free hit
counters
Insurance Anyone Heard of this? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Insurance Anyone Heard of this?

Dan E

• Gold FFM

I picked up a new car (2nd hand) from BMW this week during the test drive I was having a conversation about 7 day drive away insurance with the sales lady. Well apparently BMW don't do this anymore, but what did come up, she said that their insurance would not have covered you if you was driving in the Sport Plus setting!!

Now i have never heard of this and was pretty surprised to say the least, does anyone know if this is fact? I cant believe that can be true to be honest but would be interested to have your thoughts.

Dan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Brooke,

I went for a 330d X drive, I didn't really want a X drive but was getting desperate and I didn't want another grey with black leather car after the last 10 being that colour. Its going in next week for the AC Schintzer springs which are meant to make it look less 4x4 and handle better, then i just got to deal with the hideous blue stripe on the dash then it will be a nice car. 

I am missing the V8 but in the real world its probably as quick and it just doesn't seem to use any diesel. First time without a Mercedes in the house hold for 25 years!!

4 hours ago, Dan E said:

I picked up a new car (2nd hand) from BMW this week during the test drive I was having a conversation about 7 day drive away insurance with the sales lady. Well apparently BMW don't do this anymore, but what did come up, she said that their insurance would not have covered you if you was driving in the Sport Plus setting!!

Now i have never heard of this and was pretty surprised to say the least, does anyone know if this is fact? I cant believe that can be true to be honest but would be interested to have your thoughts.

Dan

I smell BS!  How could any insurer refuse cover for using a feature fitted to the car as standard equipment?  The only way you'll find out for sure is to call the insurer.

• Gold FFM

Brooke sold it. Needed something sensible mate

Steve I didn't take the insurance as they don't do it anymore. I thought it was BS but thought I would ask the question never heard of it before 

• Like 1

As some on here know I'm connected to the insurance industry and I very strongly suspect that the sales lady was mistaken. Saying what she did would restrict over zealous use of the sport button. Very often the insurance industry is used as the excuse as to why you should or shouldn't do something which would be a shock to the insurer involved.

• Like 2

:lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I was told the same when I was given one for a weekend test drive. So first thing I did...

I have heard that if you disable the traction systems in your car then it can invalidate you insurance (mentioned on a Porsche driving experience thing). However when in France once in the boxster some sensor failed and it disabled everything but was still drivable according to Porsche (orange rather than red warnings). Spoke to them about it and they said it would be fine. 

I do believe insurance companies take driver aids into consideration, for example the current golf has a radar thing as standard to stop you crashing into the back of something and it drops the insurance on them to peanuts. The audi has it optional but because it is not standard there's no impact on insurance if you have it. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

• Gold FFM

Ian dont start (although you are right) I really don't know if I am cut out for BMW ownership but I have promised I will keep it for at least 3 years. 

Funnily enough I was reversing out of a space in the TE at Tesco the other day and a "Geezer" in a 330d sped up and blocked me in for no apparent reason.