free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 3 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

I've been waiting for this car to be revealed for the past three months and find myself underwhelmed. The 360 Cup has become even more appealing now.

I will reserve final judgement until I see one close up. The colour certainly doesn't help matters. 

Bring back the Motosport Department please.

Oh and if this is appealing to more Porsche boys, then that worries me.

I also don't think much of the clown running the show, spouting about Colin Chapman all the time but not really "getting it".

Phil

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally arrived at the dealer. Now waiting for pick up on 26/3 (business trip  ) Union Jack needs still to be placed as well as alcantara steering wheel and titanium exhaust. This is sent seperat

Well, almost there. No delivery date but I have to say this is looking like the dogs wotsits... Not sure what the net thing is in the boot? haven't/don't recall seeing that before.. And I ev

Ok here are my thoughts...please excuse writing style /ramblings.  I'd turned into a stuttering idiot by the time I'd got out of the car    Lotus Exige Sport 380   As I'm

Posted Images

4 hours ago, LukeH said:

Can't help thinking if you got a decent deal on a 350 with the right spec and threw the £10-15k saving at - TVS Charger / Nitrons / Light Battery / Exhaust / Cup R Aero you would have a 'better' car? 

I also agree.

2 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Question:

Are Lotus squishing their models too close together? There seems to me to be not enough for the average non-enthusiast punter to distinguish what's going on with all of these cars. The names are a bit all over the shop and the whole Lotus range pretty much occupies the space from £40k to £80k - not enough seems to be done either to really prove why they are different models. Obviously those of us familiar with the brand know the differences, but I'd be concerned going into the brand with the rate at which they're introducing "new" cars.

This seems to be in vogue. I find McLaren are doing the same thing. Except Lotus have "Sport" or "Cup" or "Limited Edition" in their nomenclature whereas McLaren seem to be using standards for designating fax machines.

I also feel they're starting to dilute the coveted "Sport" moniker. "Sport" should be something that's damned near unobtanium (Esprit Sport 300), built in a stupidly low number, and selling for silly money on the side.  A bit like a Porsche GT4?  

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Yes - Sport has lost all meaning now, given the Elise S is now the "sport 220", and all Exiges are pretty much "sport"... I guess the cup cars had somewhat replaced them but now they've stopped. It's a bit meaningless

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Re Cup comments, will be interesting to see what lap times this car produces.  If it's faster than existing Cup cars and drives well, will the majority of buyers  worry about the Cup titles or not ?

Personally think the car looks ace and fair play to Lotus who seem to be on a roll at the mo :)

Edited by DJW
  • Like 2

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

I expect that would depend entirely on whether you previously owned a Cup car or not. I expect a large part of the ownership experience of a cup car was the people who built it and, presumably, the relationship you'd have with them. I have zero experience of that, I am sure others will be able to comment

James Martin (JayEmm)

as an interested observer think car looks great and what else can you buy under 70,000 that can do 0-60 in 3.5 secs and reach 170  mph

• Like 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

0-60 time not much will come close at the money, 170mph is nothing to write home about although in reality I find the downforce figure more impressive - 140+kg is proper stuff. I'm surprised they haven't quoted a Hethel time in the press release (or did I miss it?)

They like to keep pointing out the Evora is x seconds quicker than the old one

James Martin (JayEmm)

Supercar killer? Supercar killed, is orribile. The fantastic design of Donato Coco is spoiled. The rear with the small lights and whitout grids it seems a wall. Finally the price is much expensive.

• Like 1

Over the years ... 1999-2001 Toyota Celica 1.8 ~ 2001-2004 Audi TT Quattro 225 hp ~ 2004-2005 Audi A3 2.0 TDI ~ 2005-2008 Honda S2000 ~ 2008-2014 Lotus Exige 240S ~ 2008-2012 Toyota Aygo 1.0 ~ June 2014-January 2015 Subaru WRX STI my 15 ~ 2013-November 2016 Lexus CT200h ~ NOW June 2015 Lotus Exige S V6 ~ December 2016 Honda Civic Type R FK2

8 hours ago, The Pits said:

Damn. I had very high hopes that this would be my next Lotus.

Not keen personally. I was hoping it would be a Cup car. Maybe there won't be any more Cup cars?

They can't seriously have a Sport 350 and a Sport 380 can they?!

I'm not keen on the eyeliner but that can be easily removed. I don't think the new 311 style rear treatment is in any way better. Maybe that won't look so bad in reality but I love the signature rear of the current car. The new wing just doesn't look as good to my eyes and is still mounted into the engine cover. A proper rear wing would be mounted into the chassis like the CupR/311. I was dearly hoping for that which would also produce some proper downforce. The Elise Cup 250 still produces a fair amount more - 155kg at 150mph and is a much more cohesive design to my eyes. I like the idea of carbon parts as standard but it's a very complicated and confusing spec. Matt black panels here, gloss black panels there seems indecisive. Evora 410 exhaust will sound immense as we know, titanium option is amazing but we also know there are serious issues for track use. Who is going to buy an Exige just for road use? I think the Evora Sport 410 is more convincing.

"The Lotus Exige Sport 380 is available as a roadster as standard and as a coupe as an option."

WTF? So I can have a Sport 380 Roadster Auto? It just seems all over the place.

As always I will reserve final judgement until seeing it in the flesh and hopefully driving it.

Right now though an Evora Sport 410 or a full Aero pack and 1900cc charger on my car is much more appealing.

