Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
ECU HELP!!!! - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

ECU HELP!!!!

purso

Hi gents,

I have an issue with my v8 it is throwing up an error code p0444 which relates to the purge valve, the purge valve has been tested and appears in fine health, the solenoid has been bench tested and again seems fine all the pipes on the evap system have been checked and again all seem fine.  I have sent my ecu to south west lotus who said they couldn't help because as my car is one of the last it has a us ecu so they cant test it or fix it so sent me my ecu back.  The car has been to bell and colvill who couldn't fix it and now I am being told I needed another late car with a us spec ecu to swap to see if it is 100% the ecu.  

As any of you who may have spoken to me will know I have zero mechanical understanding and need some very basic instructions to help get rid of this damn warning light which appears to be the only issue as all else does seem to be fine with the car.  

For reference this does seem to have happened fairly soon after a battery change and I don't know if that was the catalyst?

Any pointers very gratefully received.

Cheers

Brooke

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Brooke,

What is stopping you running a non-Fed ECU on your car?  The purge function is no different.....

Cheers, 

Mike S

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

@mike_sekinger am I reading the diagrams correctly that the ecu connects directly to the purge solenoid ??

if so - you just need to check for continuity from the ecu harness to the solenoid.

Only here once

Yes, you should be checking the harness to the solenoid-  pin 85

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

• Gold FFM

This is probably a daft question, but I take someone has cleared the fault code from the ECU And it has reoccured  ?

The reason I ask is, I recently had a broken battery earth clamp, which turned on the engine light, and you have mentioned you have recently changed the battery.

• Like 1

P0444 error is one of many "sanity Checks" to confirm continuity of the wiring. In this case the ECU is looking for +12 to appear on pin 84 when the ECU is NOT commanding the purge valve to actuate. Fuse B7 provides +12 to several places including the O2 heater relay, since you have no o2 heater error fuse B7 is probably Ok. You can check each side of the purge control valve with a meter (with key on not started) and +12 should be there on both sides. If not the + 12 is not being supplied by fuse B7 or the purge control valve is open or the wire to B7 is.  If +12 is there on both sides then there is an open wire to pin 84 (not 85) of the ECU or the ECU has a problem. There are two solenoids for the evap. system. One is a atmosphere close valve (pin 85) and the other is a purge valve (pin 84) which opens to connect the canister to the engine vacuum. P0444 is all about the purge valve pin 84. The purge valve is NOT documented in the Lotus service manual but it is in the parts diagram page 44.05a as item 10 and the close valve is item 7.  You don't want to know why I know all this stuff!

Edited by WEllison
  • Like 1

The Older I get the Faster I was

When I have sense checked these instructions with my guy who has the car he has says that he has checked the relays, checked the purge valve (this has done by him and bell&collvile),  the pipes on the evap system have been checked and the error has been cleared. When this happened initially it would stay off for a while but now it comes on immediately after its cleared.  

Apologies if some of this doesn't follow exact logic as a lot of this doesn't make sense to me and I am relaying messages at present.  My guy said he has followed the recommendations of what has been suggested here as a lot of this is in the cars maintenance notes.  He has said we need to swap my ecu into another car or vice versa to cement that it is this 100%.

I don't suppose anyone has any other suggestions or even more unlikely has a late v8 esprit within some sort of sensible proximity to pinner high street middlesex ha5.

Thanks for all the help so far!

Capture.JPG

Hi Mike,  Ah the British and their English. Sheet 5C of section ML of the service notes dated 15-09-97 calls out pin 84 to the purge solenoid and pin 85 to the can purge solenoid and the pin out list (per your posting calls pin 84 the vent solenoid and pin 85 the purge valve. I believe the pin out list is correct that pin 85 controls the purge valve. On this side of the pond the vent solenoid is called the close valve as it normally closes the canister to the atmosphere and only opens during the purge cycle.  We Californians need to know this stuff!

The Older I get the Faster I was

• Gold FFM

These pins might be outputs - but my thinking is they are also monitored for impedance as well.

mine had an error - which was solved by the addition of a resistor - I'm sure that was an output pin - can't remembers what exactly but it's in my thread somewhere.

none the less, you need to buzz out either pin 84 or 85 to that solenoid - by looking the cable colours will give the answer to which is indeed which

Only here once

• Gold FFM

I'm guessing the purge pump valve and evap solonoids are operated by relays, have these been checked or replaced, for a few quid just may be worth popping new ones in. They may be operating but timing out and bringing up a fault code.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Alan,

I have only just discovered your work to source alternative components and remanufacture certain items. That is quite an undertaking and to be loudly applauded. How are you getting on ?

cheers

-Chris