free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 28 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally arrived at the dealer. Now waiting for pick up on 26/3 (business trip  ) Union Jack needs still to be placed as well as alcantara steering wheel and titanium exhaust. This is sent seperat

Well, almost there. No delivery date but I have to say this is looking like the dogs wotsits... Not sure what the net thing is in the boot? haven't/don't recall seeing that before.. And I ev

Ok here are my thoughts...please excuse writing style /ramblings.  I'd turned into a stuttering idiot by the time I'd got out of the car    Lotus Exige Sport 380   As I'm

Posted Images

1 hour ago, French Frie said:

so, my feedback, having seen it in the flesh ... very good looking carbon fiber parts, but matt plastic parts look dull then ! in my opinion, roof and rear panel should be upgraded to CF as well, to match and enhance the whole look of the car... JPS deco is a bit too much, with JPS logo on doors and roof, but stripes are fine. regarding the new rear panel with single lights, I definitely prefer the former one !

Agree totally with this. Having gone to the trouble of adding all those graphics (too much gold IMO) the roof, engine cover, mirrors, side pods and canards should definitely be CF. I'd also have removed the Matt decals around the headlight.

we all have our opinions and that's why there's a good variation in the look and spec of our cars ?

img_7616.jpg?w=2048&h=1536

It reminds me of this, one of my all time favourite Lotus models/colour schemes :wub:

Overall I like it on the Exige - it works because the car looks like it belongs on a track. For me, I'd remove the JPS from the roof and preferably have the roof painted body colour. The carbon fibre access panel looks lovely, it's a shame the engine cover isn't the same.

• Like 2

I like that it shows we're all different, but that JPS treatment on the 380 leaves me cold. I've never felt that it worked well on a curvy, full bodied car. 80s F1 yes, Esprit yes, 111S borderline, that 211 surprisingly yes, Exige V6 not so much. Looks a bit too much "We had some gold tape left over..."

As I say though, just my opinion.

Just wanted to share something I've discovered about the S380.

On the few occasions when I was able to look down at the tacho when hanging on to the S380 at full chat, I noticed that it cut-out at what looked like 6700rpm. That's right on peak power. I wasn't 100% sure which 'mode' the car was in at the time so I didn't want to make anything of it until I had looked into it further. I can confirm that the car revs to 6800rpm max regardless of DPM mode. That's the same as the 345bhp car's 'tour' mode cut-out.

I can also confirm that the car sounds absolutely amazing at 6800rpm, better than the Sport 350 at 7,000rpm. I doubt anyone else will care much, nor should they really, but I am slightly disappointed that the 380 revs 400rpm less than my V6 Cup.

I should qualify this by saying that if I had my way I would insist on every sports car revving to a bare minimum of 8500rpm. I know it's just a number on a dial but I just think sports car engines should rev higher than you're run-of-the-mill hatch.

Crazy high revs are a thing of the past sadly. Even Honda limits the new NSX to 7500rpm. The Ferrari 488 revs to 8000rpm max (458 was 9000rpm). But there you have it. The Evora 400 revs higher. For me anyway, the extra few hundred rpm is noticeable in that car, particularly when it makes peak power at 7000rpm.

• Like 2
On 23/11/2016 at 14:06, French Frie said:

This pictures is already a lot more appealing :

IMG_0921.JPG

I love this car. The colour is fantastic and even the orange flashes in the interior work brilliantly IMO. 

I can genuinely see myself owning a 380 one day. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Can't get to liking that spoiler. It looks like a pinky girlie went to Halfords and copped out on the full booner moother fooker wing it really needs and is crying out for...

Car looks fab every else, but the spoiler to me. It really spoils it.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 07/02/2017 at 07:04, French Frie said:

A Sport 380, in a JPS-like livery, on the Club Lotus France stand for Rétromobile, which starts tomorrow :wub: :

639516380JPS.jpg

This has Scott Walker's finger prints all over it - especially as the JPS 211 was his car!!

"Simplify, then add lightness”

18 hours ago, The Pits said:

On the few occasions when I was able to look down at the tacho when hanging on to the S380 at full chat, I noticed that it cut-out at what looked like 6700rpm. That's right on peak power. I wasn't 100% sure which 'mode' the car was in at the time so I didn't want to make anything of it until I had looked into it further. I can confirm that the car revs to 6800rpm max regardless of DPM mode. That's the same as the 345bhp car's 'tour' mode cut-out.

