free hit
counters
Tailgate hitting sunroof? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

For a while now my tailgate hits the sunroof when it opens, I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this happening?

I put a new seal on a few years back to try and stop the squeaking roof noise, but it didn't help, that was cured by silicone spray every so often on the seal. The seal was tight as it was new, but it din't make the roof hit the gate. I'm wondering if it's my front hinge slots, the roof is not going in far enough so it's further back allowing it to hit the gate. I don't know if these are still available, but will buy some new ones if they are. I'm also wondering if the rear locking handles are getting weak or flexing so they don't hold the roof in the correct position?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's possible that the screws that hold the tail gate to the hinges have shifted. If the 3 bolts that hold the tailgate to each hinge are slightly loosened then the hatch can slider forward or af

Have you cleaned out the hole bits in the front tongue thingy ?? Sounds like it might not be going in fully

I've got my gate to stop hitting the sunroof and improved the shut lines. I checked the hinges on the gate and made some adjustments up and down, but not back and forth. The shut line gaps are pretty

Bang up a picture if you can.

something about opening the tailgate with the sunroof open rings a bell as a problem. Or shutting the sunroof with the tailgate open ? 

Only here once

You should definitely be able to open the tailgate with the roof closed. I have a solid roof with my car, but I only have the seal for the glass roof. Even with the solid roof on, that sits just slightly proud, I can open the tailgate when it is closed.

You should be able to open the tailgate with the roof fully open as well.

If your tailgate is sitting in the correct place when closed, then maybe it is an issue with the front hinges on the roof.

I presume the hinges on the tailgate are tight and the tailgate is not slipping downward when it is open?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

The tailgate has never been off and I don't have a problem with the gate hitting the roof when open. It hasn't always happened, only recently, this is why I think it's the front hinges, I think something is inside not allowing the roof to go fully in so it's sitting too far back. I will buy new hinges and pivot plates if available and see if that cures the problem. I do find getting the hinge plates in the slots difficult, not as easy as it used to be. I'll shoot a small video so you can see, it's not marking the roof, just clipping it, but don't want this happening once it's painted again.

Edited by OwenGT3

My Esprit SE had a warning somewhere about the tailgategate hitting the glass roof (either a sticker or something in the manual). I can't remember experiencing a problem though, but I was aware that there might be if I didn't get the sequencing right.

I believe that warning applies when you have the roof open - although I haven't had that issue either. Don't think the tailgate lifts enough on the SE to hit it when its open.

Having said that, I had this very issue with my V8 but it was due to the car having the wrong seal fitted together with the composite roof. It required fettling to get right. 

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

• Gold FFM

The sunroof will hit the tailgate when the tailgate is open while you close the sunroof. All other combination are fine.

With the sunroof closed, the only way the tailgate could hit is if one or both is misaligned. Probably the front tongues, as you say.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

The new seal that was fitted came from Lotus, ordered by someone who knows my car well, so wouldn't have ordered the wrong one as the glass roof seals are taller. I still think it's the front hinges, it's only being clipped by the gate by a hairs breadth.

Edited by OwenGT3

It's possible that the screws that hold the tail gate to the hinges have shifted.

If the 3 bolts that hold the tailgate to each hinge are slightly loosened then the hatch can slider forward or aft-ward, or it can be pivoted up or down at the leading edge.  This can happen due to gravity while the hatch is in the up position, f the hinge bolts aren't tight. 

This could cause the hatch to hit the closed sunroof while opening.

Be careful!  with any hatch adjustment, there is a possibility that the hatch will lock and you will not be able to open it again.  When adjusting the hatch, place vise grips on both latch mechanisms to prevent it from getting stuck, and you can see if the striker posts are fouling the latches. 

• Like 2

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I've got my gate to stop hitting the sunroof and improved the shut lines. I checked the hinges on the gate and made some adjustments up and down, but not back and forth. The shut line gaps are pretty even all the way around so didn't move it that way, I just made adjustments to up and down position. I did purchase some new hinges, but haven't fitted them yet, also one is obsolete, so I got two right hand version and might modify one or could 3D print a replacement one. 

I finally got it lowered and improved the shut line by trimming some off the locking handles on the roof. The rubber seal that the fixing screws go through has about 1 mm sitting on the back of the handle, I removed this and this was enough to make the roof pull down tighter on the seal and make the gate clear the roof, but in doing so bought the roof shut line level with the gate, which was sitting proud. I've also noticed this has improved creaking in the roof, as I think this allowed the handles to flex more, now it doesn't and is tighter on the seal. If there are problems I can always revert it back my just using a thin 1 m rubber washer how it was originally.

• Like 1