free hit
counters
Scratched number on piston - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Scratched number on piston

davetoff

Hi

i've been delving into the depths of my engine to change the main bearings and thrust washers, there was excessive endfloat in the crankshaft. Trying to determine the bearing sizes but found this number scratched on the underside of piston 4. Does anyone know what it means? Is it the coordinates to where the holy grail is buried?

IMG_1970.JPG

Edited by davetoff

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

I am going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess it's something to do with what type of engine it's in, more specifically the cam/valve setup?

This is where my mechanical knowledge runs out but 273 seems like it might be duration?

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

No idea unless its weight or serial number related.  However, as you have probably deduced these are non-original nice looking forged (as opposed to cast) items, which have only done a very few miles.   Strange that the engine needs attention already, as it must have been rebuilt at the same time  

Edited by 910Esprit

Yep it was rebuilt recently by PO but unfortunately the circlip in the gearbox decided to burrow its way into the crank, which obliterated the thrust washers ? So wanted to check it all out, including what the PO did to the engine, he was a little vague on details. But otherwise seems to have done a decent job.

Nice writing considering it is scratched on.

Oh, by the way, haven't got a clue what they mean.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Looks like the number are engraved, rather than scratched...and I agree with the suggestion that they are probably to do with balance.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein