free hit
counters
The Lost Lotus - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The Lost Lotus

philcool

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

phil - do you have more details?

Whats the show? and is it "our" type of lotus or the more expensive original Lotus Elite?

Edit: a bit of googling shows its not "our" type of Elite, but it should still be worth watching all the same.

Elite racer.JPG

Philip Glenister and Ant Anstead restore a 1950s Lotus Elite that was designed and built by Formula 1 engineer Colin Chapman as a prototype for the production models that followed. They plan to take it on to the track at Silverstone for the biggest classic car event of the year - even though this risks the vehicle being damaged before it can be sold at auction

Looking forward to this. Ant Anstead is a proper car guy.

There will probably be the usual TV fakery as before, when they did the whole series, the "will they or wont they" last minute rush to get it finished the day before the auction, although in fact all the cars were sold at the SAME auction and were likely done months before.

At least it hasnt got Tim Shaw in it. The way he lies to get parts out of suppliers in car SOS is downright embarrassing. That might be fakery as well but its still a crap part of the show. 

Andy - agreed. Tim Shaw is a complete Donald. The AC Acera that was on last night's show made it worth the watch (what a gorgeous car!) but to get some panels lazer cut FOC twat features claimed to be making parts for Winston Churchill's Spitfire - why the fk was that even necessary? Like Ant though, I think Fuzz Townsend knows his onions (even if he's not so hot on his music lol)

Maybe Fuzz and Ant should get together on a show and religate Glenister and Shaw to third rate comedy

• Like 2

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

On the same subject did anyone see the bronco restoration on wheeler dealers. It set a new level of tv crap restorations ! They Bought a really shit bronco.

Then screw around a lot,  get into trouble, then buy a restored bronco and pass it off as their restored car ! Suddenly all the crap they did to the first car is totaly  gone and a "super dressed engine turned up ."

Why do all tv car restoration shows turn to wank  ?  'give me ur and'  Mike and China time to join the flop gear shelf....

1 hour ago, mikeeech said:

So putting a new body on causes the price to plummet... I'm not loving that!

I am not sure how you would re-body an Elite T14. The entire car is the body so it would be a re-car. 

But all of that sudden doubt about which which car it was, was probably largely made up for dramatic TV effect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeeech said:

So putting a new body on causes the price to plummet... I'm not loving that!

Might become an issue when T75 Elites are worth £100k +, but then again, who's to know if you transfer all the ID plates?

We won't tell ;)

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Thanks for posting & welcome to TLF!

I clicked the link and had a look through the pictures. Given the show registration number on the car "ELITE" , it is to be exhibited somewhere, so could well be a prototype, and at the very least a motorshow car.

Thanks for providing us with a window back in time to the early days of Lotus.

Hello Durrell

I've linked to your mother's excellent collection of photographs before. There was also a thread on the Autosport forum a year or two back where ex-Lotus employees were trying to identify their colleagues from the Hornsey days and they were checking them out too. Definitely another time and place.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

13 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Given the show registration number on the car "ELITE" , it is to be exhibited somewhere, so could well be a prototype, and at the very least a motorshow car.

Left hooker, it could be that one for the USA with the naked dollybird draped all over it!

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

4 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

Left hooker, it could be that one for the USA with the naked dollybird draped all over it!

couldn't see a naked dolly bird in the photo's! I looked hard... 

the difference between these old photo's and the McClaren factory photo's is very striking. 

18 hours ago, Andyww said:

I am not sure how you would re-body an Elite T14. The entire car is the body so it would be a re-car. 

But all of that sudden doubt about which which car it was, was probably largely made up for dramatic TV effect.

you can buy new bodyshells

http://www.mk14components.com/

Presumably for those that race theirs!

• Gold FFM

Enjoyable program, there isn't a single one of these shows that doesn't involve at least a tiny bit of tiresome fakery. Why they think average joe falls for it, I do not know.

As for rebodies, yes it does seem quite difficult to rebody a car like that. Not unknown in the rest of the classic world, in fact some TVRs replacing the whole chassis is not unheard of and can even be desirable.

In classic 911 circles it is not unusual for a car to be separated from its original engine, with two of the "same" car eventually appearing. Not a problem when they're only worth a few grand - when they're worth £100k its an issue

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

3 hours ago, JayEmm said:

with two of the "same" car eventually appearing

How does that work when they have different chassis numbers? I can't imagine anyone would authentic a car based just on the engine number, you'd have to be pretty dumb.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.