free hit
counters
James Bond Esprit Turbo - Page 17 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

James Bond Esprit Turbo

Lotusfab

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 11 months later...
On 15/12/2016 at 23:31, Loose Cannon said:

This is an interesting pic showing 2 white cars and the "explosion" shell being transported to Corfu;

for your eyes only behind the scenes copper turbo (4).jpg

I remember a period magazine describing their tobacco leather interiors and roof stereos.

On the subject of the copper colour there were 4 Lotus colour codes of copper IIRC, and only one was called "copper fire". Do we know what paint code the real Bond turbo had?

Think that's Lotus PR chief Don Mac in the driver's seat (and I think he smoked!). I reckon that pic may have been taken on the back lot at Pinewood. That haulage firm Elliotts was based in nearby Datchet. If that pic is in Corfu then that flatbed (and driver) had a great gig taking the bodyshell across Europe. I wonder why the unit decided to go to all the trouble of shooting the blow-up scene in Corfu when they could have done it just as convincingly behind Black Park at Pinewood (perhaps they did!)

Edited by Jack Stone
  • Like 1

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...) Lotus Emira I4 (2023?...)

• Gold FFM
11 hours ago, Jack Stone said:

Think that's Lotus PR chief Don Mac in the driver's seat (and I think he smoked!). I reckon that pic may have been taken on the back lot at Pinewood. That haulage firm Elliotts was based in nearby Datchet. If that pic is in Corfu then that flatbed (and driver) had a great gig taking the bodyshell across Europe. I wonder why the unit decided to go to all the trouble of shooting the blow-up scene in Corfu when they could have done it just as convincingly behind Black Park at Pinewood (perhaps they did!)

Which they did for the pipeline explosion in 'The World is not Enough' (my wife was walking in Black Park that day when they filmed it!).

image.thumb.png.2c7f41eb69311d89f5b8302ad5c9e6b5.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven162 said:

Definitely Don, I knew him well, he was a regular at my parent's pub in Wymondham at the time. 12 year old me thought he was coolest man alive. 

He did a talk at my school on a Friday then came into the pub that evening, parking his Esprit outside, one of the reasons I worked at Lotus for 26 years, and why I own my Esprit today

and yes he smoked

Don's undoubtedly a Lotus legend. Would love to have met him. Slightly off-topic, but Don is interviewed in this clip from early 80s:

• Like 1

But remember one thing: don't lose your head to a woman that'll spend your bread: Lotus Turbo Esprit (89-11); Lotus Esprit GT3 (12-14): Lotus Evora S (14-17); Lotus Esprit V8 SE "UK Last 15" (18-...) Lotus Emira I4 (2023?...)

22 hours ago, Jack Stone said:

I wonder why the unit decided to go to all the trouble of shooting the blow-up scene in Corfu when they could have done it just as convincingly behind Black Park at Pinewood (perhaps they did!)

It looks like an area in some kind of excavation from this picture

Filming_the_Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_self-destruct_scene_(For_Your_Eyes_Only)_(2).jpg

• Like 2

The sun brolly might suggest Corfu and I think I see a few topless guys in shorts in the background. Or maybe there was just a heatwave in Pinewood..?

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

I live near Pinewood and I just spoke to an old neighbour who knew Elliotts haulage of Datchet and the gafffer Bill Elliott. He thinks it’s quite plausible that the flatbed was driven across Europe to Corfu with that bodyshell on the back. What a trip that must have been! Sadly, Bill passed on a while back so can’t get any confirmation...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andyww said:

It looks like an area in some kind of excavation from this picture

Filming_the_Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_self-destruct_scene_(For_Your_Eyes_Only)_(2).jpg

Spot in the pic above, the manikin of the baddie's mate, waiting for his "moment of fame"... 

lotus-esprit-turbo002.jpg

Edited by Jack Stone

• 2 weeks later...

I've been meaning to read this thread from the start for a while and finally decided to ignore the wife yesterday evening and do it. Suffice to say I wasn't disappointed. Fascinating stuff!

Interestingly the picture of Carole Bouquet is on the thunderballs.org website and marked 'publicity still promoting FYEO'. Also there is another picture of presumably the Dezer car with a bevy of beauties on the bonnet which I don't recall seeing in this thread.

Finally, some mentioned that the 'James Bond' script was lost when the bonnet was replace however the script is clearly below the bonnet line so I wonder why it was removed while the other left in place? Aerodynamic peeling maybe?

Edited by Nu_S1
  • Like 1

The bonnet was replaced with an HC one as can be seen in the Dezer museum but you are right, that doesnt affect the decal.

Its almost certain that the original bonnet was broken in the photoshoot you mention. It is documented that the car was used for a shoot and on the way back the bonnet flew off and went over a hedge.

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

The bonnet was replaced with an HC one as can be seen in the Dezer museum but you are right, that doesnt affect the decal.

Its almost certain that the original bonnet was broken in the photoshoot you mention. It is documented that the car was used for a shoot and on the way back the bonnet flew off and went over a hedge.

Thanks for the additional information Andy. That shoot is during promotion of the film so if it occurred then, the HC bonnet has been on the car most of its life!

Interestingly the picture at the top of this page shows the correct bonnet, so I wonder when that was taken then.

2 hours ago, LOTUSMAN33 said:

288AF7E2-DEBD-4F3C-B0B0-2C35EF7F2DC7.jpeg.3b05feefd1a8ece1d244cc0de01ffa4d.jpeg

Nice period shot 

Not seen this before and intriguing. That's an S1 behind and an Eclat/Elite to the right so is this Hethel? Any idea of the vintage of the image? Could it be the exploding replica Turbo being prepared?

11 minutes ago, kkv444v said:

That's not Fabian's car; I think it is a genuine dry sump version. 

Isn't Fabian Steele's the only other car with the correct enclosed Ski brackets as shown in the picture?