If the evora 410 revs higher than 6800, can a tune increase rpms in an exige and still be safe? 

410/400 rev to 7k but have a different charger etc.

So maybe the pulley changed on the 380 hence lowering limit?

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

18 hours ago, The Pits said:

On the few occasions when I was able to look down at the tacho when hanging on to the S380 at full chat, I noticed that it cut-out at what looked like 6700rpm. That's right on peak power.

I doubt anyone else will care much, nor should they really, but I am slightly disappointed that the 380 revs 400rpm less than my V6 Cup.

I should qualify this by saying that if I had my way I would insist on every sports car revving to a bare minimum of 8500rpm. I know it's just a number on a dial but I just think sports car engines should rev higher than you're run-of-the-mill hatch.

Crazy high revs are a thing of the past sadly. Even Honda limits the new NSX to 7500rpm. The Ferrari 488 revs to 8000rpm max (458 was 9000rpm).

Jonny: you are not the only one that cares about that ... in a true sports car this is an issue and for me a big negative vs the alternative to get to the 380 power level via an upgrade (with whom ever)...

I love that my V6 revs to 7200+ rpm and anybody who has ever driven a V6/350 or one of those high revings cars you mentioned will dearly miss that.

The 458 or the 991 GT3 engines are pieces of art ... and if you have ever revd one of those to the limiter you are spoiled for live and will always remember that ...

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, ozrs said:

If the evora 410 revs higher than 6800, can a tune increase rpms in an exige and still be safe? 

Welcome to TLF Oz. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions topic and say hi in there as well. :) 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

With my gtr I e-tuned it through ecutec and the focus rs I will likely get a cobb accessport and e-tune it also. Both connect to the obdII port. Both engines are capable of making much more power with only a few bolt on modifications. I'm sure Lotus would not have gone near the engines tolerances and would have kept figures conservative. 

How does it work in the Lotus community with ecu tuning ? Is it common to increase the rev limiter? Do you data log and then email to your tuner?

Jonny: I already can tell you 4 months after the upgrade, with 460bhp, 485sh NM of torque the standard gearbox seems to be ok if you only road use the car. As soon as you are a (heavy) track user you will need to do smthg about the gearbox. I am having a gearbox oil cooler installed next week. A lot of the issues come from excessive oil temps, I therefore hope that the oil cooler will do the job.

• Like 1

For some reason tuning is not very common among Lotus cars. Those that do mod theirs tend to go to established tuning houses such as Komotec, not many go in for home tuning, or at least not many admit to it! It's strange because having a tough japanese V6 means access to a whole world of high quality upgrades. I'm not at all against tuning in principle and would love to try a Sport 380 that revved to 7000rpm if only for the noise! The Evora Sport 410 is also begging to be allowed more than 7000rpm too.

However, in practice I've found that my car is stunningly quick as it is so the desire to go for more power hasn't been very strong so far. There is also the sense, for me at least, that a Lotus is about a balance between power, braking and grip. Lotus cars have never been straight line dragsters, they have never been the most powerful cars you can get for the money. Lotus have traditionally been a bit tight with horsepower but typically they are at a level which means you can use all of it without upsetting the balance of the car. My own Caterham race car is a bit of a dragster with 250bhp and it was a good learning experience to see how close a 200bhp R300 can run to it, just because you can nail it out of corners where you're having to be more progressive and patient on the throttle with the more powerful car. I was actually losing time from apex to exit. For much the same reason, a 260bhp Exige is faster around a track than a 380bhp TVR Tuscan.

I'd love to try a 460bhp Exige, Lotus cars do tend to be over-chassis'd and most can handle more power with ease. But if it turned my Exige into a straight line monster at the expense of it's current balance then something would be lost in the process. With a small, light car it's more easy to upset the balance too. Less so with 1.8 tons of GTR!

• Like 2

A black 380 :wub:

Remove all the horrid gold tape, paint all the CF and the nasty matte stuff and you have a truely desirable car.

Oh and the spoiler needs to revert to 350 or have the areo pack option from the cup.

4 hours ago, JG220 said:

How long before we all order the barge boards :lol: ?

I think Lotus will be very exclusive on supplying the barge boards... and if they do the cost likely will be scandalous!

Eltech is due to release barge boards for the V6 shortly. Hoping OSport here in the U.K. will also design an option.

Ive already made myself a template just need to get my arse in gear and make a pair for trial fitment.

They do make the car IMO

www.alias23.com