free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 48 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

The 380 has a larger 48 litre fuel tank. Presumably the same applies to the 380 Cup.

As one of the few to spec the Ti exhaust would you say it's worth it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally arrived at the dealer. Now waiting for pick up on 26/3 (business trip  ) Union Jack needs still to be placed as well as alcantara steering wheel and titanium exhaust. This is sent seperat

Well, almost there. No delivery date but I have to say this is looking like the dogs wotsits... Not sure what the net thing is in the boot? haven't/don't recall seeing that before.. And I ev

Ok here are my thoughts...please excuse writing style /ramblings.  I'd turned into a stuttering idiot by the time I'd got out of the car    Lotus Exige Sport 380   As I'm

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Cristiano said:

Good to know! I start to see videos of this car in Hockenheim, Spa, and others. Maybe is just a bit below the limits, which is sufficient enough. In the worse case scenario, Komotec told me they make a sport silencer to reduce the noise a bit.

@Jokke, I have another question for you: a part from the aero pack, do you think your 380 Sport lack anything with respect to a Cup version? I mean, engine, camber, gearbox..

Those 60 kg of downforce for sure are appealing although I don't think they make a huge difference.

Buy a 350 and go to Komotec for an "easy" upgrade. LSD (not to much track settings) + EX460 + suspenson. Cheaper and better !

They can do some aero stuff too.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Jokke Vlo said:

Buy a 350 and go to Komotec for an "easy" upgrade. LSD (not to much track settings) + EX460 + suspenson. Cheaper and better !

They can do some aero stuff too.

@Jokke Vlo That sounds like a seriously disappointed owner. Hope I don't feel the same after running the car in, although I'm not a track focused owner.

3 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

I make that 73 miles to a full tank which apparently is a 40 litre capacity! Really!!!??:o 

Tracking is clearly expensive!

Edit : it gets worse.......apparently the 380 has a 48 litre tank!:lol:

Well I have been WITHOUT fuel two times. One time on track, one time just when coming off. I don't know why but  I only was able to fill, both times, 40 liters ! 

Also normally the indicator for fuel starts to blink when nearly empty. Well..... it doesn't when you are driving fast on track. My dealer told me I am not the only one telling this. 

10 minutes ago, Jokke Vlo said:

Last weekend I went on "testing" straight lines against an M4 CABRIO. In not ONE moment the Exige 380 could keep up with the BMW. 

@Jokke Vlo

Well, having read what you wrote, I looked up an Auto Express road test for the GTS version (copied below). So I can conclude one of two things....

(1) The performance claims are entirely fictitious, or (2) You have a problem with your car. As you say, the car "HAS" to be able to keep up.

I've not run my 380 to the full yet, but for sure it feels quicker than my V6S was.

cheers

Mark

Copyright Auto Express below....

Buyers wanting to go faster can choose the Competition Pack version, which adds 19bhp and shaves a tenth of a second off the 0-62mph time for both manual and DCT gearbox equipped models. You can also pay extra to have the electronic speed limiter’s threshold raised to a hairy 170mph. Ultimate thrill seekers should opt for the (now sold out) GTS model, which upps power to 493bhp and reduces the 0-62mph sprint to just 3.8 seconds. It'll cost you, though, as the M4 GTS is more than twice the price of a standard M4.

It was on the highway, not from 0-100.....

Check this

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel6518-6388.htm

Imagine you go from 80-180 instead 80-120, gap is huge.... by my experience. 

As soon as you have to change gear you are done and the problem is here the three shift lights which are on well BEFORE you reach maximum power (6600 rpm). The "top" of the car lies ON the cut off (6800), you have to be hyper hyper concentrated to get the figures out of the engine. Put the limiter at 7200 rpm, shift at 6800 (which is then easy) and you will win quiet a lot.....................

Yes it is a bit faster as a standard V6, but not a lot, as there you can rev higher which compensates ! It is rather the NM on lower revs that make the difference. Feels like driving a powerful diesel ;)

Edited by Jokke Vlo
19 minutes ago, Jokke Vlo said:

It was on the highway, not form 0-100.....

Check this

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel6518-6388.htm

Imagine you go from 80-180 instead 80-120, gap is huge.... by my experience. 

I have an M4 Comp with AC4S tuning (>510 bhp) as my daily ... the EX460 can outpace it on a straight line from 100-200 which most other cars (incl the likes of an RS6 or whatever) cant (both cars are sub 8s cars) ... the 380 or a Stanard V6 wouldnt have a chance ... I have not had a single second of regret after doing the EX460 Upgrade ... makes an already special car more special. No need to even think for a second of a 380 ...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

I make that 73 miles to a full tank which apparently is a 40 litre capacity! Really!!!??

