free hit
counters
Loose trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Anyone know if the screws in this trim (8 and 10) are supposed to tighten up?

This trim is creaking like a bugger on my car, but all the screws whilst not loose, don't tighten up - they just keep going round and round.

Thanks

IMG_0842.PNG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

They are more of a push fit fixing than a screw fixing, as they are both plastic if that makes sense.

I took one of the screws out - metal, but with a flat end (as opposed to a pointy self tapper style).

I guess it just screws into the bulk head - when you push it, the trims in the engine bay move!

Don't quite know how to stop the creaking.

They are trim panel fixings which don't actually screw into the bulkhead itself. The outer sleeve of the fixing pushes through the trim panel and into a hole behind, then pushing in the inner 'screw' expands the outer sleeve to retain the panel in place, if you see what I mean. 

If you unscrew and remove the screw, you should be able to lever out the the outer fixing. Easier to do than explain.

i had a really bad creaking on my car from behind the seats which turned out to be the roll bar rubbing on the underside of the clam at the top. I removed the roll bar car (item 9 on the drawing) and simply stuffed a few pieces of felt between the roll bar and clam, before replacing the cover. This sorted it out completely.

Yours may not be from the same place of course but you can test easily enough whilst driving along. When it creaks, tightly grasp the top of the clam and underside cover in your hand in the area where you think the creak is and if it stops, hey presto, you've found the cause. Then doing similar to me should cure it once and for all.

• Like 1

I think it could well be the rollbar cap as you say.

Central are going to have it for a day to sort bits out, so I'll make them aware of it.

Thanks

Did you get the creaking in you car sorted, Andy?

I ask because mine has developed a really annoying creak which emanates from behind the seats. It's not the roof, as it still creaks with the roof off. It's booked in for a service soon, but "creaks" are not covered by warranty, so paying a dealer to remove seats and bulkhead trim is not an option.................

Thanks.

I sorted it by using the furry side of some sticky backed Velcro I had lying around - stuffed it into the gap between the plastic trim above the seatbelt mounts.

Worked fine.

Had same creaks on my old V6S. Dealer removed panel and placed some foam strips behind panel, refitted and noise was gone :)