free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 6 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

4 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Lotus has decided to be proactive about their online presence which is a good thing, considering they can't provide journos with enough incentive to get as much coverage as their competition. In a way it is a good thing, Their PR person is dedicated and showing a lot of creativity and on a shoestring budget too.

Still one thing that would should be on DRB-Hicom high priority is too put on display a brand they are trying to sell, don't you think? Organizing a press launch in a "nicer climate" place at this time of the year would/should make financial and strategic sense. They should have done it for the Evora Sport 410 too. I'm still questioning the point of launching this car now Geneva is almost here already...    

I think catering for the needs of Pistonhead TV, Carfection, Evo's Youtube channel, or Steve Sutcliffe's AutoExpress or God forbid, Chris Harris on cars for Top Gear would serve the brand better in my opinion. 

Compare it to the efforts they once took to place the Esprit with 007.

@The Pits, thx for the red. I first saw the Flame Red on a Renault in Southern France and was stunned by the reflections in the sun. 

My wife loves this image. I think Simon's Cat would equally suit a Lotus.  

FB_IMG_1480019454861.jpg

• Like 2

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally arrived at the dealer. Now waiting for pick up on 26/3 (business trip  ) Union Jack needs still to be placed as well as alcantara steering wheel and titanium exhaust. This is sent seperat

Well, almost there. No delivery date but I have to say this is looking like the dogs wotsits... Not sure what the net thing is in the boot? haven't/don't recall seeing that before.. And I ev

Ok here are my thoughts...please excuse writing style /ramblings.  I'd turned into a stuttering idiot by the time I'd got out of the car    Lotus Exige Sport 380   As I'm

Posted Images

My other half adores Simon's Cat, @TBD. We saw that refuel motif on a car at our last Nordschliefe trackday and she's been trying to track one down for her Evo ever since!

11 hours ago, MesTCS said:

All that said, if the car was presented in a much more acceptable colour scheme, shot properly in a studio by a competent photographer, had a Cup R style rear wing and came with Ohlins and a baffled sump... this would all have looked SO much better and I've had been all over it like a freaking flannel.

Pretty much how I feel now we've had a chance to let the dust settle.

If the Sport 380 had come with the CupR/311 rear wing, same rear lights and rear panel as before, option for Ohlins, airbag delete, harnesses and a baffled sump I would, in all probability, be putting an order in.

So yes, that rear wing, even though I love it on the Elise 250 Cup, is largely to blame. Do you think that the Lotus bespoke service could stretch to a CupR wing?!

The trouble with this is, what is the chargecooled car going to cost by the time they get round to it? :blink:

Just had a read at lotuscars.com.

The red accents that no-one likes (although I personally do) is an extra cost option so half the internet can just get over it right away! Total waste of pixels moaning about that!

Then I saw this:

CARBON EXTERIOR PACK OPTION
Carbon fibre hard-top and louvered tailgate, carbon fibre effect side pods Option

Carbon fibre EFFECT side pods. :shock: Jesus wept they really have been to Halfords!!!

Who in the name of God saw fit to desecrate this car with this obnoxious, idiotic substance? And then expect someone to PAY money for it! No car needs it. Real plastic is infinitely preferable to fake carbon. I am neurologically unable to go near a Focus RS due to it's carbon effect trim.

A REAL sports car with lots of REAL carbon does not need CARBON EFFING EFFECT anything!

You can get real carbon side pods anyway, what the hell are they playing at! :rant:

I'll have a look at that in the morning for you Phil, too upset tonight! ;)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, TBD said:

Compare it to the efforts they once took to place the Esprit with 007.

These were the glory days, back then the company was rolling in it .They were at the top of the game, the Engineering division was crushing it, Team Lotus was the ultimate top team. Also remember that it was a troubled period for the 007 productions.. And barely 3 years after the company was in hot waters... 

I don't think the company needs to "product place" the cars in movies. I think they need to make sure they are seen and followed in social media ( instagram, youtube, facebook...)  and "old world" media. They need to convince DRB-Hicom to at least provide them the means to do that with a certain quality to it.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, The Pits said:

The red accents that no-one likes (although I personally do) is an extra cost option so half the internet can just get over it right away! Total waste of pixels moaning about that!

I told you :blush: ... regarding fake carbon, you're damn right :angry: ! same opinion for the fragile rear wing ... is there any info about the downforce it generates with its complicated curves compared to the Cup R style one ?

the more I look at the 380, the more I like it, and I suppose the steep price is quite logical, if adding the whole cost of upgrades ! and, like Jokke , I think the dramatic downforce improvement is the best part of the 380, as other contenders are now offering a lot of downforce effect (passive or active) and it should help for the Exige understeer behaviour ... By the way, I found that understeer was almost unnoticeable on the poor Hethel video ! track lap time will tell ...

• Like 1
On 24/11/2016 at 10:01, JayEmm said:

I can't help but wonder if the mess would have been cleared up by not using the word "Sport" so liberally.

in this article about the Evora Sport 410 (http://moneyweek.com/lotus-evora-sport-410/) the journalist sums it well : 

This is the Lotus Evora Sport 410 – the “Sport” being to Lotus what “GT3” is to Porsche or “Speciale” is to Ferrari, says James Taylor in Car magazine. In other words, it is a specially souped-up version of the standard model, designed to be “predictably brilliant” to drive, if uncompromising in terms of everyday usability.

if it is obvious for journos & made for the Evora, why would it be different for the Exige :popo: ?  maybe because Sport is already in its DNA :sofa: ...

Edited by French Frie
1 hour ago, French Frie said:

I told you :blush: ... regarding fake carbon, you're damn right :angry: ! same opinion for the fragile rear wing ... is there any info about the downforce it generates with its complicated curves compared to the Cup R style one ?

the more I look at the 380, the more I like it, and I suppose the steep price is quite logical, if adding the whole cost of upgrades ! and, like Jokke , I think the dramatic downforce improvement is the best part of the 380, as other contenders are now offering a lot of downforce effect (passive or active) and it should help for the Exige understeer behaviour ... By the way, I found that understeer was almost unnoticeable on the poor Hethel video ! track lap time will tell ...

Yes I had the same idea. I had the impression the nose was much sharper. I am also curious to know laptimes.....

Edited by Jokke Vlo
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, The Pits said:

Carbon fibre EFFECT side pods. :shock: Jesus wept they really have been to Halfords!!!

You have GOT to be kidding??? Pay extra for a carbon pack and some of it is fake???!!!

Utterly gobsmacked by this. 

11 hours ago, The Pits said:

So yes, that rear wing, even though I love it on the Elise 250 Cup, is largely to blame. Do you think that the Lotus bespoke service could stretch to a CupR wing?!

Smacks of cost cutting and using up Elise Cup parts to me. I too think that wing looks absolutely stunning on the Elise but on the Exige, it clearly doesn't sit right at all. 

What's wrong with the Cup R style wing? Surely if this sculpted style wing was the right way to go we'd be seeing in on the Porsche Supercup or Blancpain series cars?

As for the excuse that it's not road legal... Radical seem to have no trouble with it...

ARGH!

On 2016-11-24 at 00:12, JayEmm said:

Different cars aimed at different markets. Problem is they are far too close in price now in my opinion. The Evora needs to have some distance between it and the Exige if it is going to be a proper flagship

To me, the Exige and the Evora are targeting totally different segments and there is no need at all to try to make the Evora "the flagship" in the same stupid way Porsche are doing it with the Cayman and 911. 

• Like 1

311 seems to get away with the big wing on the road too.

At least the video puts to bed this nonsense that you can't heel and toe in the new cars. Looks like the story of the Cup 360 is yet more misinformation. It's more likely that the owner can't h&t and is blaming it on the car!

Also looks like catastrophic understeer to me at -30 seconds!

It just shows you any car can be made to understeer if the driver intentionally (or unwittingly) provokes it.

This Porsche approach to making money is sadly so successful that it's infecting the whole car industry! I loved the way Lotus didn't try to 'protect' the Evora and put the full 345bhp S engine straight into the Exige. No -10bhp crap, full power engine. No messing about. For every Evora sale they lost they gained 3 Exige sales because the car started life as such a strong package. No sand bagging! How long did it take Porsche to put a 911 engine in a Cayman?! And they just had to take 25bhp away didn't they! Result: massive waiting lists and people paying premiums. Car buyers aren't doing much to dissuade Porsche from doing this sort of stuff are they?!

