@Gerorge, very timely video for me as I’m also looking at the Aim dash & SmartyCam 😀

i wonder if you could say how you plan to wire in the Channel Expander?

i was thinking of using two Datahubs - one in the front dash attached via an extension lead to the 2nd Hub positioned on the rear bulkhead. Then connect the SmartyCam & Channel Extender (placed in the engine bay) to datahub 2. My thinking is this will give the maximum flexibility.

Thoughts?

That is very possible but adds a bit more cost, The sensor leads/ camera leads are the same price regardless of the lengths, so i just used a data hub and can expander located near the dash

Boring update...

I've decided not to respray the car at all and gearbox rebuild will be delayed as much as I can. Priorities in life are changing, I want to buy a house and need to spend less on the car to do so.

I'll still use and enjoy the car, but there will be less(maybe no) track use I think. It's the track use which costs a fortune in running costs and I can't justify it until the house is sorted.

I do have something new coming for the car, a suction bike rack so I can go for a drive, then go for a bike ride after... 

GFW_5675web.jpg

• Like 2

You've reached 'peak youtuber' now. it always goes something like this:

"I can't believe I'm buying my dream car"..

Next video:

"I'm selling my dream car"

Seriously though, it sounds like a worthwhile change in priorities, shame as I was really looking forward to seeing the respray. I agree though, track use is the absolute killer on these in terms of running cost. Ok,  it's a drop in ocean compared to tracking other marques, but with pure road use, a Lotus costs next to nothing. It's actually been really nice having cash available during this lockdown period to get on with other things. I know you've been enjoying the road bike, so any opportunity to use that more can only be a goo thing.

• Love 1

I too was looking forward to the next stage of your cars journey, but then I do think it looks pretty damned bloody spectacular as it is!

After 25 years in a house, I'd much prefer to put my money into a car lol - if you think a Lotus is expensive to track then just try living in, maintaining and upgrading a bloody house. The European way of "renting" to me is so much more a sensible way to live. In the UK people don't want a home, they want a bloody investment and then complain the prices are too high after they've enjoyed the value increase and are trying to move on. We really are a fooked up nation - but that's another rant all together.

Any way, good luck with the house. Keep us updated on your car and keep sharing some of your great pictures, many of which have been on my PC as a screen saver!

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Not the garage but the shop or man cave!

2 hours ago, GazzyFizzle said:

First thing I did in my house, is fit porcelain tiles on the floor of the garage... Priorities right?

Good luck with the search!

Completely agree,

Just getting my Lotus shed done now. By the way what Ramps did you use ?

Had the car on the scales yesterday. Fuel gauge said 99%, so not sure exactly how much was in, but I’d guess 50l which is about 37kg. Still had subwoofer in and sound proofing. But had my decat noisy exhaust which is a bit lighter than my quiet track exhaust with sports cat.

I want to reduce the weight a bit, so planning on taking apart the interior and getting rid of anything which I don’t deem necessary. Sound proofing under the carpet will be the first thing to come out... 

E0E9BB8A-421C-43D5-9B93-F88CB1196560.jpeg

On 20/05/2020 at 20:50, GFWilliams said:

Bike rack arrived!

GFW_7813.thumb.jpg.1d9161186f5c6f8144d1e69ee6bb703a.jpg

GFW_7820.thumb.jpg.fe94dff89fcb12795644d207d35ac039.jpg

I’ve been eyeing one of these racks for my Evora. The local bike shop has an retro lotus race bike and I was planning on borrowing that for a few photos on the roof of my car!

• Like 1