free hit
counters
Komo-tec Switchable Sports Exhaust - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Komo-tec Switchable Sports Exhaust

Sorry for banging on about zorsts guys, but it's all very new to me!

This exhaust from Hangar111 sounds like it might be perfect for my uses - I.e. noisy for road, & then switchable to quiet for track with no loss of power. 

Sounds too good to be true. Is it?

Any one got any experiences?

Cheers in advance

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine is not suitable for track use! Im happy to come and drown you all out though 

Don't forget his is limited to 4k rpm for at least the next 12-18 months     

That's rather handy ? Would you be going to Central Lotus Evora 410 launch next weekend?

14 minutes ago, Crouchy said:

I too was very interested in the komotec until i heard it. heard it driving around for about 3 hours at a charity event and didn't even realise it wasn't standard until someone told me.

Oh dear - that's not good, especially at over a grand. 

The you tube video clips sound epic tho!

mmmmm - this exhaust game isn't straightforward is it. 

18 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

Yep. Try running a search. This has come up lots before. 

PS 'Zorst'? Really?

This is the problem - I'm doing lots of searches but not finding anything definitive. Also, some of the results are several years old & im sure we've progressed in some areas. 

P.S. Sorry about the zorst bit :-(

Don't take my word as gospel, its only my opinion. Someone I know bought a komotec off the back of hearing the same exhaust i did so its obviously just different opinions. 

Don't trust YouTube unless it's a video of all the exhaust together on the same clip taken with a proper Mic  (not iphone).

Personally I own a Larini and would be happy to buy another. I'd be equally happy with a 2bular but I wouldn't personally buy a komotec as the sound doesn't appeal to me even if the engineering\idea behind it does.

Edited by Crouchy
Spelling
3 hours ago, C1RVY said:

This is the problem - I'm doing lots of searches but not finding anything definitive. Also, some of the results are several years old & im sure we've progressed in some areas.

No worries. Have a read through of my thread here:

There are some recordings of just the KT switchable backbox and then some of the full KT system (headers, downpipe, 200 cell cat & backbox). 

3 hours ago, Crouchy said:

Don't take my word as gospel, its only my opinion. Someone I know bought a komotec off the back of hearing the same exhaust i did so its obviously just different opinions. 

Don't trust YouTube unless it's a video of all the exhaust together on the same clip taken with a proper Mic  (not iphone).

Personally I own a Larini and would be happy to buy another. I'd be equally happy with a 2bular but I wouldn't personally buy a komotec as the sound doesn't appeal to me even if the engineering\idea behind it does.

Does the Larini give you the option of loud for road & then quiet for trackdays?

Sort of.

It is a valved exhaust but it works the same as stock so the valve opens at 4-5k revs. Therefore it is open for most noise tests. I have since disabled the valve so its just in "loud mode" all the time, It was 103 static at oulton last month. Obviously it probably wouldn't get on at uber strict tracks like goodwood but so far the only issue ive had was at donington. When I went flat out I got black flagged with a 99.4 driveby, if I short shifted quickly through 4th into 5th at a certain point then I had no issues.

Mine is the version 1 larini and i know there is a version 2 but i dont know how it differs.

Probably the best exhaust is the 2bular "Track" system with the larger down turned add ons. Still a risk at certain tracks but then again so are a lot of modern sports cars even with standard exhausts.

23 minutes ago, Crouchy said:

Sort of.

It is a valved exhaust but it works the same as stock so the valve opens at 4-5k revs. Therefore it is open for most noise tests. I have since disabled the valve so its just in "loud mode" all the time, It was 103 static at oulton last month. Obviously it probably wouldn't get on at uber strict tracks like goodwood but so far the only issue ive had was at donington. When I went flat out I got black flagged with a 99.4 driveby, if I short shifted quickly through 4th into 5th at a certain point then I had no issues.

Mine is the version 1 larini and i know there is a version 2 but i dont know how it differs.

Probably the best exhaust is the 2bular "Track" system with the larger down turned add ons. Still a risk at certain tracks but then again so are a lot of modern sports cars even with standard exhausts.

Cheers Crouchy thanks for your help ??

Unfortunately, my car goes to Beau Technique on Saturday for a damn good clean, so if I manage to get over to Central I won't be in it.

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

14 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Unfortunately, my car goes to Beau Technique on Saturday for a damn good clean, so if I manage to get over to Central I won't be in it.

I would love to hook up at some point for a chat & a listen when you're free mate if possible 

19 hours ago, Crouchy said:

I too was very interested in the komotec until i heard it. heard it driving around for about 3 hours at a charity event and didn't even realise it wasn't standard until someone told me.

Possible that the valve was closed then?  It is definitely louder than standard with the valve open, as it has a straight through path in the silencer.

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111

I didn't mean to give the komotec exhaust any bad press as I'm sure it's an amazing bit of kit, it's just that the sound didn't appeal to me at all. to be fair the only other v6 at the event was mine with the Larini so I wasn't comparing it to a standard exhaust at the time.

• 1 month later...
On 21/11/2016 at 12:34, Rancid said:

@C1RVY Yes will have to meet up sometime

Hi Andy - any chance of me popping over for a listen to your exhaust sometime mate? Not a problem if you're not using the Exige at the moment - I'm not in any great rush. 

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

Forgot all about this - time flies...

Certainly, I can be around most Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Will have to do it before 20th of Jan though as I'm having an operation on my foot and won't be able to drive for 4-6 weeks :(

edit - this Saturday looks a bit iffy as I should be at a rugby match. Hic.

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

55 minutes ago, Rancid said:

Hi Simon

Forgot all about this - time flies...

Certainly, I can be around most Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

Will have to do it before 20th of Jan though as I'm having an operation on my foot and won't be able to drive for 4-6 weeks :(

edit - this Saturday looks a bit iffy as I should be at a rugby match. Hic.

Great stuff - many thanks. I'll check dates & suggest a couple of options .

Whereabouts are you located - or would you prefer to meet somewhere?

4 minutes ago, quantum2000 said:

Hi Simon,

If you fancy a comparison between the Komotec, 2bular Track and 2bular Road systems we could all meet up @LukeH

Jeff

Mine is not suitable for track use!

Im happy to come and drown you all out though :lol:

• Like 2