free hit
counters
Exige Sport 350 Gearbox Issues - help! - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exige Sport 350 Gearbox Issues - help!

Hi guys have any of you had the gear box go very notichy and stiff when pushing hard making it almost impossible to change gear when the gear box heats up?

Ive been told it's the motorsport cables on the new gearboxes can get overheated and go very stiff which they of course shouldn't do.

It was all plain sailing until today when I wanted to do my 3rd track day and enjoy Silverstone which has been a hard morning to stomach this disappointment but hey that's life and these things happen.

Any advice please welcome as my car is only 2500 mile old!!!! ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok so good news! Just thought I would update the post. Lotus have been great in dealing with the issue. The car went in a few weeks ago at SS Lotus. Driving it back and a outing on

Pop and see Matt at lotus Silverstone I can ring and tell him your are going if you like

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you were (or weren't) doing on the track but it definitely sounds like something that shouldn't be happening. I got the impression you were pushing very h

44 minutes ago, S1ARM said:

Hi guys have any of you had the gear box go very notichy and stiff when pushing hard making it almost impossible to change gear when the gear box heats up?

Ive been told it's the motorsport cables on the new gearboxes can get overheated and go very stiff which they of course shouldn't do.

It was all plain sailing until today when I wanted to do my 3rd track day and enjoy Silverstone which has been a hard morning to stomach this disappointment but hey that's life and these things happen.

Any advice please welcome as my car is only 2500 mile old!!!! ?

Pop and see Matt at lotus Silverstone

I can ring and tell him your are going if you like

• Like 1

This happened to me one night, the first time I was really pushing it hard. The gearbox wasn't heated up though, as I was just starting to drive hard on the freeway. I did notice that it was a bit difficult to shift gears when I was shifting at redline but I attributed it to the tranny components being new at the time. I've driven it a couple of times after that and it hasn't happened since and the tightness at redline seems to be going away quickly. Please keep us posted on what they do to it as I'm due for my first track day quite soon. Good luck!

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you were (or weren't) doing on the track but it definitely sounds like something that shouldn't be happening.

I got the impression you were pushing very hard from your comments about Spa, do you heel and toe out of interest? It's easy to get carried away when chasing Speciales and the like!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Pop and see Matt at lotus Silverstone

I can ring and tell him your are going if you like

I popped in a saw the girls there and had the mechanic come out with me.

im trying to delve deeper to see if there are knows issues so I can get it resolved and avoid an future issues.

I went back out on track to make the most of my day taking it easy and slow shifting as that's all I could do but I did meet 4 other fellow Exige V6 owners of which one said his clutch had gone funny after 3k miles and the other had had a similar issue of tight gears and a rattle from underneath which I have.

SS seem to be on it and I only want it quickly sorted but it doesn't help that it's a know fact lotus have such poor stock or parts at the moment, in the grand scheme of it these are small issues which seem to be in need of ironing out.

I still love my car no matter what I just want it to be 100% fit!

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

Hard to say without knowing exactly what you were (or weren't) doing on the track but it definitely sounds like something that shouldn't be happening.

I got the impression you were pushing very hard from your comments about Spa, do you heel and toe out of interest? It's easy to get carried away when chasing Speciales and the like!

Yeah I wasn't pushing hard at Spa but no harder than I do normally on track days and always give the car plenty of rest in between stints (half an hour to hour each time) with a good warm up and cool down lap before even starting each run.

I was at Donnington last Monday and the car was shifting fine all day.

It's weird but as the day went on it actually eased itself a little come 3pm! But it still notchy

2 hours ago, Xisthos said:

This happened to me one night, the first time I was really pushing it hard. The gearbox wasn't heated up though, as I was just starting to drive hard on the freeway. I did notice that it was a bit difficult to shift gears when I was shifting at redline but I attributed it to the tranny components being new at the time. I've driven it a couple of times after that and it hasn't happened since and the tightness at redline seems to be going away quickly. Please keep us posted on what they do to it as I'm due for my first track day quite soon. Good luck!

Sure will do!

Sorry you've run into an issue so soon after delivery. I've never experienced any issues with my gearbox after 13,000 miles and the motorsport cables are, in my experience, without any downsides. In fact the new gear linkage is less slick than the old one as I mentioned in my review. It requires a firmer action but it is more precise across the gate overall. I wonder if any of the issues you've experienced are to do with the new linkage? It's stuff like this which made the Lotus Driving Academy so valuable - it was the ultimate torture test for the range. 

It does sound like your gearbox has overheated but again I've driven a very tired Exige at the Academy (with the old linkage) and while the shift action was sloppy and imprecise compared to my car it would still take gears even if it protested with a graunch on more than one occasion. Just a total shot in the dark but have you checked underneath the car? At least one of the scoops and vents in the undertray are there to help cool the gearbox. Is there any chance you've blocked one up with grass or mud perhaps?

