free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 39 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

I didn't spec the adjustable suspension when I ordered my 380, now beginning to think I should. Reason is, like lots of other guys on here, I want to start doing track days. I never did in my V6S as work took up too much of my time. So the thing is, I will be a rank novice, so would it be worth it? I know this is a loaded question as everyone has different ideas, but what would it give me given my skill level to start would be zero. Further, is, or would there be a detrimental effect on regular road use?

cheers

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally arrived at the dealer. Now waiting for pick up on 26/3 (business trip  ) Union Jack needs still to be placed as well as alcantara steering wheel and titanium exhaust. This is sent seperat

Well, almost there. No delivery date but I have to say this is looking like the dogs wotsits... Not sure what the net thing is in the boot? haven't/don't recall seeing that before.. And I ev

Ok here are my thoughts...please excuse writing style /ramblings.  I'd turned into a stuttering idiot by the time I'd got out of the car    Lotus Exige Sport 380   As I'm

Posted Images

You'll get much better informed responses from the more experienced members on here than me!  But, as someone new to Lotus and someone relatively new to track days, I asked myself a similar question when deciding which car to buy.  I wanted a track capable car and after lots of research I knew without doubt an Exige straight out of the box would deliver.  I haven't driven a 380 but I am sure that it is more than capable on track with the standard fit suspension so if you stick with that you'll be fine and have loads of fun with the car on track.  Adjustable dampers will need some knowledge/experience to be able to adjust from a road to track setting, so if that's not the case (like me) then you may have to pay to get them set up.  After time I'm sure you would be more than comfortable to set them to provide a firmer ride on track and switch back for road, once shown I'm sure it is fairly straight forward.  I don't know how much you can adjust them without causing camber and other problems though?  The Nitron dampers are easier to adjust using the reservoirs in the boot and under the front access panel than the Ohlins dampers.

Thing is, track days are addictive and the more you get in to them the more you'll start thinking about what it would be like with firmer dampers and to have them fitted later will cost much more than to spec from new.  (Part of the reason I chose my car was my intention to go on more track days).  You would have to be happy to accept a firmer ride on road though, so if it is only two or three track days here and there, you would probably be happier with the standard set up as they are supposed to be very nice on road. (@The Pits can help here as he drove the 380 in a review video and can compare set up to his Cup car).

Regarding track days the other big concern is noise and with the amazing sounding exhaust the 380 has, it might be a bit on the noisy side for a lot of our tracks.  That said it could be fine on the 105db days, it might be a little early to tell as I'm not sure how many 380s have tried to venture on to track in the UK yet.

Maybe your dealer has an Exige with adjustable dampers so you can compare the ride, worth a try.

8 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

I didn't spec the adjustable suspension when I ordered my 380, now beginning to think I should. Reason is, like lots of other guys on here, I want to start doing track days. I never did in my V6S as work took up too much of my time. So the thing is, I will be a rank novice, so would it be worth it? I know this is a loaded question as everyone has different ideas, but what would it give me given my skill level to start would be zero. Further, is, or would there be a detrimental effect on regular road use?

cheers

Mark

You HAVE to take the track pack, believe me ! It is a NO brainer

• Like 1

but still OK for the road without shaking my teeth loose?

thanks

Mark

Edited by Mark030358

I can't remember your car history Mark but if you're used to something softer like a Cayman S you'll probably find the standard suspension firm enough. I also think the car performs really well on track out of the box, the Exige Sport set up is already more track focused than the original Exige V6S.

However just to confuse matters the Nitrons do work well on the road and are easy to adjust as has already been mentioned above. The biggest difference is at low speeds, the Nitrons feel more jiggly but they really become much more compliant with speed. I love them personally but would stick with the standard Sport 380 set up for mainly road use, just because an Exige Sport is already very capable on the track. I'm sure you will want to do more trackdays though, the Exige feels so at home on track you will wish you had done it sooner. The track is really where the extra cost of the Nitrons really pays off, you might take a few more trackdays and a drive in a standard car on track to fully appreciate what they're doing. As for adjustment I'm no suspension guru but it's nice to have a play around. The difference is not huge between full hard and soft, I don't think you can ruin the handling, it's very fine tuning just using the compression adjusters.

Hard to give clear cut advice as it comes down to personal taste but try and get out in a car with Nitrons if you can. Maybe ask your dealer to let you know if they are getting a car in that you could go out in, even as a passenger? There should be a few Nitron cars at the TLF day on May 7th but not sure if you can hang on until then?

@The Pits

could you please explain to me and list what parts make the Sport 350 more track focused than a V6S ?

I've tested a Sport two weeks ago, but I was concentrated on the gearbox mechanism, the car was brand new, on public road,...

I'm just looking ahead : I track, I know the driving technics I've have to improved, but I also like to know what can easily adapted on my V6S without altering the original idea of Lotus' engineers.

Sport 350 comes with the same dampers as V6S 'Race Pack' as standard, plus different wheels, and changes to the suspension geometry and steering rack.

