free hit
counters
Seized hand brake - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi

the hand brake on my S3 has seized partially on. The cable is very very stiff and the lever on the calliper itself wont move (being stuck in the on position). I have stripped and rebuild rear Esprit callipers before so am reasonably happy to sort this. My question is how do I get the cable out? I have disconnected both ends and removed the grommet but I can't pull the cable towards the rear of the car, it is stuck just inside the aperture in the door sill. Is the only way it will come out is going forwards? I am trying to avoid doing this as until I have freed up the cable I can't get it off the calliper.

thanks

Christian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When I replaced the handbrakecable on my SE, I had to resort to cutting it, 'cause it wouldn't come out. The new one was fed in from front to rear.

As said, this was a Stevens Esprit.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

You could also disconnect the cables and hang the ends up high. I made a small funnel with tape around the cable end and filled it with a mix of WD40 and oil.

It needed a day until the oil found it's way to the other end, but now they move smooth again. I would only replace them if they are frayed or have broken strands.

Just watch out the oil does not mess the carpets....

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang

that was my plan but as I can't disconnect it from the calliper end and can't pull it through from the hand brake lever end I can't pull one end up high and soak it in WD40. I have sprayed WD40 down each end but need gravity on my side. The reason I can't disconnect it from the calliper is the lever on the calliper has stuck in the on position and I can't get the nipple through the hole in the calliper to disconnect it.

Does that make sense (not sure it does)? Lets try that with Google Translate:

Das war mein Plan, aber da ich es nicht vom Bremssattel abziehen kann und es nicht durch das Handbremshebelende ziehen kann, kann ich kein Ende hoch hochziehen und es in WD40 einweichen. Ich habe WD40 an jedem Ende gesprüht, aber die Schwerkraft auf meiner Seite. Der Grund, warum ich ihn nicht vom Bremssattel trennen kann, ist, dass der Hebel auf dem Bremssattel in die Ein-Position geklemmt ist, und ich kann nicht die Nippel durch das Loch in der Bremssattel, um es zu trennen.

Perhaps I will give that to my children as a test as they are both doing German exams this week :)

Anyway hopefully you get the gist. Thanks for the help. 

cheers

Christian

I just replaced mine as I figured a WD40 solution might only be temporary.

I cut them with an angle grinder to remove as Escape suggested, above. 

But the new cables were very difficult to feed through the grommets in the bulkhead and then the other grommets in the plate mounted to the body near the chassis fork. I had to remove that plate which was difficult as the screws had seized up and rusted.

Then the new cables from SJ would not adjust, they were too long by about 20mm. So I had to take out the handbrake mechanism and drill a new hole in the metal linkage to shorten it.

yes direct from Google, I thought it would be so bad it would be a joke.

I managed to get it disconnected from the calliper end last night so have lifted the end and made a funnel to dribble the oil down as you suggest. I am now stripping down the calliper to see what has failed there.

cheers

Christian