free hit
counters
bye bye Nico - Page 2 - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

17 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Lauda says "we will have a better driver than Nico for 2017".

Bit harsh that given what looked to me like Lauda did everythink possible to ensure a Nico WDC.

And they say women can turn nasty... ;)

Lauda give a (in my eyes) well balanced interview in german Welt am Sonntag, stressing the fact that N Rosberg has a binding contract and 1200 prople in GB are working for the whole Thing.

Therefore j u s t leaving is the real harsh Thing.......

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jenson for Mercedes.......  

Interesting. Alonso to Mercedes and Hamilton to McLaren haha...... Would love to see Button do a year in the Mercedes. hat would be so cool with Hammy the Hipster. I don;t get the hat for Ha

Really shocked. He was in bits after the race. I wonder if coming second to Hamilton for 25 years has just become too much. He said that he had to give it everything this season and that he's not prep

Posted Images

A contract is a contract - but you can't make someone drive. Contracts can be broken but that starts getting very expensive.

Andrew Shovlin is part of the triumvirate deciding on the future driver - I bet I know which driver is on his mind !

Wehrlein is the fall back option - but not the first choice.

Went to the BRDC Prize Giving yesterday, Nico arrived to a huge standing ovation, charming, eloquent and humble speech , prize awarded by a very frail Stirling Moss. The whole thing was wonderful to behold, and reminded of the days of my childhood when Lotus and BRM dominated and the drivers, Jim Clark and Graham Hill behaved like gentlemen . Paddy Lowe won the John Bolster Trophy for his engineering skills, and was really pushed by the MC as to who might fill Niko's seat, "wouldn't it be nice to see Fernando there" came his tortured reply, with tumultuous applause !

• Like 1

lol......

didn't go too well last time Lewis and Fernando were in the same team.....

:P

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

• Gold FFM

Hammy to McLaren. Alonso to Mercedes with Button in seat 2.

Hahaha

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I think Fernando would waive his fee to drive a Merc next year so he could effectively buy himself out of his own contract.

But I think Merc would be better off with a less incendiary pairing. In 2007 neither McLaren driver won the title, I could see the same thing happening again.

I still find it a bit strange that Nico found winning the WDC such torture. I think it's a deep rooted thing with him, losing to Lewis for 18 years I guess he'd rather be do anything else than lose to him again next year. I do fear the novelty of changing nappies is going to wear off pretty quick though! Best of luck to him, the last 3 seasons would have been terminally dull without the title battles.

• Gold FFM

I also think it must be hard to be the son of an F1 WDC too.

This way he bows out with grace at the top of his game with q x WDC the same as his dad.

Neither overshadows or betters the other etc.

I'm sure we will see him in WEC sometime soon. I wish him well he made a tough call and he made it well.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I think the truth is more likely that Lewis broke him. Having found out what it takes to finally beat Lewis he just can't face going through all that again.

Fair play to him, he's done something very few have ever managed. I quite like that winning it once is enough. It restores some value to the achievement. Since the days of Schuey's domination we've become accustomed to think that you have to win more than 3 to be considered one of 'the greats' which is getting a bit daft. There have been many 'greats' who never won a Championship. I don't put Senna in a lesser catagory to Prost or Schumacher on account of the number of championships won.

As far as I can tell that's based on nothing more than Paddy Lowe's comment at a recent do which was only reflecting what F1 fans wanted. They must know that with Alonso there's a big risk of implosion and for the rivalry to become so intense it ends up being destructive. Merc's best chance of keeping the champagne flowing is to hire someone who would be a consistent points finisher but also someone who can deal with getting beaten by Hamilton on a regular basis.

Comments about interest in Alonso have been made by Toto Wolff, as well. I'm intrigued to learn how watertight those F1 contracts are, and I also read this morning that Massa has said he would come out of retirement for the Merc seat.

It's shaping up to have even more suspense than the last GP!

Margate Exotics.

Valteri Bottas (or "Hairy" as Mrs Mes calls him) to Mercedes and Nasr to replace him at Williams. 

Joe Saward has just written a very good piece about this. It's the only solution that seems to make any sense for all involved. 

Alonso remains the most overrated driver in F1. Sure, he can be fast, but his demeanor drives every team down. He ruined his first stay at Mclaren with Hamilton, ruined Ferrari with the car getting worse every year he was there and hasn't done McLaren any good second time round either.

My bet for 2017: Wehrlein. He is available, a Mercedes Junior and would take a one year contract, giving Mercedes the chance for a top notch driver (Vettel?) in 2018.

And Nico? He won this year because Hamilton had too many DNFs. Hamilton still won more GP than Rosberg and would have won if his engine hadn't exploded in Malaysia. It must have been obvious he wouldn't have so much luck again next year.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

6 hours ago, TBD said:

And Nico? He won this year because Hamilton had too many DNFs. Hamilton still won more GP than Rosberg and would have won if his engine hadn't exploded in Malaysia. It must have been obvious he wouldn't have so much luck again next year.

so Hamiltons poor qualifying at the european round and his poor starts at japan and italy had nothing to do with him losing the championship

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

Looks like attention has switched to Ricciardo as Red Bull favour given Max the #1 slot. thinking is that Ricciardo is so laid back not even Hammy will get to him.

Interesting....

Ricciardo will also be a reliable points scorer. He's the real deal in my opinion, managing to outpoint wunderkind Verstappen pretty convincingly over the season. I can't see a reason why Alonso would be more likely to deliver both titles to Mercedes but comes with a lot more risk. I consider him at least as good as Rosberg. He's also got the temperament to succeed in the same team as four time champ Vettel so would approach racing with Hamilton no differently.

It was quite significant that Rosberg was, I believe, the first german driver to win the drivers championship for Mercedes. If that is important to Mercedes then perhaps it favours Wehrlein and possibly Hulkenberg (another exceptional talent). I'm sure Vettel would drop Ferrari in a heartbeat to drive a Merc next season also...

• Gold FFM

I thought Vettel had ruled himself out..

Jenson Button would be the straightforward choice IMO. He's a former champion and has proven himself as a fairly stress-free team-mate for Hamilton already. He's got no seat for next year, so could plug the gap until Vettel is free for 2018 (I think). I'd hope McLaren wouldn't be petty enough to block such a move, so it shouldn't cost Mercedes much, if anything. JB's not the highest paid driver on the grid either, so the bean-counters would be happy. There wouldn't be any disruption to any other team line-ups either. JB might even remember a few Brackley staff from their Brawn days. Trouble is I doubt Mercedes would want two British drivers: that wouldn't help their global Marketing reach. They'll probably pick Alonso, which will at least make things spicy again next year.

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I thought Vettel had ruled himself out..

No chance for  2017 as he has a running contract with Ferrari and they wouldn't let him go for any money.

But he would likely not turn down an offer for 2018 (unless in 2017 Ferrari beats Merc).

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• Gold FFM

As I thought.

So Button for 2017 in a Merc and then Mercedes get's it German driver in 2018 :)

Button and Hammy get on well and there will be a clear 1 and 2 driver pecking order and Button can be relied on to bring the car home safe for the constructors championship.

I don't rate Bottas and Hulkenburg as safe pairs of hands like Button.

Just a humble little view though...