Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
502M - Page 8 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

502M

Trunnion 74

11 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

@Trunnion 74 I reckon the sellers of that Carb book (which I have) will be after you for loss in sales - no copyright issues as you did it all yourself - but IMO better and easier to understand!

You are a legend!

Thanks.  @oilmagnet477 I've been called many things in my time, but never a legend! 

The book is very good and does go into a lot more detail than I have done here.  Ultimatley though all we really want to know is what all those brass bit are and do.  ;)

The carb whisperer.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Congratulations to @Neil D. who correctly identified that there was no jet on the end of emulsion tube when I took it out.  If you would like to PM me your details Neil I'll get your prize in the post to you.

I had thought that I had been careless when cleaning the parts and had lost the jet, but on checking the photos I noticed that when i took it out there wasn't one there!  Only two posibilities 1 it was never there in the first palce or 2 it was still stuck in the hole. On checking with my trusty mini camera there it was, stuck at the bottom.

Snapshot000000.jpg.f23bb0f79a6b2a3cb7d027ea2d22a5ee.jpg

Tried everything I could think of to get it out. Flooding with carb cleaner, terminal tweezers, sharp taps to dislodge, nothing worked.  It sometimes takes a womans touch, SWMBO suggested I use a BBQ skewer.  After several attempts I was able to secure it to the end.

Moral:  Take pictures and don't be afraid to accept advice.

Now back to the cleaning

631280145__DSC1018copy.thumb.jpg.22788d53fbbce10a4c96da6864891388.jpg

• Like 1

If you would like to PM me your details Neil I'll get your prize in the post to you.

You must be joking, I just enjoy reading stories, about people who are doing similar things to me. Keeping our  Lotus running. Looking forward to seing it running 😉

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to taking apart the passenger door.  Was greeted with this..

_DSC0938.thumb.jpg.93c9bca60649f1fe049a3f835ea9f8b8.jpg

And this!  Tin worm has had a great time!.  I have managed to source a replacement.

_DSC0939.thumb.jpg.3d805c1cbb679fa58c65ba71d03dd1f6.jpg

I also came across this, an original (?) corner cap.  Should come in hand as a template for some fresh ones.

_DSC0949.thumb.jpg.f41ad85ec07cca49f14dae1584e7b8bd.jpg

And this, some original "Solbit" sealer in the frames.  I have so far resisted the temptation to wire it up and see if it will melt again. 

_DSC0950.thumb.jpg.acdad31f3037f69d7f749a306c8244ca.jpg

This is the door that has the number 26A scribed on it which matches the vin plate number.  The condition of the door beam and the precence of "solbit" sealer would indicate that the door has not been touched for a very long time.

I had a similar pile of rust from both my doors.

That finishing piece is very rare (unless I'm much mistaken) treat it with tender loving care. :)

It's getting there......

Rare as hens teeth I believe.

Going back to the carbs for a moment.  I have a copy of an original 1974 preliminary workshop manual.  It lists all the original spec jet/tube numbers for the carbs, they all match, which is good news as it means they haven't been changed/fiddled with.

Have been working on refurbishment of the distributor.  Did some numbers checking on the Lucas 25D database and found this.

235011400_Screenshot_2019-08-18Book2-lucas_distributor_specspdf.thumb.png.785fbd29fdded90d63ff85e73eff1bca.png

and this on the distributor.  It's the correct series number for a Lotus and nicely dated to '74

_DSC1039.thumb.JPG.695d2532d252e41c8ff3459bef97ab08.JPG

On 29/08/2019 at 15:17, Trunnion 74 said:

Finally got round to taking apart the passenger door. 

I also came across this, an original (?) corner cap.  Should come in hand as a template for some fresh ones.

_DSC0949.thumb.jpg.f41ad85ec07cca49f14dae1584e7b8bd.jpg

If you are thinking of getting it scanned to produce a point cloud and then 3d printed I would be interested I getting a few...

You can use an App on a phone to take make a 3D representation of an object (it’s made of lots of individual points which when viewed in suitable software looks like a cloud of points)

which a 3D printer can use to replicate hens teeth and cuff links for unicorns 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have finally managed to get the roll hoop out of the car.   For reference the hoop is held in place each side by a large Nut/bolt at the bottom of the door pillar and a smaller nut/bolt at the top of the door pillar.  It is also has two bolts/screws that go through the door striker plate through a bracket welded to the roll hoop and into a plate which has captive nuts welded to it. The striker plate bolts took some getting out.  To get it out you need to push it back towards the rear of the car then lay it down you will the be able to manoeuvre it out.

Looking at the hoop in the car it appeared that it just had some surface rust.  Once out however, it was a different picture.  The rust damage at the bottom of the hoop wasn't visible from the inside as it was the edge that sat next to the inside of the door pillar.

516552366_Rollhoop.thumb.JPG.268a5db46e49403cec36785bb2c110fd.JPG

350166895_osrollhoopbase.thumb.JPG.0d5a81afba0641984f5222253157abbc.JPG  1660126147_nsrollhoopbase.thumb.JPG.cec377735ac04597a14267da380701e3.JPG

Roland

• Sad 2