free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 41 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TLF News

Lotus Exige Sport 380

Worst case, if they are a fixed item, the PPF  could be easily cut and worked around. Nothing to worry about.

Edited by cbaileyuk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks like those below. Will call them - suppose they are not heavier than stock forged???

IMG_1340.PNG

I am keen to find some evidence to support my view that the 380 is faster than the 350 cars. Of course it would be great if Lotus could supply some comparison data or a car magazine to organize a track comparison. I'm still waiting for Sport 380 vs Cayman GT4. I'd like to organize one myself for TLF but that relies very heavily on the generosity of an owner or dealer.

For what it's worth I think it's more that the 350 is a strong package. I've written many times on here that I believe the 350 cars offer the best value, that's still the case. The 350 spec cars at Brands Hatch last week were all very fast and compared well to the other cars on track. They always do.

Until then, the best evidence I can find are these top speed videos. Not concrete proof by any means, different weather conditions, air pressure, the list goes on. But a decent indication broadly inline with expectations. The cars have different aero packages but we have to go with Lotus's claim that drag has not been increased on the 380. The 380 has a small torque increase but a significant power increase so top speed is where it should tell.

Both cars claim to reach 275km/h, OMG it's all true, just marketing, total rip off!!! But look closer and you'll see that the 350 car doesn't actually hit 275kmh and that's on the speedo. The 380's 275kmh is GPS verified. It also looks a lot more stable than I think my car ever would at that speed!

Then look at the rpm being pulled. The 350 car can't quite pull 6,000rpm on this run. The 380 pulls clearly past 6000rpm in top, almost to 6500rpm. You can't do that unless you have more power. We can't see the 380's speedo but with the same gearing it must have been showing over 275kmh on the speedo. If anyone here has gone faster than 270kmh in a 350 then that would be good to know. I've never been over 240kmh in my car. I know, may as well have got a Roadster! ;)

Maybe @Jokke Vlo we could find a means to compare our cars straight line performance. How about a video (just of the clocks) of our cars accelerating from 2000rpm in 2nd to the top of 4th gear? I'll do the same in mine, we can compare back here.

I have gone speedo 285 km/h in my V6S prior to doing any upgrades ... If I look at my usal difference between speedo and GPS data, this would be roughly 275/278 GPS.

The EX460 can make it to roughly 300 km/h GPS ...

I'll film two runs, rolling start 2nd gear 2000rpm through to the limiter in 4th.

First run will be tour mode which has 6800rpm rpm cut.

2nd run will be in sport at 7200rpm.

If any Sport 380 owner can do the same we'll hopefully get a reasonable comparison between the two.

Yes my car is a V6 Cup, so if any standard V6S owners want to have a go too, they would be welcome. But if the Sport 380 can beat a '350' Cup in a straight line then that's a good start.

We will see! 

Back to the 380: do we now have any 100-200 kmh times? The test result was not good and way slower than my V6 CR was ... they write about it hitting a wall?!?

Looking at old videos my V6 CR bone stock was 10-11s from 100-200 kmh ... 

What could that be? Tour mode?!?

Anyway overall the article is great PR for Lotus ... the true sports car ??

On 2017-5-13 at 12:32, The Pits said:

I'll film two runs, rolling start 2nd gear 2000rpm through to the limiter in 4th.

First run will be tour mode which has 6800rpm rpm cut.

2nd run will be in sport at 7200rpm.

If any Sport 380 owner can do the same we'll hopefully get a reasonable comparison between the two.

Yes my car is a V6 Cup, so if any standard V6S owners want to have a go too, they would be welcome. But if the Sport 380 can beat a '350' Cup in a straight line then that's a good start.

We will see! 

If I find some time and a good place, I will do. But I have to hurry. 

For me the decision has been taken: I go to Komotec. 

• Like 1

Jokke,

Seems a shame on a new car just out of the box. I thought I would just do the same to my V6 S, but decided against it.So, which one, 430 or 460?

cheers

Mark

Great, Jokke ! hope it will renew your love affair with the Exige ... are you going the EX460 route ? 

