free hit
counters
Coolant level sensor from header tank. '95 S4. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Coolant level sensor from header tank. '95 S4.

Just thought I would ask if anyone has one of these they may wish to part with or whether they can still be bought somewhere?

If I have found the correct part on the X-Ref file, it is this. A082M4825K.

And yes, I'm cranky.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Try here http://www.occaparts.fr/occaparts/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=176

Just in case anyone is interested. Brand spanking new. Getting this sent to me today from Peugeot in Melbourne. Have checked the measurements with the guy over the phone and looks to be absolutely ide

Posted Images

A082M4825K is a coolant module sensor in the box, are you sure you're not looking for the level sensor A082K6068F?

If so, they're a Peugeot item, P/N 1306 24, but they are now obsolete. There is however one for sale on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201718527958?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Margate Exotics.

You are right Ian. The sensor is what I require. Grrr.

ps. Thanks for the link

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Bloody thing should have a big red sticker on it saying,

'WARNING: NO user serviceable parts inside.'

29 minutes ago, ramjet said:

Bloody thing should have a big red sticker on it saying,

'WARNING: NO user serviceable parts inside.'

No genuine MAN would have paid heed to that sticker even if it DID exist.

:(

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

From my experience, they are prone to clogging up with shit, so it's well worth taking the sensor out, and giving it a flush when you service the car. There are a couple of small holes in the bottom of the nylon tube. For that reason I don't like them, and also in my opinion the coolant level has to fall too far before they activate.

Margate Exotics.

Mine was working fine. The idiot that thought he could clean it up a bit though?

I will admit that the rubber that the doohickey was contained in was quite gooey. Not sure if it was reacting with the glycol that was in the system?

Isn't it funny what you find as you dig into something. Serendipity really. The expansion tank was dirty. Don't know why as I have always used antifreeze and not tap water. Anyway. Pull the hoses leading to the tank and the air bleed from the large elbow at the front of the engine is rusted closed at the tank. The turbo return pipe has another problem in that the plastic is breaking away and the steel insert was the only thing holding the pipe on. I am also suspect as to whether it is the original insert. All the hoses are clear so that is nice, but if I buy the kit that Ian linked above, I'll change them all and be done with it.

It is a crying shame that I am doing all this to sell the car.

Maybe I'll win lotto between now and when I am done and I can afford to keep it.

Mike, you can carefully pop the base off the black tube. Tease it slowly starting with a Stanley blade. It's about 1.5mm thick. Once off you can clean the gunk out and get the foam and magnet slider to operate properly again. Reinstall the base or make a "u" shaped s/s clip to stop the slider falling off. Two small holes opposite each other on the black tube should work. Do not try and remove the reed switch. It's got some sort of filler around it so if you remove that and the switch you are more than likely going to break the glass tube the reed switch is in.

I've got another bottle here if yours is cracked and you want it.

DanR

Hi Dan,

My float level sensor is stuffed. Yep. By me. Thanks for the offer of the bottle, but as I now need the sensor as well, I will buy the kit from the guy n the UK hopefully.

Michael.

So I missed the kit on eBay by one pound. I was travelling to work so could not sit and watch and hopefully win it. Bummer.

Have contacted DanR again, so the bottle is sorted. Now I just have to find a sensor. Got an email back from SJ's and they said the Royal Mail cost would be 17 1/2 pound. On top of the 37 pound for the sensor. :wallbash: 

Is that price in Euros?

Tried the Occaparts info email and that bounced. I tried another wrecker here in Melbourne and that bounced. Got fed up and rang a Peugeot dealership in Melbourne. Got a lass named Jacinta who went out of her way and has found that Peugeot Australia can get them from France new.

Ordered and now waiting.

Happy. :) 

I must admit Derek, that I was a bit shocked when Jacinta said she could get it from France. I will believe it when I actually see it and will let everyone know on here. I gave her the part number, she checked with Peugeot Australia who said they could get one.

Let's wait and see. :coffee: 

The local Peugeot dealer I used told me that the level sensor, and indeed the header tank, were obsolete, just after he supplied me with them. He said unless there was any old stock left on the shelves around the country, they were the last. That was over two years ago, so unless Peugeot has started to re-stock them, perhaps the original manufacturers have tooled up due to demand.

Margate Exotics.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is interested. Brand spanking new. Getting this sent to me today from Peugeot in Melbourne. Have checked the measurements with the guy over the phone and looks to be absolutely identical.

Might pay to get into your local dealers now with the photo.

585718c5ec2cd_coolantsensor.jpeg.03df5ee6c0fc5960d0c4bb016bcfe498 copy.jpg

• Like 1

If I had the money, I would buy everything they had and then sell them on here for mucho dinero. Mwah ha ha ha.......

A question for the people who have opened these level sensors up - just what is it inside there that keeps breaking down into a grey paste and clogging everything up? Its like the thing isn't meant to be immersed in water at all!

All these stories of them being obsolete have deterred me from investigating further and breaking things.

On 24/11/2016 at 12:17, ian29gte said:

... unless Peugeot has started to re-stock them, perhaps the original manufacturers have tooled up due to demand.

As people seem to be actively restoring 205 GTis this sounds plausible.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

All I can recommend is don't open them up. :getmecoat:

The grey stuff around the reed switch does get gooey, but I am not sure if it actually falls apart and clogs the holes in the sensor up.

If you try and open it, you WILL be up for a new one.

I don't think it's what's in the sensor that is breaking down and forming paste, I believe it's other debris and material from within the cooling/charge-cooler system. The biggest problem is lack of internal circulation to flush all the crap out of the sensor. As I said earlier, there are only two tiny holes in it, and thus flow will be minimal.

Shortly after buying the car, I took my original level sensor out for an inspection. It was absolutely choked with shite, and would never have worked. I would venture to suggest that could be the case with most Esprit Peugeot sensors, unless their owners take the trouble to flush the sensors out on a regular basis. The Esprit has an inordinate number of potential places for cooling system leaks to occur, far more than any other car I've ever had, or seen, so the coolant level need to be closely monitored.

Margate Exotics.