free hit
counters
S3 turbo Duratec conversion - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

S3 turbo Duratec conversion

Hi All

By now I should have been posting pictures of the new flywheel and adaptor plate, however due to a design cock up I now have a very pretty by totally useless flywheel. The Lotus clutch mounts with 6 bolts and my new flywheel has 8 bolt holes, the design is such that it can`t be modified, hey ho, all part of the joys of engine conversions its just put me back a couple of weeks while I get more material and start again.

In the meantime I have been rebuilding the rear suspension so rather than the engine parts here are a few pics of before during and after the suspension work, hope to be back in a couple of weeks with the flywheel and adaptor photos.

20170218_110438_resized.jpg

20170209_195437_resized_1.jpg

20170218_075435_resized.jpg

20170218_105117_resized.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Gutted for you Steve,  and sorry to hear the flywheel cant be saved,  but you sound like your taking it on the chin fair play to you,  and looks like your keeping yourself busy though, top job on the rear suspension, Started doing mine a while ago but that bottom stud is wanting to stay where it is on mine, is rusted to hell !    

Look forward to seeing this conversion progress :)

A

• Gold FFM

If the engine conversion turns out as good as the rear axle rebuild, it will be well worth the wait! :animier:

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

New shocks, existing spring checked, shotblasted and powder coated, all other parts shotblasted primed and painted, all new bushes and bearings.

Working my way from back to front, will do the same at the front when I get there  ! its the engine and transmission conversion which is taking the time.

Oooooooh cool, another engine conversion ☺

Looking good so far. 

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out given it is 10 years since Punky did his.

30 minutes ago, stevetsl said:

its the engine and transmission conversion which is taking the time.

You are not wrong with that statement.........

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

Not what you really want to find when restoring the suspension, luckily I have found and have a used replacement on its way. Interesting that the crack is exactly in line with the gap in the split bush. Don`t know if it was like this when I bought the car or whether I caused it when taking the suspension apart but it came off ok without any force required,

20170227_175016_resized.jpg

That is sxxte news Steve,  Gutted for you, but on a bonus note if it was done before at least you have spotted it, could of been far worse while doing some spirited driving with the new engine !    This is also why some people x ray them as hairline cracks can form and will only get worse given time and just fail all a sudden.  

They are not that hard to get hold of and can still be purchased new from sj or secondhand but sadly not the cheapest bit on the car.  

Was your car the barn find restoration project from wales that was for up for sale last year ?

A

Yes it is the Welsh car, I have heard there is some history attached to it but have not yet found out what it is, the car has had a stack of previous owners and it seems to have changed hands on a regular basis. I am not over bothered about its history as when I have finished the restoration and modifications it will be a different car. I spoke to SJ about a new bearing carrier to be told they are now obsolete but have picked up a secondhand part from LotusBits. I think I am keeping the various suppliers in business at the moment !

• Like 1

Steve,  Yes nothing wrong with plenty of past owners, or history,  All our cars are old and have various pasts some good some bad ,:)

I thought it was the welsh car as i could see plenty red over spray on the rear radius arms  :P  Glad this car found a good home, a few of us on here had concerns it would be purchased by someone and sold as bits, but its safe now.  :thumbup:

SJ still lists them on his site,  so not sure why he has not taken them off he cant get hold of them,  Also very worrying as Lotusbits supply is also running down as Mike is not buying up many esprits to part out as they are getting thinner on the ground.  

I am after both rear ones but for a stevens car, not sure how low on the ground these are used but will keep my fingers crossed. !  

I just hope Steve or Mike looks into getting new ones cast at some point  :thumbup:

A

Sounds like a good theory,   Thankfully i am in no desperate rush for the hubs as i have a decent set for the project, well hopefully still need to get the bottom bolt out of of each of them, so will not count my chickens yet !  The stevens hubs are for another project as those hubs make the wheel offset a hell of a lot more pos, other wise i would end up with deep dish wheels like a barrel. :)

I had thought about the casting myself, and know a few folks who work at a decent foundry, they have a machine that you just chuck the part in and it uses dust and glue to make a master mould and them it just replicates it, You would obviously have to add mass to the machined areas though and then die grind off afterwards before the precision machining.  Downside is that place is so high tech now and run so well, chances of the lads slipping stuff in these days is a no go, its like camera city.  :(  

Would be worth you looking into though Steve as at some point none will be left, and i would hate to see the bill for getting one of these cnc machined from a block of raw alloy !

A

Not a typical fallure, although there are many seized studs in those lower links.   Was it the nearside rear?   I recall that car appeared to have had a repair to that rear quarter.  Maybe taken a knock?   

I think some of that red overspray made it as far as shropshire!

• Like 1

Nearside seems ok, failed part is the offside, not seen any evidence of past damage at the rear, has been a small repair to front near side. Whoever painted is was quite generous with the paint, it is everywhere !

I think Steve if you look on the nearside rear inside the engine bay area on yours it has had some glass fibre repair work done around the area of the rear of the wheel well hump., I think that is why 910esprit asked about the nearside as when your car was up for sale on ebay and other sites a photo showed up showing a repair.

A

• 4 weeks later...

At last here is the engine / gearbox adaptor plate and flywheel ( made correctly this time ) The clutch assembly is all turbo esprit. Should have the engine and box mated together this weekend and can then start to make some proper progress.

Next up will be the engine mountings, alternator mounting and exhaust system, in and among I am now rebuilding the front suspension and brakes, should have some pretty pics of that soon.

20170328_192710_resized.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, 

well done, love the half chassis you have as a mock up!

this way you have all the room to figure out what to do with the components.

myself i am using a chassis i lent from escape to do these jobs.

can you use the headers and inlet manifold of the duratec or do

you have to make your own?