free hit
counters
GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6 - Page 8 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
GFWilliams

GFWilliams Liquid Yellow, Slightly Modified, Exige V6

44 minutes ago, MartynB said:

As an engineer I am very dubious about the crash worthiness of the V-Force bar. I can't see how the design can stay put under a forward loading of 3 or more tonnes. If I decide to go for harnesses in the future, I want something that is bolted to the roll hoop from behind, with no cranking due to offset attachment points. I know you've satisfied yourself, Imran, but I feel you've underestimated the forces involved. My 2p

I can't argue and all information on safety always super valuable ?

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ha ha. Reminds me of plate I put on my first caterham Y005 SLO. 

Was considering putting HE11 FAB on the Exige 

Did chuckle at the reg that was originally on my Atom, which owner kept. PA55 POO

Edited by DJW

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

4 hours ago, Arun_D said:

Welcome to the SLO team

28571901245_cbb56578d3_z.jpg

That's a good enough excuse to get the two cars together for some photos right?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

That's a good enough excuse to get the two cars together for some photos right?

Definitely! I reckon some light painting would yield some interesting results on the Canyon Red, perhaps. Message me on here or IG when you want to sort something out.

Arun

Got the black bit done in paint instead of wrap...

Biggest question now is do I debadge the Exige S bit?

DSC_0193.jpg

DSC_0201.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, I dunno. With the yellow paintwork I can see the appeal of the old school white on black, merging in with he transom. Nice

Missus wernt mad when I was out with dental floss and hairdryer on her 2 day old Merc SLK.  Much better afterwards ;) 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

12 minutes ago, DJW said:

Missus wernt mad when I was out with dental floss and hairdryer on her 2 day old Merc SLK.  Much better afterwards ;) 

B-)

Snapshot of my "slo" when collected by new owner 

IMG_7175.png

• Like 2

Had 2 before Exige V6S and one afterwards. Problem is once you've become used to the Exige, i struggled to fall,for it the same way I had previously.  Unless it was a 620r where perfomance would be on another level, the Exige V6 is my preferred car , even if I had  both in the garage. 

34 minutes ago, DJW said:

Had 2 before Exige V6S and one afterwards. Problem is once you've become used to the Exige, i struggled to fall,for it the same way I had previously.  Unless it was a 620r where perfomance would be on another level, the Exige V6 is my preferred car , even if I had  both in the garage. 

I had a Sigma 150 before and fully agree (hence why I sold it).

Aiming for a 620R to go along side the Exige, if work continues to go well that is!

• Thanks 2

Fitted Nitrons yesterday, not setup yet though, that'll be later today!

Car is waaay too low but first impression is that it rides over the road better on sharp bumps, but as it's so low it gets thrown around on the more undulating bumps.

Will report back later once Back on Track have set it up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

Fitted Nitrons yesterday, not setup yet though, that'll be later today!

Car is waaay too low but first impression is that it rides over the road better on sharp bumps, but as it's so low it gets thrown around on the more undulating bumps.

Will report back later once Back on Track have set it up.

This is one of the reasons we spent many hours and thousands of miles testing and setting up the V6 nitrons.

Ended up with different valving and springs but can supply them preset for ride height 130/136 +/- 1-2mm. They also come preset for damping ( road use) we will be trying a set of our one ways at Croft next week, so hopefully will then be able to offer a track set up

I have just got Nitron 2 ways on mine, massive change, so much better, car is moving way less, easier to focus on the road, rather than the car .. 

2 hours ago, chumaxa said:

I have just got Nitron 2 ways on mine, massive change, so much better, car is moving way less, easier to focus on the road, rather than the car .. 

I had the lotus two ways on mine.

They went back to nitron in very short order!

Lotus restrict the adjustment that's available, so have had mine turned back into three way adjustableSo and full adjustment needle valves fitted......chalk and cheese.

So are the Lotus dampers restricted at the soft end or the hard end, or both? Same question for the standard valving on the Nitron 3 ways?

35 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

I had the lotus two ways on mine.

They went back to nitron in very short order!

Lotus restrict the adjustment that's available, so have had mine turned back into three way adjustableSo and full adjustment needle valves fitted......chalk and cheese.

Yes they are the 3 ways, but only ways adjustable for the moment, would be easy to make them 3 ways, but for an easier geometry they are 2 ways for the moment .... 

On 7/15/2017 at 02:58, MartynB said:

As an engineer I am very dubious about the crash worthiness of the V-Force bar. I can't see how the design can stay put under a forward loading of 3 or more tonnes. If I decide to go for harnesses in the future, I want something that is bolted to the roll hoop from behind, with no cranking due to offset attachment points. I know you've satisfied yourself, Imran, but I feel you've underestimated the forces involved. My 2p

SSC do a harness bar that fixes to the factory harness bar points behind the roll hoop. Cannot rotate.

Enables seat to go all the way back, bar clears the speaker covers and only small openings need to be cut in rear trim. Easy to fit - without removing the rear trim panel.

Fits S2 Elise / Exige and V6 Exige.

http://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/track-and-safety/10439-harness-bar-kit

SSC also has a longer bar for the latest V6 Exige which has a different roll hoop. I think the roll hoop ( frame seatbelt anchorage ) change starts with the Exige 380, but not in the Lotus literature yet - that I have been able to find.

Harness bar needs to be  about 100mm longer. In this case the slot in the trim for the bracket in the pic below becomes a circular cut out the size of the SSC bar clevis.

SSC_Harness_bar_.jpg

Edited by IanA
additional info
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ian, welcome aboard mate. Introduce yourself on the introductions bit.

I had looked at the design of the SSC part, and while the piece seems very easy to fit, I'm bothered by the multi part nature of it. There's the "L" shaped, sheet steel bracket part, then the (I assume) aluminium clevis, then the steel tube. In the event of an impact, the loads are going to deflect the tube in bending, effectively trying to shorten it, which is going to try to pull the clevis out of the end of the tube, while the bracket will take a bit of a bend and also allow some cranking due to the L shape that you can't see in your pic.

Now, that may all be contained in the tolerances of the build. The clevis may go really deep into the tube, so that my concerns are totally immaterial. In which case great. I just can't bring myself to go for that solution when we're looking at instantaneous loads around 3 tonnes.

I instead sourced a Lotus OEM straight bar, which I'll probably fit next year, cutting the trim to suit. After all I don't have any rear speakers to get in the way, so I have a fairly free reign to remove trim as required.

Hopefully I won't find that the new dimension roll hoop actually started before mine was built.