free hit
counters
engine change - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hi folks,my first topic! I live in Cyprus and have series 3 esprit fitted with Rover V8 engine,due to health reasons,mainly 40 years of paint spraying! i have problems with petrol fumes,i need to change my engine to diesel !!!,obviously turbo,i drive several turbo diesel vehicles here and they are plenty quick enough,fitting is no problem as can do myself,anybody have any thoughts?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Add to that, the Audi transaxle would mate to it straight up,and so sort the ratio challenge as well.

I think you'll have to consider the transaxle /final drive ratio. Even modern TDs don't give great power at high rev ranges, so replacing an engine that quite happily sits at 7k rpm, with one that will only happily sit at 5 1/2k rpm, would mean a reduction in top speed (in any given gear) of approx 20%.

If this were a front engined, rear wheel drive car then you'd be able to play with gearbox ratios and / or differential ratios, but I'm not sure that there will be any options available for the standard transaxle. You may have to swap to a different transaxle, one designed to work with a TD engine.

Plenty of decent Audi TDI engines out there to choose from, v6 tdi and the Audi v8 twin turbo looks an awesome engine but is bulky.

The very basic engine to fit would be Audi old audi 5 cylinder TDI engone,  its 2.5 litre but lacks decent bhp figures but can be fettled to give more if need be. 

Good reason for the 2.5 is its a strong engine, you can bolt a six speed box straight on and the engine is extremely basic in terms of electrics etc. Also very cheap in used units to buy when they come up on eBay.  You could fit a good complete install in for less than a 1000 euro ! 

Look forward to see what you choose

Regards danny

A

thanks to all for the info,had thought of Audi engine and box,not too much to be had over here though[ Cyprus],will look on ebay, iv'e had the car for about 15 years and due to my breathing problems with petrol is why i have to change the engine,as an aside i converted the inboard rear brakes to outboard using Mazda RX8 disc's and calipers a while ago,easy to do,great brakes and a handbrake that works!!!,next project as well as the engine is to convert front suspension complete to the later version

Edited by oxford

Seems a bit radical to change the engine to get rid of petrol fumes. When are you suffering from them? Is there nothing you can do to combat the problem? Obviously getting the wife to fill it up is one, but are you getting fumes in the cabin?

Margate Exotics.

hi,its not that easy!,been involved in bodywork and paint spraying for 40 odd years and now have breathing problems,petrol fume's effect me the most which is a pain in the ass,coupled with the heat over here makes life difficult,diesel doesn't hardly effect me,plus downsizing engine size will be cheaper car tax and insurance,

• 3 weeks later...

hi folks,thanks for replies re engine swap,looks like the Audi engine and box it is!,if i can find one here in Cyprus,will be coming to UK- Worcester early next year try and find one then unless anybody knows of one off hand,suppose i will sell my V8 engine and Citroen box which has served me well,any takers!!?,thanks again,must say what a fantastic Forum

Good choice Oxford,  the Audi set up will be nice.

You will have to post up your outboard brake I et up, I used Audi TT rear discs and callipers for my v8 s3 and designed the mounting brackets to fit well and look almost stock.

Will be interested to see what the Rx8 set up looks like. May be tempted for my project car as trying to make both cars a little different :)

A

Just looked on ebay AAT engine for sale,   400 sterling.  Comes complete with clutch,  and pretty much everything else.  

See if he will ship and try a cheeky offer you never know. !

Bhp low at 115 though, but a simple ecu chip will give you 135 plus ,  then look at bigger turbo and nozzles and your in the mid 200 figures.

Worth a punt as a good base unit, you can pick up 6 speed boxes for 200 sterling that will bolt straight on, just make sure you get the driveshafts in with the deal ! 

Regards Dan

A