PS: regarding the "debate" ... I'm a serial Porsche owner, and have a lot of Porsche fans in my friends. As a classic car fan too, I cannot but agree the 912 I own is flawless, so much more reliable than my previous Elan, and it is so modern compared to most of classic british cars (I owned few : TR3A, MGBGT, TVR Vixen, etc), but each was fun to drive !

I also appreciate modern Porsches, but none of them I've tried has given the feeling the Elise/Exige/Evora range gave to me ! I don't care about 1/10th of sec, I just want to feel each gravel on the road, be breathless by fighting with the car on winding roads and making one with the car, and no other car 'til then makes it better than the Exige ! I do think that TLF community is rather open minded and ready to discuss, as soon as debaters are respectful and factual ...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jokke Vlo said:

If I find some time and a good place, I will do. But I have to hurry. 

For me the decision has been taken: I go to Komotec. 

OK, film whatever you can while it's stock with a clear view of the clocks, if Norbert wants 100-200kmh then lets try for that too. I will then do something comparable. No worries otherwise, we'll find another 380.

20 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Interesting to read that translated report, re "hitting a wall".

Isn't this what I am saying from day 1? I have driven

- Standard V6

- EX-430

and now 380

Also on DATA from track use, the 380 isn't much faster as a V6. I already explained why several times here. It seems others start to see this finally. Lotus did just something stupid. They lowered the max rpm (bad thing) to and put ( good thing) extra cooling on the gearbox cover against claims.

Antoine is not saying stupid things, I find. Owning and racing Porsches I LOVE to drive a Lotus, more as a Porsche. BUT the Porsche is indeed mostly the better car. Me too I have the feeling Lotus is not really developing enough with passion for driving anymore. Of course no or less warranty and a better financial balance at the end of the year are much more important, I  understand that. You can be critical on you favorite brand because out of passion, that we have to understand too. . 

On the other side: it is the first time I have bought a Lotus (4th Lotus) where the car doesn't do what it promised.

@ThePits I know you say the 375hp is there and the car in the test hits the 6800 rpm good. But for my feel you forget something (I think on this point we don't understand each other good?). It is simply NOT possible to hit the 6800 point on track without loosing time. I try to explain.....

Or you hit the 6800rpm and so the maximum horsepower and then the cut off comes in and let you loose time and momentum.

Or you shift at +/-6500/6600 and you have ??? (I guess 345/350) hp?

If you have a cut off at 7100/7200 you won't run to the cut off zone (as you loose time) but you will shift around 6800 the point where you have the promised power.

I perfectly understand that "hitting a wall" as I feel EXACTELY the same. And I can also say  I don't feel much difference with a V6 when driving 100-200km/u zone. The car has more NM in lower zone, but not more HP in higher zone. That is my experience.

I will try to have a testbank run asap. Sorry I had to come back to this issue, but it seems legit regarding the test experience. 

I would not be surprised Lotus will come with other Exiges taking away this "mistake". A pity for people spending +100.000 euro on a car. 

Regarding road use the difference is bigger as with the better NM in lower rpm and the better nose it is much more "fun" to drive as the Exiges before. On a road test the 380 could be very convincing and gives you a big smile. Track use however.....

Moreover I own a 991 GTS (atmo), this car doesn't hit the wall, the engine feels just superfine at higher revs and on the last 500rpm it gives you all his power in all his glory :) 

On a roadtrip or even track it doesn't give the sensation and feedback of a Lotus. Even not close. But then again I come to my point that the engine "tuning" at Hethel seems to be done by bookkeepers instead of engineers. 

Last but not least: the Exiges misses an LSD. Putting it aftermarket you have to gamble. If Lotus would have one really made for the Exige this would definetly a big + for the car and adding extra driving pleasure. 