I've pretty much always had about 70 miles from a 2.0T car with similar power on trackdays - it does burn a lot of fuel to drive it really actively. :-)

• Like 1

@NW76

How many miles do you have on your EX460 upgrade? I know you do a fair few track days but you said above the Exige it not your daily driver. I just wonder about the gearbox being able to hold up for say 30,000 miles or so.

Do you know anyone who has a "significant" number of miles on a car with the Ex460 upgrade?

thanks

Mark

Yep - Daniel probably has the most miles on an EX460 .... I am running towards 4000 km after the upgrade ... a lot of it is track. 

I am not concered about the engine at all ... the gearbox is the weak part. I think Daniel is on his second gearbox. With the cooler it has significantly improved but I have no clue how long it will last. If it goes anyway (which it shows no sign of right now) its a good chance to upgrade ?... 

I would strongly recommend the gearbox oil cooler and a regular gearbox oil change to anyone doing trackdays in an performance improved V6. 

@Jokke Vlo great!!! 

Will be highly interesting to see your laptime improvements afterwards ... mine are significant but as I am still learning, its hard to differentiate how much came from the pure upgrade and how much from my driving ability improvements ...

36 minutes ago, NW76 said:

Yep - Daniel probably has the most miles on an EX460 .... I am running towards 4000 km after the upgrade ... a lot of it is track. 

I am not concered about the engine at all ... the gearbox is the weak part. I think Daniel is on his second gearbox. With the cooler it has significantly improved but I have no clue how long it will last. If it goes anyway (which it shows no sign of right now) its a good chance to upgrade ?... 

I would strongly recommend the gearbox oil cooler and a regular gearbox oil change to anyone doing trackdays in an performance improved V6. 

Tend to agree with this - the kit is very strong, with the chargecooler keeping the inlet temps down looks after the engine.  We have done some mods to the gearbox internals for Daniel which will help, along with the suggestion above of gearbox cooler and regular maintenance.

We have a customer who is doing some fairly serious track mileage with his EX460, and have not had a single problem to date :) Also quite a few out there just road cars, where the mechanical stresses are reduced.

Dave

Edited by Hangar 111
  • Like 1

Most of the figures came from testing in real (otherwise they mark it with  a comment where they say factory claim).

I am not surprised about this measures. Don't forget that depending weather and (intake) temperature the Exige can give quiet different results ! So this can clarify the differences.

On the other side...... it is a bit my feeling (as told serveral times) that in the end the Exige 380 is not really much faster (on straights) as the V6....... and the reason why I explained already a lot of times. 

Not many believe me, but the few testing results, until today, are not of this kind they say my feeling is wrong.

I can tell another small story. A Lotus guy, known Lotus cup racer too.....drove my car. His comment was similar to mine.  I sound a little negative I know but pls note it is still a very nice car but not necessary (much) better as the V6 on the engine side. There marketing seems stronger as performance. 

Moreover I prefer the 7200 rpm engine of 345hp above this 6800 rpm 375hp. 

Edited by Jokke Vlo
17 hours ago, Jokke Vlo said:

Most of the figures ... 

@Jokke Vlo

Can you comment a bit on the brakes setup. It looks very good (disks & calipers), and I wanted to know:

1) Do the disks get enough airflow or do you think air ducts are needed?

2) Did you changed the pads for track use?

33 minutes ago, Jokke Vlo said:

1. Brakes are VERY good, not any problem

2. Hahahah yes, on my first trackday I had to stop the trackday because in only some stints the pads where gone . I use Pagids, best choice imo. 

Excellent! This is one of my main concern when I buy a new car.. 

I suppose you are using the yellow pagid compound. I think it is very good. I  also heard good things about the Endless pads (pricy, but long last). 

Edited by Cristiano

Before I picked up my 380, I was told that there might be a "pumping noise" which may appear to come from the front lower drivers side of the car. Also all of the 380's in the showroom exhibit this noise. TBH I thought this was spot on from the dealer to be up front as he knows I'm a picky [email protected]

Anyway, mine didn't have the noise until I'd done say 25 miles, but now it does have it. The noise lasts about 5 minutes from start up, then all goes quiet, and for sure it is like a fluid pumping noise.  Just wondering what it is.... any ideas, anybody else have this?

cheers

Mark

My 350 does that. First noticed it after the running in service.

I had Stratton go over it for about an hour trying to track it down. They couldn't pinpoint it, but think it's noise transferring down the water/oil cooler pipes in the sill. 

They and Lotus have offered to do a deeper dive on it next time I'm over there, but at the moment it's not a major bother.

Exactly as you say, it only does it for a few minutes in the warm up phase. Not at full cold, not at full warm.

The suspicion (unconfirmed at the time) was that it may be due to removal of some of the NVH measures in the sill. I was wondering about running my snake camera down there, via the inspection hole near the front wheel.

If I get any more info I'll let you know. Same if I work out/get a fix.

• Like 1