• Like 1

We had an issue with our first Elise at spa - was about 1400 miles old at the time. The car would jump out of 4th. Now I was not that experienced at the time so was not on it (although probably felt like it at the time). We changed the oil in the box (Matt @ Silverstone's advice) which seemed to solve it. However it transpired that there were other cars with the same issue built around the same time and it turned out to be a dodgy batch and Lotus replaced them under warranty.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

2 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Sorry you've run into an issue so soon after delivery. I've never experienced any issues with my gearbox after 13,000 miles and the motorsport cables are, in my experience, without any downsides. In fact the new gear linkage is less slick than the old one as I mentioned in my review. It requires a firmer action but it is more precise across the gate overall. I wonder if any of the issues you've experienced are to do with the new linkage? It's stuff like this which made the Lotus Driving Academy so valuable - it was the ultimate torture test for the range. 

It does sound like your gearbox has overheated but again I've driven a very tired Exige at the Academy (with the old linkage) and while the shift action was sloppy and imprecise compared to my car it would still take gears even if it protested with a graunch on more than one occasion. Just a total shot in the dark but have you checked underneath the car? At least one of the scoops and vents in the undertray are there to help cool the gearbox. Is there any chance you've blocked one up with grass or mud perhaps?

Good point I will get it on a ramp over the next few days and have a look.......but I felt the stiffness and I mean 'stiff' I felt I had to be Hercules to change gear......the rifle bolt clinking I love and know it's direct and industrial but this was just like the gear box saying 'nope sorry try another gear mate!' ....so after only 2 warm up laps in the first session after a 40 mins drive up in traffic from home warning the car up suitably........hence why I was a little bemused!

As mentioned above It did ease as the day went on but still took effort to shift which from my previous track days and drives didn't.

Notwithstanding it takes nothing away from what a wonderful machine it is and as they are so basic I'm sure it's an easy enough fix. 

• Like 1

Sure will do!

I would love it ready for my last track day at SS on the 3rd Dec for one final spin before I put it away until the spring!

Otherwise it will be my JCW challenges first track outing!

1 hour ago, LF1 said:

We had an issue with our first Elise at spa - was about 1400 miles old at the time. The car would jump out of 4th. Now I was not that experienced at the time so was not on it (although probably felt like it at the time). We changed the oil in the box (Matt @ Silverstone's advice) which seemed to solve it. However it transpired that there were other cars with the same issue built around the same time and it turned out to be a dodgy batch and Lotus replaced them under warranty.

They are good guys at SS but like all franchises there hands are tied by Louis HQ so they need them to authorise the repair and may carry out a thorough inspection as well.

I may turn out to be linkage and cables is the issue as i know they have another car they are wanting to sort with the same problem but it's wait for the cables which are on back order which in today's morning world is so common no matter who you buy from they never have the parts on the shelf unlike the good old days!

Well I have an update and Lotus are going to replace the motorsport cables for new ones as they think this is the issue as it's the same as the other at they have in.

As mentioned they are on back order so as and when they come in i guess.

Taking it in Friday to go on a ramp and check the underside at one of my friends mechanic places to do a check over just to tick that box off as well....as recommended by 'The Pits'

Good news is my new Avons turned up at the weekend and my new gloss black team dynamic rims arrive tomorrow (thanks to TotallyLotus.com) so I will be putting these on the car end of the week along with some Pagid RS14 pads hoping that the last two days at SS on the 3rd and 17th are dry days assuming the car is 100%!

I hope you get the problem sorted Drew.

I have not had any problem with mine and have put 3.5k miles on it now. I have noticed that Lotus put plenty of heat shielding around the cables. I can't remember if my old S2 Exiges had that fitted.  

7 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Is yours an Exige S or 350 Sport?

What are these Motorsport cables you refer too???

350 Sport which have the new gear box and had the upgraded motorsport cables......so I was told and read about.....but I'm only going on what I've read or been told!

1 hour ago, Fortis said:

I have not had any problem with mine and have put 3.5k miles on it now. I have noticed that Lotus put plenty of heat shielding around the cables. I can't remember if my old S2 Exiges had that fitted.  

Thank you!

Ive actually just had the car on a ramp in the last hour at my friends and it's all clear!

Altgough I did notice all the stone chips down the side sils and a few ubdeneath from my track days so the sideswill need clear wrapping soon to keep them pristine!

The car is still very much drivable but I just cant push it so it's long and slow gear shifts for the mean time.

TBH I'm yet to buy a new car that doesn't have an issue I'm just jinxed weather I be BMW, VW, TOYOTA, HONDA, MINI or LANDROVER....thank god for warranties!

On warranty does anyone know if you can pay for a extended lotus warranty?

2 hours ago, Fortis said:

The 350 platform cars don't have heat shields on the cables, well mine didn't have. It does now though

11 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

The 350 platform cars don't have heat shields on the cables, well mine didn't have. It does now though

Weight saving?!?!? They are important for track use arent they?!? Did they really skip them?

Mine are certainly wrapped in tin foil. If it's cost saving it's certainly short sighted as it will cost Lotus far more in warranty claims!

1 minute ago, NW76 said:

Mine are too ... they will decline any warranty as soon as they see you used the car on track anyway, wont they?

No they are really good as the cars are built to be driven hard on road and track which they know is what many people buy them for!

Hence all the upgrades on the cars.

2 hours ago, NW76 said:

Mine are too ... they will decline any warranty as soon as they see you used the car on track anyway, wont they?

Nope. 

Only if they find out that timing has been involved. And I'm not kidding. 

• Like 1