Edited by Jokke Vlo
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mark030358 said:

Jokke,

Seems a shame on a new car just out of the box. I thought I would just do the same to my V6 S, but decided against it.So, which one, 430 or 460?

cheers

Mark

Still considering but as I think today:

I want steady HP, it is not the 460hp that is of importance, but the charge coolers ! With komotec this means you always have the 460 if you go for the charge cooler.

When my clutch and/or syncros has to be renewed (somewhere between 20.000-30.000 km) I would THEN add an lsd and short gear ratio.

But I try to study carefully before going for this expensive adventure. I repeat: I am happy about the car except: engine tuning, lack of a good LSD. I am affraid for the LSD as in my previous one it killed the road pleasure (to much track focussed). 

Another way to go: keep the 380 standard and go for a GT4RS . But I know I would miss the driving pleasure of my Lotus at that point. On the other hand: you have a good engine and LSD :D

Honestly: these are my thoughts.  

Edited by Jokke Vlo

Sport Auto had no problem revving to 6800rpm on track in that video.

Your description of more low end power and the same at high rpm is absolutely not my experience in the car. Yes I wish it revved higher too, especially because it was so fast into the cut-out the car was pulling so hard at that point, it felt like it could (and should) be running to 7,500. No 'hitting a wall' whatsoever. You also managed to match your EX430 time around Spa so I'm not sure that's possible just because of slightly wider front tyres and better aero.

I have offered the chance to compare our cars, let's do that instead of the inflammatory stuff about Lotus. I wish you were happier with the car as a lot of people have a lot of respect for your opinion but I hope they can separate the facts from the emotion. I think the truth is, it is faster than the 350 but not as much as you were expecting. Your expectations are a factor here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jokke Vlo said:

Antoine is not saying stupid things, I find.

Well thank you..... you might well be the only one thinking so here :driving:

2 hours ago, Swiss360Cup said:

Well thank you..... you might well be the only one thinking so here :driving:

Nope you're not on your own... I agree with a number of your comments.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

1 minute ago, alias23 said:

Nope you're not on your own... I agree with a number of your comments.

Well thanks to you too......sometimes I cannot understand the reactions...... I AM A CUSTOMER, and I intend to remain one, so I can't take it that the very people who provide me with the product simply dismiss my comments or criticism like I was a 12 year old... anyway..... thanks for the support........

• Like 1

I don't think that anybody is saying you shouldn't express your view or even that they disagree with your view.  You are simply being asked to post this view elsewhere.  This topic is about the Lotus Exige Sport 380 not its relative merits or otherwise vs Porsche.  Personally, I think the Sport 380 is a great car and I'd choose it over the Sport 350 any day of the week.  Having said that I haven't driven either on track and the one criticism I would have of the Sport 380 is that it's too loud to make it onto most track days, which is a shame (although apparently that's mostly solvable now).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J-P said:

I don't think that anybody is saying you shouldn't express your view or even that they disagree with your view.  You are simply being asked to post this view elsewhere.  This topic is about the Lotus Exige Sport 380 not its relative merits or otherwise vs Porsche.  Personally, I think the Sport 380 is a great car and I'd choose it over the Sport 350 any day of the week.  Having said that I haven't driven either on track and the one criticism I would have of the Sport 380 is that it's too loud to make it onto most track days, which is a shame (although apparently that's mostly solvable now).

That I understand but sorry the video was posted in the wrong topic to start with...... but let's not start again, otherwise I might get locked up and kicked at Hethel in a couple of days......

Getting back to the subject....it seems there's a lot of doubts about this 380....is it a marketing product or a real improvement ???? Companies are good at doing a few changes and hiking the prices more than proportionately...so far apparently there's no clear evidence or answer... Personally I like the looks very much, rear wing, front canards, side sills, etc. etc. .... But this would look good on the 350 too.... regarding the 30 HP...... well I'm not sure..... ask komo-tec what difference that makes between the original 350 and first stage 390..probably not much... My guess is that on such cars it's far better and rewarding to work on the suspension and suspension settings than the power output... I've learned that in the past with several cars from another well known brand, the name I'm forbidden to mention here....you know......