free hit
counters
GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 65 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Until it rains :lol:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It’s when you have to stop in the rain that the problem starts. Putting the roof on is like trying to erect a tent in the pouring rain.

I’m an ex Caterham owner and I didn’t learn because I subsequently bought a 2-11!

I found the novelty of the Caterham soon wore off. It’s a very different driving experience to Elise/Exige and I just preferred the Elise as a drivers car - the fact it was also practical (compared to a 7) was just a bonus.

The lack of safety never bothered me. I also ride a motorcycle so I’m used to feeling exposed. It forces you to pay extra attention to what’s happening around you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

You’ve clearly never driven a Caterham in the rain. It’s one of the most fun experiences possible in a car!

The most terrifying drive of my life was a Superlight 1600K on packed Belgian motorways, on ACB10s, no windscreen, in the pouring rain.

Little update... Spring clean was needed on my car and a few weeks ago I spent the day under the car using dry ice to clean the underside of the car and then protecting it with spray wax.   Dry ice is a non abrasive way of cleaning mechanical components and I was very impressed. It doesn't strip the surface coatings, only the dirt, so this is just a way of cleaning properly to then be able to protect for longer.   Eventually I'll do a full suspension refresh, but this has helped to protect it for a good while longer.  The trick if using wax to protect the underside of a car is to do it regularly, and as I didn't have a garage for a while I'd let it slip. In future I'll do it at least every 6 months.

Under the sea before image:

GFW_3486web.thumb.jpg.9c23b3cdaffc3a9b784aee4eefe24fd3.jpg

After looking much much better:

GFW_3628web.thumb.jpg.3673cb8cee53c562f2a3c8cd96fbb437.jpg

Before/after split image which shows how much better the car looks now!

GFW_3475web.thumb.jpg.46de9ed704c99e16bd837aeeb4664a23.jpg

My exhaust has been blowing and getting worse recently, and I suspected it was the Flexi in the Y pipe (again! This is my second one now). The decat link pipe I'd put in before was a bit of a nightmare to fit and was putting too much pressure on the flexi due to not fitting perfectly. Unfortunately this means the expensive Y pipe now has to go in the bin. To try to fix the problem more long term, I've decided to put in a 400 series Y pipe with the sports cat from Komotec.  @Seriouslylotusnow keeps Komo-tec in stock, so it was with me the next day!

Before anyone comments, yes it's suppose to have the "dent". This is to fit around the gearbox.  Hopefully by having a full komotec and OEM system now, instead of a mix of komotec and 2bular, it'll fit a bit better and not cause any future problems.

816617939_WhatsAppImage2021-03-13at11_42_00.thumb.jpeg.b233e86824daef1c07e66558a5f1e769.jpeg

536275693_WhatsAppImage2021-03-13at11_42_20.thumb.jpeg.a0dd63187ac34a95cf4cb3ea4d1aa5a7.jpeg

Car will be a bit quieter with a cat back in, but to be honest, I'm fed up of it being so loud anyway, so it'll be nice change. 

Eventually I'll buy the new komo-tec quiet exhaust so I can do trackdays again, as this Y pipe doesn't fit my old quiet exhaust (nothing's ever easy is it...)

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Gold FFM

I know nothing about these things, so forgive my ingorance please, but, if you need to "dent" the pipes like that (1) does that not defeat the objective around smoothing the airflow and (2) how close is the exhaust to the gearbox and does it therefore transfer a lot of heat to it?

Thanks, hope they are not stoopid noob questions.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I can’t answer that, but here is a photo of the factory Y pipes - the 400 series is noticeably larger and also has the “dent”. Komotec one seems much nicer quality.

98D01BFB-6698-4FBC-9E25-03880FCF9A78.thumb.jpeg.21b52aaada7058a20c6563dd923dd3fc.jpeg

I have Komotec manifolds and they’ve been fine for over 30k miles.

@Seriouslylotushave the KT Y pipe and cat in stock, so I could have the parts the next day instead of having to wait for the parts.

My Y pipe failed because the fit of the link pipe wasn’t very good and had too much pressure on the flexi. I’ve also had 3 back boxes which haven’t lasted too well.  The komotec stuff may not be as pretty welding, but from my experience it seems to fit like OEM parts do and last well.

• Like 1

Yeah I understand your point. I've also been informed that SSC exhaust products are both really reliant and well build but there is the issue of higher transport and taxes to me... Let's see what Jason comes up with as I am busy with a custom build with him and update 4 sure! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PJ said:

Yeah I understand your point. I've also been informed that SSC exhaust products are both really reliant and well build but there is the issue of higher transport and taxes to me... Let's see what Jason comes up with as I am busy with a custom build with him and update 4 sure! 

