free hit
counters
Tyre Pressures - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Tyre Pressures

Hi Guys,

I'm fitting some Michelin Pilot sport 4 to my Evora tonight 18"/19" combo and I was wondering what pressures you guys are running.

I see the standard rear pressure is about 36psi this seems a bit high? Some other forums are suggesting around 30psi on the rear and 29psi on the front.

Whats the general conscientious? 

Cheers

Davie

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

36 at the back and 33.5 at the front......Ive just stuck with as per the manual

works for me......general road use........no track time

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

The Evora is pretty sensitive to tyre choice and tyre pressure, I'd be sticking to the guidelines in the manual too. :)

Welcome to TLF btw :thumbup: 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks for the welcome Bibs I've been lurking for a while.

The car has Pzero's at the moment but has only done 24k with the last owner only completing 1k in a year and the tyres just aren't inspiring any confidence in the wet. I think the tyres might be a little off so just want to get them replaced to rule them out.

I've gone with the Pilot Sport 4 as they seem to be the tyre of choice at the moment and since the 400 uses a variant of them they must be a good upgrade (I hope). I was going to go for the Pilot Super Sports but the front sizes are impossible to get at the moment due to Michelin phasing them out in certain sizes as a new compound is in development.

Hopefully the Michelin's are a good choice as the Pzeros are actually cheaper. I also do a lot of miles so I'm hoping the Michelin's will last a long time after reading about the Pzero's wearing easily.

PS4's are an awesome tyre, I'm a big fan of the range and that one in particular. 

If you never plan on taking it on track or pushing too hard, you could always dial out some rear camber as they wear on the inside shoulders. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Welcome to TLF Dave. :welcome:

You should duck over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well.

I went on a defensive driving course where the instructor said to run your tires on your car about 4 psi higher than the manufacturers recommendations. His advice was based on the fact that manufacturers generally quote pressures for comfort, not for tyre longevity, handling etc.

Since Lotus build cars that handle in preference to everyday driving cars (which is what we had on the course), I have always used the recommendations in the manual for my Esprit (can't give you any Evora experience, sorry) and have found them to be fine. I have not mucked around with the pressures.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

The increase did very little to the contact patch. As I said, we all had tupperware cars on the course. The theory is correct and works. You decrease your rolling resistance, increase your fuel economy. Handling was also better as we did comparative tests on the course. The car is rougher to ride in though. (manufacturer comfortability)

I have never done this in my Esprit.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

• 3 weeks later...

I changed from the original P0 to michelin PSS ( evora NA 18/19 ).

using the standard pressure does not change a lot on road but on track the PSS are far less sticky than the pirelli , they also raise in pressure much quicker. As a conclusion i regret a bit the change.

since i have tried lower pressure , i am now at 1.9 front 2 rear and feel it better ( but i have not yet tryed it again on track )

Stephane

• 2 weeks later...

@Scotsdave How is the tyre performing so far? 

I am doing 95% road mileage and  the odd track day, so  I am thinking of replacing P Zero's for the Michelin PS4.  The wear is not great on PZero's and they are unpredictable with cold weather compared to other ultra performance summer tyres.

On 29/11/2016 at 19:49, BillPTN said:

I recently replaced Pirellis with a set of Michelin PSS and ran them at 30/34 which I found too low. Now running at 35/38 which feels miles better

I also have P Zeros on with the 19" on the front at 36 PSI and 20" on the Rear and run them at 38 PSI, handles well.

I'm running pretty much the pressure's by the book and with driving those pressures increase anyway.

I don't feel any problem with these pressures or any need to increase them for either performance or tyre wear.

Unless theres any massive benefit I'm missing out on surely Lotus would have tested the best options / pressures suitable for the design of the car?

• Like 1

On 1/1/2017 at 20:31, daniel_2811 said:

@Scotsdave How is the tyre performing so far? 

I am doing 95% road mileage and  the odd track day, so  I am thinking of replacing P Zero's for the Michelin PS4.  The wear is not great on PZero's and they are unpredictable with cold weather compared to other ultra performance summer tyres.

Hi Daniel,

So far I've found the tyres to be excellent although to be fair the Pzeros on my car were very old and the rears probably had 3mm left. 

They have lots of grip in all conditions so far they have been worth the money, even my wife has commented on how the car is transformed.

2 hours ago, Scotsdave said:

Hi Daniel,

So far I've found the tyres to be excellent although to be fair the Pzeros on my car were very old and the rears probably had 3mm left. 

They have lots of grip in all conditions so far they have been worth the money, even my wife has commented on how the car is transformed.

@Scotsdave Thanks David. I do like the Pirelli's but the technology is behind the compound is now 10 years old and the Michelin PS4 seem to last longer. My concern is steering feel and feedback... Other people say that the PS4 is quite soft and that they need to up the tyre pressure for spirited driving. What is your experienced with that?

Hi Daniel,

I have played with the tyre pressures a little. I'm running 32psi on the front and 34psi on the rear. The back has been planted in all conditions so far and there is plenty of feedback from the steering wheel with it constantly chattering quite similar to my last elise. It sometimes feels like I have more feedback in the steering now than I did on the Pzeros but its hard to tell I've only had the car since October and been using it for commuting not been on any runs yet.

On 3-1-2017 at 12:19, Scotsdave said:

Hi Daniel,

I have played with the tyre pressures a little. I'm running 32psi on the front and 34psi on the rear. The back has been planted in all conditions so far and there is plenty of feedback from the steering wheel with it constantly chattering quite similar to my last elise. It sometimes feels like I have more feedback in the steering now than I did on the Pzeros but its hard to tell I've only had the car since October and been using it for commuting not been on any runs yet.

That sounds encouraging Dave. I run the PZero's a tad higher.  Glad you also like car. Its a great step up from the Elise in most situations. You will have great fun with the car!

If your new tyres are the same size as stock and the load rating of your new tyres are the same as stock then you should use the same tyre pressures as stock.

If however your new tyres have a different load rating then you need to recalculate the tyre pressures using the ETRTO (European Tire and Rim Technical Organisation) load inflation table. Generally if your new tyres have a lower load rating it will need a higher tyre pressure and if it has a higher load rating then needs a lower tyre pressure. This is only a general starting point but I've calculated it for lots of my friends when they've complained about handling issues after fitting new tyres and this has resolved the issue for most of them.

Edited by saj