free hit
counters
Rattling door trim - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

• Gold FFM

Hi all,

my passenger door trim was rattling I guessed it was something loose in there. But when I took of the door card I found this, looks like it has been butchered to get the speaker in. Basically the fibreglass now has no strength so is this how they are from the factory? I can believe it can be like that. Next question is the fibreglass part available 

thank in advance I bloody hate rattles!  Sorry upside down 

IMG_0116.JPG.6480731164feb5fff59ccc2c18bc8312.JPG.d6f0f1f69864e54f3d4baf030f921108 copy.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine has the perforations there. Speakers no longer there but that cutout is not there. Rattles: Yes lots of stuff rattling about in the doors. The rods for the door locks rattle. Wiring harnesse

Have a word with Fabian and find out which speakers he fitted.

Do you mean speakers to replace the original oval TV speakers behind the perforations in the trim? If so I found some alternatives which are bigger but just fit (at least in my 82 Turbo). i am aw

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Right a bit of an update definitely butchered when fitting the speakers and I now see it actually part of the door, so I think I will have to see how my fibreglassing skills are these days. One question does anybody know what speakers they had originally? Pic below shows the original fixings and speaker cutout or has anyone done an upgrade to the door speakers that didn't require cutting half the door away.  Also found a fag butt in the door which made me laughIMG_0848.JPG

I think the S1, S2 and early S3's had oval mounted speakers on the door cards before they moved to fitting the Blaupunkt speakers on the dash and on the bulkhead. So maybe someone like Fabian or Paul Colman might know or have a suggestion, or maybe Jonny who has a dry sump like yours. I remember having to replace the door speakers on my S1 many years ago and as there were no manufacturers marks on the speaker I  ended up buying a pair of generic oval speakers from a Lucas wholesaler. They were the same depth as the originals and a perfect fit for the cut out but were not all that powerful, maybe 5-7w. Those Bass face speakers in the photo are rated at quite a bit more than that!

Normally Aspirated - and lovin' it!

• Gold FFM

Thanks Colin I need to find something that will fit I am not too worried about the sound to be honest. How loud can you play pop master :P. What is so annoying is someone butchered the door to get some crap speakers in. I know a bit about fibreglass as my old man loved a boat so I think I can repair it to put the strength back into it but obviously need to fit a speaker that won't compromise the door. 

Cheers 

danny 

6 hours ago, Dan E said:

Sorry upside down 

Fixed. :) 

That is a bit ordinary. You should be able to glass it back up and then cut a proper relief hole for your speakers.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Wouldn't be surprised if it left Lotus like that (the top pic in your topic) seeing as the speakers for your car were originally in the top of the door card hence the hole/perforations in the door card.

IMG_3228.JPG

• Gold FFM

I don't think it left Lotus like that, you can see where it has been cut out to fit the crap speaker. All I need is a speaker that will fit then I can rebuild the fibreglass. 

Mine has the perforations there. Speakers no longer there but that cutout is not there.

Rattles: Yes lots of stuff rattling about in the doors. The rods for the door locks rattle. Wiring harnesses bump around in the bottom of the door. They originally had bits of foam to prevent the rattles but the foam long since turns to dust. 

Curing rattles, knocks and squeaks etc is probably worth a thread on its own! 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Bumping this back up to the top, I am going to repair the doors in the next week or so this means I can't put these speakers back in so does anyone actually know what would/should fit? I would really appreciate some help here if possible.

Andy, once I get the doors repaired I am going to tidy up the wiring in there it is a bloody mess but I am guessing thats how i came out the factory. Lots of bullet connectors which is just nonsense. Soldering iron and some heat shrink will get that sorted then try to get it into some sort of loom and get the cigarette lighters working, I am still impressed it comes with 2 of them, proper smokers pack :)

• 2 months later...

@Dan E any update on this?

It appears the Alpine oval speakers I've lined-up to fit into my S1 will now foul the inner door due to their horizontal depth and dome-2-magnet depth.
Ta.

3 hours ago, Fridge said:

@Dan E any update on this?

It appears the Alpine oval speakers I've lined-up to fit into my S1 will now foul the inner door due to their horizontal depth and dome-2-magnet depth.
Ta.

Have a word with Fabian and find out which speakers he fitted.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Do you mean speakers to replace the original oval TV speakers behind the perforations in the trim? If so I found some alternatives which are bigger but just fit (at least in my 82 Turbo).

i am away at the moment but back in a couple of days and I will dig out the details and try to get some pics, I need to take the RH trim off again anyway as I found I have wired the cigar lighter backwards so can't use a sat nav :(

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

David sorry mate I haven't done this yet although I have repaired the doors. Andy that would be a great help 

Hmmm, sat nav thru the cigar lighter... too many bond movies:P

Something I learned about cars or planes, it all works until it doesn't anymore...sometime there is no way around it!

The speakers I used were JBL STAGE 6402

These are larger than the originals but just about fitted with mm to spare. Owing to the tight clearance I mounted them on the door rather than the trim. I used 3 40mm long fishplates to mount them to the door. The body of the speaker just cleared the top of the window motor and the magnet just cleared the sector gear of  the window arm. No cutting needed, just 3 holes.

The white foam piece which is glued on the front comes with the speakers and seals to the door card. The bottom of the speaker extends below the "ledge" section of the door card so I stuck a piece of foam to the door card under the ledge to fill the gap, which seals against the lower part of the white foam.

The studs which originally secured the speakers to the door cards have to be removed.

DSCN3385.JPG

DSCN3386.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks @Andyww

That gives me an alternative method of fitment to think about. JBL make good speakers which will be about the best for their size. Especially if supplementing other larger speakers. I bought similar Alpine SXE-4625S 4"x6" (10X15cm) Coaxial 2-Way Speakers which are 150W.

Edited by Fridge