Well Jonny, must admit not quite what I was expecting however on the (previous Exige 400) thread you said you hoped for 380 power o/p with a power to weight of almost 350 and if the weight was around the sport 350's of 1099 with the lightweight exhaust.... 60% more down force

it sounds pretty close to what you wanted tbh

we are going to Central Lotus this Sunday we were looking to put a deposit down on the 410, but the 380 coupe is a contender for the deposit yes it ticks all the boxes available without seeing and driving one a thumbs up from me

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

I wouldn't say that's what I hoped for but would understand the engineering reasons behind keeping the weight low as the priority over a power increase. I was hoping for a chargecooled Cup 420 with strengthened gearbox, lsd, carbon brakes, TFT data logging and the CupR aero kit!

In my mind it was going to be a more cohesive and radical design in terms of aero, more like the Cup 250 which manages to both look amazing and generate proper ground breaking downforce. It's a disappointment to me that it isn't meaningfully lighter than the Sport 350 (the lightest spec comes in at 1115kg) despite all the carbon panels, nor generates as much downforce as the Cup 250. I have gotten to the bottom of why it's heavier than the Hethel Edition as stated above so prepared to accept the weight but it would have been nice to see the downward trend on weight continue. I was hoping for sub 1100kg at the least. At least the titanium pipe can get it down to 1100kg on the nose.

Bottom line, it's purely personal taste but I find the Cup 360 and the Hethel Edition to be better looking. Again I reserve final judgement until I see it in the flesh.

The last thing I want to put anyone off, I'm delighted there are those who like it. As said before the thought of it as a Roadster for mainly road use makes all kinds of sense to me. It will be utterly amazing and as close as we'll get to an Evora 400 with a removable roof panel for the time being. As a V6 Cup owner I was hoping this would be the replacement but it seems they are taking the car in a different direction. I had some personal interest in this car so this is my personal first impression. I'm writing purely as a fan and owner of the Exige. I'm quite sure Bibs would have a very different view and it's to his great credit that he's happy for mods to speak freely when it comes to new models on here.

Intirugued by comparison vs Evora 400, as totally different cars, weights and without doing the calcs the Exige must have more impressive bhp per ton already as a 350 ?

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Different cars aimed at different markets. Problem is they are far too close in price now in my opinion. The Evora needs to have some distance between it and the Exige if it is going to be a proper flagship

James Martin (JayEmm)

2 hours ago, JayEmm said:

I expect that would depend entirely on whether you previously owned a Cup car or not. I expect a large part of the ownership experience of a cup car was the people who built it and, presumably, the relationship you'd have with them. I have zero experience of that, I am sure others will be able to comment

James, 

we owned a Cup 260 from new for 3.5 years, it was the best Lotus we have owned with out doubt, I remember the day we first saw our Cup going down the production line and being able to compare the CF roof and rear cover compared to the GRP items as though it was yesterday, yes I regret trading in for our V6: but there is something about the V6, the 380 for me is going in the right direction

i was hoping we would get the 410 or 460 with a proper gearbox using CF for bodywork etc. with a weight of around 1000kgs as a GT3 but (JMG) Santa didn't answer my prayers, but I won't stop dreaming

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own a true British supercar the Evora GT430

Lotus are just not that sophisticated. That's a positive thing for me, they don't waste precious time and money on marketing BS. They're just trying to make the cars lighter and faster. You just buy the one you like.

Many people seem more concerned with their marketing strategy (or lack of)! Everyone on ph is a ruddy marketing expert! I'm not bothered by overlap or market sectors. What bothers me is when neither of the two fastest Lotus road cars can be taken on many trackdays.

• Like 1

@DarrylV8 I would think it would be impossible to get an Evora even close to a 1000kg car - even the race car probably weighs 1100-1200?

Jonny is pretty right to mention the exhaust, that's a huge stumbling block. Lotus may lose the few enthusiasts they have if their products are no longer trackable

James Martin (JayEmm)

After the backlash of Evora 400 owners complaining to dealers about not being able to get on track due to noise  , I can't imagine Lotus have ignored that for their premium track orinetated car 

Those not particularly into trackdays have never had it so good. The Evora 400 sounds at least as good as any V6 I've ever heard. I would love to hear that howl coming out of the back of an Exige, bouncing off the mountains in the Alps. It's the stuff of dreams.

But it's a great that I can enjoy my Exige on any track I choose (apart from Zandvoort - never again!) and also why I didn't fit the twin exit sports exhaust.

The 311 also has noise issues, there are still noisy trackdays and I have driven the E400 at Goodwood which is pretty strict. But the trackday noise issue seems to be getting worse and Lotus cars seem to be getting a lot louder!

I expected more than a simple power hike and weightloss, yet I was probably wrong to expect more than that, this platform has reached its limits. There's little they can do now except for using a different compound for the body panels... Shaving 1cm of the sills is probably an achievement but it shows that there's only so much the can do on that front with the small platform. Yet the car has bonker specs but it is not like the Sport 350 is shabby in that respect.  Yes it will whack a GT4, it was always going to...being more of a Lotus track toy....

Still I don't understand the branding, it doesn't make sense to me, It does not replace the sport 350 ; it comes barely a year after ; It comes in addition to a car that is already pretty bonkers ; It sorts of leaves a vacuum even though it claims to be the new top of the range ; yet, the Elise has a fixed roof 250 Cup as top of the range....   I wanted to see a Cup model not another Sport, This car is a cup but then it is not, it is like a BMW M135i when you really want 1M. Off course it doesn't matter to me much as it will never make it over to my side.

People will keep on waiting for a 400 Cup that Lotus will not produce cause the 400 engine requires charge cooling and probably a LSD so adding some kg... which goes against "cuping" I think. 

I don't understand how they chose the demo car as it is unflattering at best and a mess of a spec, probably cause they want to display as many option as possible on one car.