free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 30 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

TLF News

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think that's the idea. Getting somewhere around £45k is a strong trade in value for a 2014 V6S I'd have said.

You don't need to see a render of orange, you know it will look amazing if you like orange. Go for McLaren volcano orange if you can but I reckon that will be quite a bit extra over the various Lotus oranges.

@ Geartox...

Hmmmm ?.. I'd forgot about the extra 30 hp or so.... £1K per hp.... ???... I can feel the kick in the pants already...

Edited by Mark030358
  • Like 1

Hi gearbox,

Yep that was the quote. However, as was noted a good trade in deal for a 2.5 year old car.

But after reading the quotes on "future" changes to this model in that magazine article, it makes me 

wonder.

cheers

mark

1 hour ago, Mark030358 said:

Hi gearbox,

I find myself talking to the gearbox of my Elise/Exige, too. Especially when I miss the gear ;)

Upgrades make sense to personalize the car. To upgrade the car to the "new model", not IMO. So what is that really bothers you on your car? That it's not the new model? Then there is only one way to solve it... If you want more power, a few carbon / custom bits - just buy those. Even 380 doesn't come with everything (as far as I know it doesn't have baffled sump). So if you feel you need some specific things on your car: some upgrading will be necessary whatever is your starting point. And I'm sure there will be more HP in future Exiges: it's easy and rather inexpensive to get 410+ reliable HP from this engine.

If you look it from driving fun perspective: it will stay about the same. When I drive my Elise, I'm not suffering as I am not sitting in the Exige. So be honest to yourself: the majority of money spent on your car goes on how you feel when it's parked in your garage LOL

• Like 1

@ Samol

Interesting ... never looked at it like that, I suppose you might be right. Is it because its new or better? Interesting question.

thanks

If you are racing, then every small bit matters. If you go out and enjoy the car in the windy roads, then for me only two things have spoiled the fun:

- Brakes that have overheated. But when you figure out what you really need (what brake fluid, what brake pads) you get that sorted out and from there usually won't repeat.

- Wrong tyres. And I don't drive only on semislicks: for night driving I prefer fast road tyres as they have less grip and I am able to enjoy slides at lower speeds. Really bad tyres can ruin your fun. Recently I've ditched GY Eagle Asymmetric 2 (had them on my Elise), as DPM (even in sport) went crazy in the corners because of soft sidewalls.

Certainly you will notice better suspension or more light at night. But will a few pounds less or a bit more downforce really make any difference? IMO: not even on a track unless you are racing / timing your laps. But there are a lot of things that can make you FEEL better: the colour of your car, carbon bits on the interior, better sound of exhaust,.. And then there are even more things that make you feel better when the car is parked in your garage ;) 

• Like 1

@Samol...

WoW... lost for words, I really am.... boiled brake fluid, cooked pads, soft side walls ... I can't even spell asymmetrical without spell check...

Alll I want to do is polish a rocket....

As for night driving, try Ann Summers.... I'm sure they have semi slicks and all that kind of rubber stuff....

:zorro:

Cooked the brakes on the road!? Really?

I can't image what you were doing to achieve that! :blink:

Yes modifying your own car can often be more cost effective than buying a new one. In the same way, there aren't many rational arguments for buying any car brand new. It makes more sense when you can order something bespoke and unique which is what Lotus can offer. 3 year warranty is also a nice thing to have with an expensive car. That definitely has some value. Fair play to anyone who wants to get a new Sport 380 instead of an upgraded V6S. Good job some people are prepared to take the hit on a new car, otherwise there wouldn't be any used ones for everyone else!

It's actually easier to overheat the brakes on mountain passes than on a race track. Have done it with every car I've owned so far, except with Exige and Caterham (but also these two came with shitty brake pads from factory). But this is a wrong thread for that discussion ;)

We were talking about upgrading vs new Exige 380. I will not trade my Exige for another Exige, as it will still be the same car + some updates. But I believe that for some people it makes sense.

I won't either ... the next one will have to be really different, or I will have to be unfaithfull  :blush: ! I prefer to upgrade my Exige rather than to exchange it ... but as I do love to drive my car, now the other point rising is : how many miles can be done until the car has a too high mileage to be sold correctly ?  Because, thinking that way, it may be wise to change ...