Hopefully his exhaust is better quality than his carbon :)

• Haha 1

Don't know, we'll see & it better be as it will be an investment 🤣.. I've seen many people having negative experiences on various exhaust systems, including yourself, so I aim for the best outcome and Jason is aware of that so let's see! I have some updates so it will be included in the write up 4 sure. 

I don't have his Carbon so can't judge his quality on that tbh.

In general I feel when people/ companies sell parts for cars like this they should be aware of car loving people and deliver a good reliable product with a reliable service at an acceptable amount. Nowadays, ripping off customers won't last that long.. I have had some great experience with Lotus part sellers and some horrible. The negative I never mention(ed) but the great ones were definitely o.a. GRP, deRoure and Devine being all very responsive and clear in and around expectations. 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

There's a fine line between "ripping off" and making a fair return @PJ. I do believe that most buyers have no real clue about just how much work goes into researching, designing and making solutions and parts for such a niche brand and product.

What might appear to someone to be a rip-off price might still not represent a fair reward for the person who researched it. Designed it. Tooled up for it. Sold it and supported it.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

A fair return is subjective but imho 20% Ebitda should do but set aside from that sales prices are not the only & primary factor in ripping off customers because that is a known factor in advance usually and a free choice... You either buy it or you don't.

Taking your money while items are not in stock for months and companies know about this, sell you a product that can't deliver on the promise, having terms & conditions Taylormade without mentioning this clearly, not assisting you correctly with aftersales/ warranty and things like that.. To me, that is where it can hurt the most... 

• Gold FFM

There is a difference between fair return for effort - and your 20% EBITDA does not really work when you are talking about very smaller outfits - many of our suppliers for niche aftermarket parts are not corporates but do it through a passion and interest and are personally taking the hit and risk on R&D and start-up costs.

I do agree with you that bad practices, as you describe, are abhorrent and poor. But let's not mix a "fair price" with business practices - two different things.

I'm happy to pay a bit more for parts for my Lotus from  small suppliers (for instance, the GRP rear lights I have were not cheap and are about twice the price of OEM Lotus - but GRP is a small, niche innovator who is not building stuff to scale and so material and build costs will be higher and R&D investment risk will be theirs to take as will warranty and return costs - so I would say a 20% Ebitda for that product is too low given the expected volumes to sell).

All very subjective I know.

All subjective indeed.... But let's agree to disagree as I do believe fair price has EVERYTHING to do business practices. This is how business models being made, can't offer high end product and a lot of labor for very cheap & low cost items and one shouldn't do it the other way around.. 

If I go for a MC Donald's I know I pay €10 and you're in you're out, still you would expect decent service and decent food in its sort. Fair price related to business practices..

In conclusion, not clouding the thread, the good thing is that with business initiatives/ handlings with George, Imran, Greg, Dave and many more we as Lotus enthusiasts have solid offers to choose from imho great value for money👍

George,

How did you mount the gas struts to the carbon deck?

I can see the channel running the length of the deck but its pretty thin and with a big wing there is a lot of weigh at the rear. Did you add any strengthening or just plain old rivnuts?

thanks

You should get a set of these: https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product/mwr-lift-point-kit-lotus-eliseexige2-eleven/

It makes it so much easier to put the car in the air with a two post lift. These will work with the S3 chassis because they mounted without any problems to my Cup-R. Lift the car then remove the undertrays.

Later,
Eldon

I decided to make my car a little more road focused as I can't see myself getting on track this year, so bought some softer rear springs from @Seriouslylotus. I knew the old helper springs were rusted and the powder coat had failed, but didn't expect them to snap as I removed them Glad I am doing this now to get that sorted.  Luckily Dave had some helper springs in stock and they're on their way to me arriving today.

IMG_7727.thumb.jpg.0cc4fe029317cb5bbeaf41fe31914334.jpg

While the car was in bits, I thought it'd be good to paint more of the subframe to protect it, plus the upper wishbone as it's steel, and although it wasn't in bad condition, I figure more protection is never a bad thing.  I've ordered some stone chip paint for the inside parts of the arches to give them a bit of refresh, to be honest I've never understood why Lotus leave those areas exposed in body colour. 

IMG_7736.thumb.jpg.049a0bb07c2cfb912bde3f4633925c58.jpg

New softer springs going on...  850lbft instead of 1100, so quite a bit softer. Will be fun trying to dial in the dampers and work out which settings work best for a bumpy British B road. I'll report back once it's all back together!

IMG_7728.thumb.jpg.8f70447ecd32c7773477e110150b611b.jpg

• Like 2