free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 18 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

TLF News

^ You can always ask for a couple days off and ask them to take the car for a couple of days to the sunny Portugal or Spain...You test the car there, in some sunny roads around Ronda or in Catalonia. I am sure more than one person would volunteer to drive down South for you.

It sounds like a win-win to me.This is apparently how they did it in the old days, too. I think it would be a great link to their roots, too (since they cannot play the "Esprit parked in front of the studios" anymore).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very good and enjoyable write up in this months EVO ( and 2 lotus ads in the mag too...) by Richard Meaden, even mentions the LSD issue.  

Conclusion is 'The Sport 380 is not as everyday useable as something like a Porsche 911 - or indeed a Cayman GT4, arguably its closest rival. It takes more commitment to buy a Lotus and live with it, but thats always been the case; I'm sure Lotus owners wouldn't have it any other way. Ultimately the Sport 380 is brilliantly capable and truly covetable - drivers cars don't come much better at any price. '

• Like 1

Black n gold

Are the PR and marketing team at Lotus run by a team of graduates?

2 hours ago, Stubox said:

Very good and enjoyable write up in this months EVO ( and 2 lotus ads in the mag too...) by Richard Meaden, even mentions the LSD issue.  

What did he say about the LSD? 

www.alias23.com

Welcome to TLF Anthony, sounds like you've found the light! A 380 will be a hoot around the Alps :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/lotus/what-is-lotus-up-to-in-2017-and-beyond/

Looks like the 380 might be the last update. Gales says: ‘there is nothing more to come from the Exige’, although he allows there are still ideas for an increased downforce bodywork package, which may find its way onto a track-only version in the near future.

Also says that a 4-11 that sits between 3-11 and Exige may come. Not sure why a softer 3-11 should be called a 4-11 but Lotus are confusing me with naming strategy at present.

• Gold FFM

Totally agree with ^^^

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

+1

just for info, french well-known Sport Auto magazine has 12 pages on Lotus in its january issue, and both the Exige 380 and the Evora 410 reach 5/5 stars, which is quite rare with them, even though they're more pro-Lotus than Evo (jabby Crombac was one of the founders) ! There's also an interview of JMG... well done, Lotus !

They've said several times they wouldn't fit all the charge cooling to the Exige due to the heavier weight over front wheels. Which would then require power steering... which they don't want and is probably a chassis redesign to fit the rack.

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Isn't it just the radiator at the front and a couple of pipes? I wouldn't expect it to make any noticeable effect to the steering. Filling the windscreen washer up must add two kilos ha ha and with all the light weight gubbins up front from the V6S to latest gen car you would prob end up back where you started with?

The official line is they prioritized weight loss over power gain which is very admirable if true. However, I suspect that it's some marketing goon's notion of protecting the flagship status of the Evora that is behind it. That and doing just enough to justify a price hike while keeping development costs to an absolute minimum. A chargecooler would add cost and weight along with power, but there's no credible reason why the Exige would need power steering when the 311 does not. It's the first I've heard of that one!

However JMG claimed that they spent £1m on the Exige 380. In industry terms that's peanuts but it sounds like a lot to me. New tyres, aero and power hike chewed up some development time for sure but the new carbon panels are all bought in, the hardware changes to the engine are limited to a smaller pulley, everything else was already done.

311 has lighter clam, no screen (screen weighs a good few kilos).

400 also has oil cooler up front, that I don't think Exige has?

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

The KT Chargecooler installed in my car is not that heavy - I have seen all the pieces that were installed and the car came in at 1140 kg, if I remember correctly,  aftee the install (incl all the other changes I made) with some fuel in it ...

I definitely do not need power steering ?

On 12/27/2016 at 01:55, spizzboy said:

Well, I am a Lotus fan. 2 Exiges, one Elise S1. Also currently have a GTR 35 and. MX5 mk1 and the Elise.

my fun is European mountains and I have enjoyed the Lotus trio so very much although the MX5 is amazing. The Gtr great but not on Stelvio hairpins.

Had a Cayman s which was probably the best all rounder.

but the Lotus have so much character and I have ordered a 380 as opposed to a used Cayman Gt4 as a result.

i am excited and will report in due course. 

As to depreciation, bothers me not. I like driving and use my cars. 

Welcome to TLF Anthony. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Chris, it's the sort of thing Lotus used to do. I know several people with early Exige S2's that were supercharged by the factory post Exige 240R. If they have any sense they'll do it, I for one would rather have a factory upgrade than Komotec or whoever and I'm sure there would be good margins in it for the factory. I'm sure they would prefer that we all traded our cars in for Sport 380's though so if it does happen it won't be for some time.