free hit
counters
Red Turbo Esprit recommission project - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Red Turbo Esprit recommission project

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So I'm really Pleased with the condition and originality of the car. It does need some TLC which is what its getting now. Going to give the car a through clean and recon where necessary. Will make decisions on how far to go with the engine after its been replaced in the car with all the ancillaries re built, the engine has 61k on it and turns freely when wound over by hand. obviously will have new cam belt and I have been reliably informed that the clutch is new, well about 1k new.

4 minutes ago, Dan E said:

I don't really do red cars but the Esprit looks wonderful in that colour 

where did you find it. 

Up north.. lol. seller wants to remain annon

• Like 1

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

Looks like you have another Lotus lurking in the Background in the first picture.  must look better in pictures than how you described it this morning

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

IMG_1040.JPG

Yes Pete, up close it has some blistering. It's not the end of the world but does need doing. 

Suspension, brakes, chipped, chargecooler rad and pump,injectors,ignition coils and leads, BOV, highflow cat and zorst, Translator and tie rods, Head lights, LEDs to tail lights and interior,Polybushes to entire front end, Rad fans, rad grill, front end refurb with aluminium spreaderplates and galvanised bolts. Ram air, uprated fuel pump, silicone hoses through out, wheels refurbed and powder coated,much more, all maintenance.

IMG_1055.JPG

So decided to take out the lump to give it the once over

34 minutes ago, cbclotus said:

Hey Barry get to the back of the queue......Looks great Wayne .......Mike

Thanks Mike, has real potential, looking forward to a drive in the summer. Should be done by then. ??

So decided to take out the lump to give it the once over

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

Sorry about the pictures being the wrong way. Having a mare with this phone. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, punky said:

Ooh nice!

I shall have to pop over and say hello when mine's up and running!

Be good to see you Brother...

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

so stripped down and cleaned the carbs. All good

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

So decided to take out the lump to give it the once over.

some of the old aluminium water pipes were damaged by oxidisation so cleaned and repaired with duralite aluminium welding rods. Good fix.

IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

• Like 2

How much heat did you need?   I repaired a broken crossgate cable casting on the bellhousing, but needed oxy acetylene to get enough heat into it - which rather defeated the purpose of the product!.    Nice repair btw, as a few of mine are get a little porous.

13 hours ago, 910Esprit said:

How much heat did you need?   I repaired a broken crossgate cable casting on the bellhousing, but needed oxy acetylene to get enough heat into it - which rather defeated the purpose of the product!.    Nice repair btw, as a few of mine are get a little porous.

just used a map gas bottle on this pipe as the walls are so thin.

3 hours ago, SPADGER27 said:

YOU ARE TO CLEVER B-)

Tell my boss that Paul. I might get a pay rise then...lol

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 13:16, ian29gte said:

Would definitely be improved by the fitting of a polished alloy ring around the gearstick.:sofa:

i would agree if they fitted the G cars Ian... Only 2 left now so pleased that they are nearly gone.

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1245.JPG

IMG_1268.JPG

IMG_1269.JPG

IMG_1270.JPG

Rebuilding the turbocharger. This is the 4th one that I have done. Think I might be getting the hang of it now. 

Hi Wayne

I have an engine out at the moment and am unsure if the turbo bearings are Ok.

- Do you know how to measure the play?

-  If I find it needs rebuilding I assume it is just bearings/oil seal etc so relatively simple as long as great care is taken and the area is kept scrupulously clean?

-  Where do you get a genuine rebuild kit?  I have read somewhere the eBay China kits just don't last.

I am just aware of this thing spinning at 100000rpm or so so any intervention by me could easily upset the balancing.

Any advice. Would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil