free hit
counters
Lotus Exige Sport 380 - Page 9 - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Exige Sport 380

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally arrived at the dealer. Now waiting for pick up on 26/3 (business trip  ) Union Jack needs still to be placed as well as alcantara steering wheel and titanium exhaust. This is sent seperat

Well, almost there. No delivery date but I have to say this is looking like the dogs wotsits... Not sure what the net thing is in the boot? haven't/don't recall seeing that before.. And I ev

Ok here are my thoughts...please excuse writing style /ramblings.  I'd turned into a stuttering idiot by the time I'd got out of the car    Lotus Exige Sport 380   As I'm

Posted Images

Yes anyone can fit an LSD. But who outside Lotus would you trust to be able to set it up and get it working properly? It's not a simple job plus then you have the issue of how it works with the car's electronics which act like a diff anyway. I would rather wait for Lotus to fit one if they feel it's necessary. Lots of moaning online about Lotus not fitting LSDs but McLaren don't use them either and they set pretty good laptimes last time I checked!

The install of the LSD is the main reason why we haven't got a lot of field tested feedback from other owners. Engine needs to be removed circa 30 hour labour in total. 

From those who have gone down this route the feedback has been generally positive, a number still confirming Sport and Touring continue to work but on occasions kicks in a little too eagerly. @Hangar 111 I believe have installed a few LSD's now in the V6 along with the uprated gear ratios. 

To remain balanced... I have heard one negative comment from @Jokke Vlo who I believe had commented on his LSD contributing to understeer. Hopefully he can be along shortly to comment further...

@Seriouslylotus do you know if the CupR has an additional fuel pump? Reason I ask being the CupR uses the uprated induction so wondering if they felt more fuel would be needed for this addition...

www.alias23.com

@alias23 do you really think a LSD would make the Exige much faster? I actually am positively surprised how well the electronic LSD works ... and have very few situations where I feel I really need a mechanical LSD ... I am with @The Pits and will probably leave my fingers of it ...

Would be great to have a 1:1 comparison though ...

The Caymans with LSD's were notoriously more understeery, it's not a win-win. There's a reason Lotus don't like them.

13 minutes ago, The Pits said:

The Caymans with LSD's were notoriously more understeery, it's not a win-win. There's a reason Lotus don't like them.

Agree - my Cayman is understeery on slow, tight bends.  It transitions nicely nicely though with the LSD.

The Quaife ATB was buttery smooth in our Caterham and doesn't induce much understeer in most scenios, unlike a two way plate type LSD. Since switching to the BMW diff, and the Titan plate type LSD that was the only option in that at the time, there is potential for more understeer. You do have to be quite brutish to cause it though.

I would expect that while a plate would be problematic for the DPM, the ATB would actually play well with it. After all, it is a more linear device than a plate diff, in some ways emulating a slightly grippier surface. It never really locks, and if you get a super low mu surface, or get air on one side it'll spin away like an open diff. This was one of the reasons that kerb riding racers sometimes take a dislike to it.

So, someone in addition to @Harry Zhao should totally get one installed, to give us more data points

With a black roof it is too much back body work over there. I'd prefer a coloured roof which lightens the appearance.

But beside this personal opinion, you Mes, did a real great job.

Edited by Freejack
  • Like 1

Think think think, that's what I am doing.

The price of this 380 is very high compared to the 350............ I seriously doubting to buy a 350, and change suspension, front/rear downforce, EX-430/460 WITH a charge cooler.

If I do this by komo tec there are some + and -

+ Charge coolers=steady HP, because one of the MAIN issues on an Exige is the influence of temperature, I go crazy about that

+ more power which seems safe

- (and a big - ) no warranty on motor from Lotus of course

- second hand value going down with this

One point stays open: what is the exact difference on the nose, front grip, because together with the heat soak problems this is the main negative point of the Exige. 

Regarding LSD: it is fast on fast corners but driving pleasure on normal roads, sharp slow corners is really bad :( at slow speed the understeer is crazy high. I don't find the LSD a good thing. 

• Like 2

I think the problem is Jokke you will want to modify the Sport 380 too. I think the car will be awesome as it is but I think you can't resist modifying! As with your black car you have transformed it from where it started, I'm sure you will do that again whatever car you buy, just trying to fix the things you don't like. If you get a Sport 380 it's better to try and enjoy it as standard. Must be good for going under 2.45 at Spa surely?

If you want to modify, the cheapest option is just to keep going with your car, that's what I'm considering also.

But what about the Exige Special Edition? - it's even lighter than the Sport 350, comes really well equipped for the price (carbon seats, lithium battery, forged wheels, two piece brakes, new gearchange) and you can then spend the saving from the Sport 380 on go faster parts. I think it's a great package for the Exige that everyone has forgotten about. If I was buying new I'd really be tempted by one. I also think it's (even) better looking than the Sport 380.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Jokke Vlo said:

Think think think, that's what I am doing.

The price of this 380 is very high compared to the 350............ I seriously doubting to buy a 350, and change suspension, front/rear downforce, EX-430/460 WITH a charge cooler.

If I do this by komo tec there are some + and -

+ Charge coolers=steady HP, because one of the MAIN issues on an Exige is the influence of temperature, I go crazy about that

+ more power which seems safe

- (and a big - ) no warranty on motor from Lotus of course

- second hand value going down with this

One point stays open: what is the exact difference on the nose, front grip, because together with the heat soak problems this is the main negative point of the Exige. 

Regarding LSD: it is fast on fast corners but driving pleasure on normal roads, sharp slow corners is really bad :( at slow speed the understeer is crazy high. I don't find the LSD a good thing. 

Jokke: also what I would do ... no question ... if I would have not already walked down that route ... by the way:

- which LSD did you go for? 

- re the front end grip ... I have to say with the Oehlins Track (almost 2 degree front camber) as well as the Trofeo R its much better, as soon as the tires are up to temperature... it might not be perfect but its a lot better ... 

• Like 1

I fully agree the big difference with Trofeo warmed up tyres ;) makes a huge difference.

LSD: http://www.jubu-performance.com/de/lotus/elise/mk3_toyota_2011/getriebe__differentiale-120

15 minutes ago, The Pits said:

I think the problem is Jokke you will want to modify the Sport 380 too. I think the car will be awesome as it is but I think you can't resist modifying! As with your black car you have transformed it from where it started, I'm sure you will do that again whatever car you buy, just trying to fix the things you don't like. If you get a Sport 380 it's better to try and enjoy it as standard. Must be good for going under 2.45 at Spa surely?

If you want to modify, the cheapest option is just to keep going with your car, that's what I'm considering also.

But what about the Exige Special Edition? - it's even lighter than the Sport 350, comes really well equipped for the price (carbon seats, lithium battery, forged wheels, two piece brakes, new gearchange) and you can then spend the saving from the Sport 380 on go faster parts. I think it's a great package for the Exige that everyone has forgotten about. If I was buying new I'd really be tempted by one. I also think it's (even) better looking than the Sport 380.

I agree with this ! 

Think think think :D