Lots of detail here: https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/driven-exige-sport-350/

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

Sport 350 comes with the same dampers as V6S 'Race Pack' as standard, plus different wheels, and changes to the suspension geometry and steering rack.

Lots of detail here: https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/driven-exige-sport-350/

Thanks a lot.

Good choice if you can stretch to the extra cost, at least you have the option to soften the Nitrons a little for the road and firm them up for the track. The Sport 350 that set the 1.29.8 laptime around the Hethel test track had Nitrons. Very good shocks and developed jointly between Lotus and Nitron just for the Exige.

:thumbup:

Controversial perhaps but for a novice you don't need adjustable shocks. How long do you expect to keep the car for? I have done a lot of trackdays in the past 10 years, but only one car had adjustable shocks on - I put 1 way JRzs on my S2 exige after 3 years, and sold it within about 6 months because it became too unusable on the road! My V6, which replaced the S2, has the race pack shocks and they are more than good enough for me on both road and track. Having had a passenger ride with Gary at Spa, the most noticeable difference were his semi Slicks compared to my shot corsas. There was less dive under breaking than with my car, but I don't think mine was limited by the shocks in its handling set up compared to his - on decent tyres and with some more circuit knowledge  I think I would've kept up with him fine. I kept Arun honest at Snetterton last month anyway! 

For resale, of course, I think the more you spec on it the better it will be at resale! 

Not exactly earth shattering, but sometimes small things matter. 

Just sorting out the odds and sods with the dealer, mainly asthetics, when I get told the following....

a) The Edges of the Carbon Fibre Spolier are NO LONGER carbon Fibre.

b) Supercharger comes in natural finish, i.e. not painted. If anyone has seen one of these Superchargers that has had water all over it you will obviously have noted how $ hit it looks. Kind of goes powdery.

c) No engine covers, unlike my old V6S. But I can order these as parts, but the brackets are on backorder.

Is this penny pinching or what. On what I would call an expensive car this really is pants. Mind you, as I said, its only aesthetics, but still....

cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, I couldn't comment on the carbon but wouldn't think that part would be like that for cutting costs. From what I have heard the quality of the carbon is first rate as it should be.  The other bits you mention are purely for cost cutting as you mention, quite painful when considering the price you are paying but that is where Lotus are right now. Is it the right approach and direction is up for debate but it is only you who can decide. I don't think these small points will bother you much or for long after you lift the garage door. You can always upgrade these parts as you go along. 

Do you mean the wing end plates? If so that might actually look quite cool. I'd need to see a picture. Yes, definitely prefer a black supercharger. Constantly changing specs seems a bit disorganised. I imagine you could get one painted up black fairly easily?

However, I think JMG is in danger of going too far with cost cutting now. It's one thing if the prices were going down but when they're going up.... :no  

They're making great new products and attracting people who are new to Lotus and this is where they need to deliver. As everyone else makes their cars more complicated and less communicative, this is a real opportunity for Lotus. Enough cost cutting now, seriously. Push quality and lightweight like never before and reap the rewards down the line. How do you say pleeeeease in Luxembourgish?

Looks like I got in before the change as my end plates are carbon. But then if, like me, you intend sticking the union decals on them it makes little difference. Maybe they thought it would make the Matt black plaggy canards look better? :)

Yes I think it probably would. They're a bit lonely as the only matt black things on the car!

So I wanted the Spoiler Union Jacks silmilar to the 380 Race, i.e. So you can see the carbon. However, the tips now look like the style on the blue car. Just terrible from a quality point of view. As Mr Pits points out, Lotus should be moving upmarket, not penny pinching. Open the lovely carbon fibre rear panel and see a bunch of wires and a powdery aluminium supercharger body. I am led to believe the supercharger are now delivered like this from the supplier.

i have ordered a top spec car, expecting the aesthetics to look right, but they don't. I was tempted by the carbon fibre sills, as the slip in/out appealed to me as I have a small garage. However, as was pointed out, the gap between the door panel just shows swathes of paint. And in an 80k car this is just not on.

have a look at the attached pictures of the spoiler and you will see what I mean. (Accepted the 380R spoiler is a different design)

cheers

Mark

image001.png

20170411_163431_resized.jpg

Lotus has gone too far squeezing profit from the 380. Folks who buy these expensive cars notice the incongruity of cheap plastic when they have been sold carbon fibre. 

I see what you mean Mark. The 380R decals are nice. Not sure they'll do them for the 380 though?  And it's a bit odd to see gloss black wing end plates. That's yet another finish to clash with all the others! Not good. 

I was going to get them made, a bit pointless now ?

Never mind, still looking forward to the cat ???

I don't mind the black wing endplates. Hopefully there's more to the story than just mid-guided penny pinching. For instance maybe it's intended to further differentiate the carbon pack? That would make some kind of sense if you got carbon end plates with the full carbon pack, black ones without. Here's hoping.

Keeping up with new models is one thing, keeping up with Lotus's spec changes and price lists is another matter!

:blink:

• Like 2