free hit
counters
ECU HELP!!!! - Page 2 - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

ECU HELP!!!!

purso

Hello Chris @cweeden, apologies for the delay in replying. I have a new job with a lot of commuting and it takes me a while to catch up!

The parts bloodhound thing is as and when required, I really enjoy it. There are a few outstanding items that have bugged me for ages and I butterfly back to every now and again:

- TRW/Torrix dash switches on the S4 on/early V8 large dash
- V8 oil pressure switch alternative
- V8 early/late brake servos
- S4 on battery covers (I am resigned to them being a Lotus special I think)
- V8 clutch release bearing alternative
- S4 on Delco/V8 Kelsey-Hayes ABS sensors (obsolete but SJ have an alternative)

The projects on the go are:

- "BMI Baby", a low cost processor based plug in replacement for all of the BMI custom relays/modules which were specials and NLA
- V8 ECM replacement, again low cost. These are just about impossible to obtain now and I'm conscious that mine might go bang at some point, let alone other owners (or yours!) It is quite a task, I spend time on it now and again. The next step will be to OBD-II log mine for the two week holiday in France in the summer to get lots of real data under a lot of different conditions that I can stuff into a database and start doing some analysis on. That's because Lotus would never release the ignition or fuel maps for the EFI ECM.
- Delco ECM replacement, this is not really essential as there's a pretty good spares supply but the V8 one above could be adapted for the 912 engine, enabling customisation of the maps, outputs for water injection, increased boost, nitrous injection and all that good stuff. The connectors are a bit of a bugbear, they need more investigation.

So lots to do! All good fun.

Cheers

Alan

• Thanks 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

No worries for the delay, I often dip in and dip out of the forums. Keep up the good work I am sure there are a good number of us watching with interest and crossed fingers. :-)

cheers

-Chris

On 22/04/2018 at 12:25, swindon_alan said:

Hello Chris @cweeden, apologies for the delay in replying. I have a new job with a lot of commuting and it takes me a while to catch up!

The parts bloodhound thing is as and when required, I really enjoy it. There are a few outstanding items that have bugged me for ages and I butterfly back to every now and again:

- TRW/Torrix dash switches on the S4 on/early V8 large dash
- V8 oil pressure switch alternative
- V8 early/late brake servos
- S4 on battery covers (I am resigned to them being a Lotus special I think)
- V8 clutch release bearing alternative
- S4 on Delco/V8 Kelsey-Hayes ABS sensors (obsolete but SJ have an alternative)

The projects on the go are:

- "BMI Baby", a low cost processor based plug in replacement for all of the BMI custom relays/modules which were specials and NLA
- V8 ECM replacement, again low cost. These are just about impossible to obtain now and I'm conscious that mine might go bang at some point, let alone other owners (or yours!) It is quite a task, I spend time on it now and again. The next step will be to OBD-II log mine for the two week holiday in France in the summer to get lots of real data under a lot of different conditions that I can stuff into a database and start doing some analysis on. That's because Lotus would never release the ignition or fuel maps for the EFI ECM.
- Delco ECM replacement, this is not really essential as there's a pretty good spares supply but the V8 one above could be adapted for the 912 engine, enabling customisation of the maps, outputs for water injection, increased boost, nitrous injection and all that good stuff. The connectors are a bit of a bugbear, they need more investigation.

So lots to do! All good fun.

Cheers

Alan

Didnt you already do top work for an ECU? I thought you'd found a replacement of sorts?

Hello Stuart

Well that was more that you can mangle an early (Rover) Elise or Exige 340R ECM by replacing some of the chips, which is what Barry did on his knackered V8. However, they are also pretty damned hard to find now. We're running out of options on keeping blown up ECM V8s on the road, hence my push to design and make a replacement. The challenge is universality, you could buy a programmable ECU and get it set up on a rolling road but that's pretty expensive and car specific. I will get there... It might not be this year or next but it will come I hope.

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)