free hit
counters
James Bond Esprit Turbo - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

James Bond Esprit Turbo

Lotusfab

The most plausible explanation was they had the white OPW 654W as a primary car with OPW667W as a spare. And copper NCL458V as primary with MPW71V as spare. 

The original plan would likely have been the white cars only, but when the producers didnt like the white in the snow, they had to quickly dig out a pair of cars so rather than "waste" new ones they resprayed the two very early dev cars. 

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
8 minutes ago, Sweatow said:

Mike

As I own a copper one I did as much research as I could on the film and this is where I got my information from  https://www.juliensauctions.com/press/2006/james-bond.html 

Auction listings should treated with scepticism though. I have lost count of the number of F308s which were allegedly "The actual car driven by Magnum PI from the show" according to sales blurb!

1 minute ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

Sounds spot on, where did OPW 667W come from? Is that a known car?

Yes OPW 654W was used in many Lotus brochures and press shots and 667W was used in magazine road tests including the duel test in CAR with the Ferrari 308.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Steve, I am loving doing this research, I really want the story behind the car and hopefully a few of them will have some pictures. It must have always been a purchase from the heart and it has been around for 35 years. Right let me get off this thread once I have collated it all I will start a new thread about it. 

I

• Like 1

Thanks Dan

These cars getting under your skin is an understatement, I did email Juliens many years ago and they confirmed it was the original fyeo copper esprit and that it was sold with confirmation on the chassis that it was used in the film $250k+ sold seems a lot without solid provenance, but who knows? so many questions and answers on this thread and thanks guys for all your input 

Dan sorry I had to have the matching fyeo pair, however I did have to pay a huge premium over for what he was asking to get it, I bought it blind as this was a one in a lifetime opportunity and they don't hang around for long, I will post pictures as soon as the restoration is complete

• Like 1

This is an interesting pic showing 2 white cars and the "explosion" shell being transported to Corfu;

for your eyes only behind the scenes copper turbo (4).jpg

I remember a period magazine describing their tobacco leather interiors and roof stereos.

On the subject of the copper colour there were 4 Lotus colour codes of copper IIRC, and only one was called "copper fire". Do we know what paint code the real Bond turbo had?

• Like 2

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

9 minutes ago, Loose Cannon said:

This is an interesting pic showing 2 white cars and the "explosion" shell being transported to Corfu;

I remember a period magazine describing their tobacco leather interiors and roof stereos.

On the subject of the copper colour there were 4 Lotus colour codes of copper IIRC, and only one was called "copper fire". Do we know what paint code the real Bond turbo had?

That proves two white cars were taken plus the shell which means the Walton book is right. They would have had roof stereos as they were press cars but the copper cars didnt as they were dev cars done up for the movie.

There is very little doubt about the white cars, they would have been OPW 654W as a primary car with OPW667W as a spare. Both of these were real registrations with many pictures of them unrelated to the movie, both were press cars and both had identical exterior and interior and the number OPW 654W was in the movie. This was not a fake number.

If OPW 654W later was on DVLA as copper this seems to indicate this was resprayed copper for the film after all which throws everything out of whack.

• Like 1

Just thought I'd throw this on the pile as I haven't seen a photo of it referenced on here.

I'm also experimenting as I want to know if I can see photos I post because as of yesterday I can't see anyone else's new photos they've posted.......very frustrating:angry:

IMG_3547.JPG

Edit : interesting I can't see photos I'm posting either now......can everyone else see it?

But it doesnt make sense regards the copper cars.

On the one hand we have people saying they were 2 ex-development V reg cars and the other hand we have documentation saying they were the two white cars resprayed, one of which retained its original number (backed up by DVLA record) and the other for some reason was given a new number.

• Like 1

This information is from the same page as the picture of the 3 white cars:

OPW 654W Dry sump Essex engine vin no SCCFC22A9AHD10929 White Car to be used for close up filming in Corfu

NCL 458V ex Essex Esprit development 1 car vin no SCCD20A8AHD10858repainted white with brown interior to be used as stunt /backup car in Corfu.

White Turbo Esprit Rolling Body/Chassis (no vin)to be blown up and destroyed in Corfu.

The cars were returned to the factory and the backup /stunt car (NCL 458 V) was re painted Copper Fire metallic and re-trimmed for filming in Cortina. 

OPW 678W Dry Sump Essex Engine vin no SCCFC20A1AHD 10930 Copper Fire Metallic "Hero car "close up filming ,Cortina.

This still does not account for what happened to OPW 654W and why it was listed as copper on DVLA.  MPW71V does not figure at all. But the info as given does make sense.

Nice research Andy, I knew MPW had nothing to do with the film but wasn't 100% sure as I was going to bid on the car a few years ago from Silverstone auctions, it was also an Essex prototype and was repainted in copper as well so maybe it was another spare for the film, you will never know

Ok Guys here is some more info about how Lotus move reg plates about so the white repaint thing is still pie in the sky as far as I am concerned.

My brother bought an Evora launch edition in 2013. It had 4500 miles on the clock and was direct from Lotus Cars to our local Lotus dealer after paying the deposit as the car did not belong to the dealer it was shipped back to the factory allegedly for PDI work. 6 weeks passed before the car returned. When my brother test drove the car it was wearing a AU09--- plate which matched one of the early press cars yet the Lotus dealer stated the car was not registered and might be returned as a 13 plate.

When the car did return it was now registered on the 09 press car registration plate however this press demo car in all the photos is a completely different spec and trim to my brother’s car???? Lotus said it was one of the cars used in the Lotus advert and had been kept back at the factory on show??? Even the Lotus dealer said it seemed a bit naughty. Lotus have it seems used a pool of reg numbers on early model cars for press demo etc. Is there some tax break they are exploiting by swapping reg plate from car to car or is it just convenience so they don't have to wait for DVLA I don’t know. There are quite a few reg numbers of early cars that vanish of the DVLA data base around the early to mid-80s

Here is another bit of info on MPW71V and NCL458V are both shown on their V5 registration documents as Lotus 2 Axle-Rigid-Body not Esprit or Esprit Turbo or Essex Esprit Turbo. I presume this was to hide to employees at DVLA and the local post office who taxed the vehicles what they were up to behind closed doors at Hethel.

Matt the car in America “wearing” the reg plates OPW678W is NCL458V the plates were fitted by Peter Nelson they are NOT THAT CARS LEGAL UK REG NO. It has not been used on a UK road since the late 80s it has been a museum display car so not breaking any laws the plates are for show. In America obviously UK Reg numbers mean nothing anyway.

My sources of information were Lotus employees I knew back then whom I had bought the car from and Patrick Peal who was a Lotus Dev engineer on the V8 project in the early 80s and had risen to head of PR at Lotus when I met him. Patrick contacted other ex-Lotus employees to help put the jig saw together and jog his own memory I have copies of the manuscript from letters I received from him

Has anyone also noticed the typical Bond type numerical joke /link of the real white cars Reg against the Copper cars fake Reg to link the 2 cars. (Counting numerically down then up)

OPW 654 W and OPW 678W

Cheers Mike

Edited by G_Reaper2

Just to throw a few more spanners in the works....I remember when Cars of the Stars was up and running they said they also had a white Turbo Esprit from the film. I have a web pic of it somewhere but it didn't have its red stripes on.

Is this the one now in the Dezer collection with its nose badge/decals incorrectly placed?

If both white cars were resprayed copper then no white cars should exist?

IMG_4281.JPG

This is it being shipped off after Cars of the Stars closed down (with white mirrors)

IMG_4282.JPG

• Like 2