PS : if the Exige prices still increase in the next few years, a two or three years old McLaren 540C may be a very good alternative ... but would be a lot more expensive to run ! I've tested the 570GT, and i can't say I stayed cold ...

• Like 2

I don't have a luxury of owning a McLaren here in Cyprus. There is no McLaren service :( And as it is an island I am pretty limited to what I have here: Lotus, Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Merceds. And then when you want to drive with the top off, the last two don't have anything that would excite me. Porsche would be crazy expensive to run (one set of tyres lasts about 1000 miles even on light Lotuses), and a Ferrari would be even more expensive. So if you don't want to just own a car, but also drive it hard, have roof off and air condition, there is no better car than Exige. So I wish all the best to Lotus and to stay true to what they are doing, so that I have something reasonable to buy in three yeas :) Although, the next Exige will most likely be four pot, and most probably there will be no Esprit at the same time :(

• Gold FFM

I've never understood buying a new car, thinking of the next owner when you spec it, worrying and fretting over driving it in case you put miles on it.

Depreciation is a pig. But it is just about what every new car does. So if you buy new, you're going to get hit so just accept and enjoy your car.

I hate depreciation so rarely buy new. The upside is I get to not worry about the next owner or the mikes I drive. My trade off is around colour / spec and I accept it.

We bought my wife's Qashqai new. A momentary slip on my part. It's lost £14k in 2.5 years and that really pisses me off. But then wifeys happy so I guess it was a good trade off.

I'd love a 400 or a 410. I'll have one one day. But not when I could lose £35k in 3 years on depreciation. I could buy a 1 year old Elise 220 Cup for that money ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

@nerobi..

yeah, thats what I understood as well... Getting to the point where an "affordable supercar" suddenly becomes "unaffordable pipe dream" in that space of 4 years.

Just been to Oakmere Bacon Butty morning to have a look at 380's in the flesh. Nice, more than nice, but I thought the Kawasaki Elise Cup was then best car they had for price and looks.

Of the 3 exige owners I spoke to, two of them said they would upgrade their own car rather than buy a 380

So still thinking... ;(

IMG_3545.JPG

IMG_3541.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

Edited by Mark030358
  • Like 1

I would never get rid of my V6 for a newer one/380 whatever. It would break my heart to see someone else driving off with it. But a second hand 400 in addition to it...

• Like 2

On 2/19/2017 at 05:41, SamoL said:

It's actually easier to overheat the brakes on mountain passes than on a race track. Have done it with every car I've owned so far, except with Exige and Caterham (but also these two came with shitty brake pads from factory). But this is a wrong thread for that discussion ;)

We were talking about upgrading vs new Exige 380. I will not trade my Exige for another Exige, as it will still be the same car + some updates. But I believe that for some people it makes sense.

This is true, I've cooked the brakes on a few cars in the past, and once, completely lost my brakes going very hard down a mountain with some friends. Would be surprised if it happened to the Exige though.

On 19/02/2017 at 08:58, SamoL said:

So if you don't want to just own a car, but also drive it hard, have roof off and air condition, there is no better car than Exige. So I wish all the best to Lotus and to stay true to what they are doing, so that I have something reasonable to buy in three years :)

@SamoL: I totally agree, Samo B-) ... that's why I'll keep my Roadster for a long time ! but having done 18,000 kms in 1.5 years, and planning to do even more mileage in the future each year, I wonder when it starts to be detrimental... And I admit that running costs (and purchase price !) has kept me away from buying a "real" supercar, but McLarens are really appealing and, like Lotuses, a real british achievement :unworthy: ! BTW,  this review of the 540C from James May is clever, IMHO : https://drivetribe.com/p/SJRl4GsgSd-ufwiRkbiRVg?iid=NSJKoiN_TKK8mcNae6_NkQ

regarding the future engine, I hope it will remain a 6 pots one ! Toyota is producing new engines (and new gearboxes !) that will hopefully meet new regulations ... And I hope they will remain supercharged rather than turbocharged, as I love the low end torque the SC offers (and turbo lag was a downside of the 570GT I tested), but I guess my wish won't be granted on this point :blush: !