Is the S380 sand bagging? I don't think so. I think they prioritized lightweight over a power increase and then gave it 30bhp more. That should definitely be noticeable in a way that never was with the Cup 360. Will there ever be a chargecooled Exige? It's far from certain. While they are having to restrict torque would there really be much point? The Evora 410 only has 10 more Nm of torque than the S380. The extra urge above 5k would be nice, it's another 35bhp all delivered high in the rev range and you'll feel that more in a car weighing 1110kg but I'm not sure that it's worth putting back another 40kg into the car for the sake of 10Nm of torque. 

@kokostrollet I always try and bear in mind the "non-Lotus" enthusiast, remembering my own lack of knowledge from not too long ago. Lotus is very bad at making clear just how different the Evora is from the Elise/Exige

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

55 minutes ago, The Pits said:

That's provoked oversteer no? 

If I want to drift I do exactely the same with gearbox and steering wheel......

Not a bad color choice this one: 

potmsept2138x1536.png

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

311 seems to get away with the big wing on the road too.

At least the video puts to bed this nonsense that you can't heel and toe in the new cars. Looks like the story of the Cup 360 is yet more misinformation. It's more likely that the owner can't h&t and is blaming it on the car!

It just shows you any car can be made to understeer if the driver intentionally (or unwittingly) provokes it.

This Porsche approach to making money is sadly so successful that it's infecting the whole car industry! I loved the way Lotus didn't try to 'protect' the Evora and put the full 345bhp S engine straight into the Exige. No -10bhp crap, full power engine. No messing about. For every Evora sale they lost they gained 3 Exige sales because the car started life as such a strong package. No sand bagging! How long did it take Porsche to put a 911 engine in a Cayman?! And they just had to take 25bhp away didn't they! Result: massive waiting lists and people paying premiums. Car buyers aren't doing much to dissuade Porsche from doing this sort of stuff are they?!

Is the S380 sand bagging? I don't think so. I think they prioritized lightweight over a power increase and then gave it 30bhp more. That should definitely be noticeable in a way that never was with the Cup 360. Will there ever be a chargecooled Exige? It's far from certain. While they are having to restrict torque would there really be much point? The Evora 410 only has 10 more Nm of torque than the S380. The extra urge above 5k would be nice, it's another 35bhp all delivered high in the rev range and you'll feel that more in a car weighing 1110kg but I'm not sure that it's worth putting back another 40kg into the car for the sake of 10Nm of torque. 

How did I forget the 311 wing? That makes it even sillier! If the Elise shaped wing was better, surely it would have been on the best performing model?

And yeah, I meant to mention that there seems to be no trouble with H&T in the video. However, I did read somewhere that someone actually from Lotus has confirmed that the new cars do indeed have a map to stop both pedals being "on" at the same time. Seems that you need to do it in the correct order or the system restricts the throttle. All because of American legislation. If that is indeed the case, why not have two maps, one for America, one for the rest of the world? The map without the restrictions exists already, what's the problem? Don't see why we should have such a restrictive set up just because another country wants it. If they go ahead with that, it's even worse than fake carbon... maybe!

:D

As for the future, rather than chasing more power, I'd rather a halo model like the 380 had an enhanced suspension set up as standard rather than another 20hp. But I guess that doesn't grab the headlines. Until someone drives it of course!

Very much looking forward to hearing about how this new car drives. With the extra aero and hopefully not running out of puff a bit at the top end, it should be quite the thing. 

• Like 1

Problem with twin element wings is that you'll struggle to balance the front aero without increasing the size of the front splitter on these cars. I run one on my track exige but it's set no where near it's maximum AoA. I have it set so I generates about the same amount of downforce as the single wing will generate but the main element et is set in a negative position rather than positive and the second element is set less than half of it max AoA. 

Result is it feels the same balance as the single element with the high angle of attack but theorically it should not be generating as much drag with the positions I have them set to...

Edited by TheKevlarKid
  • Like 1
31 minutes ago, Jokke Vlo said:

That's provoked oversteer no? 

Jokke it's a right hand corner and his hands are hard over to the right, lots of steering angle applied. There's a quick correction on corner entry but otherwise it's all to the right.

I don't mean to argue, especially with someone as experienced as you but I don't want people here thinking I'm talking crap!

I'm really glad you like it and hope you get one! Should be really interesting to compare laptime with your car which has been setting some really fast times already.