free hit
counters
Evora driveshafts - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
garw

Evora driveshafts

Hi
I'm building a car which uses Evora hubs

I have customs drive shafts with naturally an Evora outboard cv joint

When test fitting they slide nicely into the hub spline but stop 3/4 way in

Are they normally tight at the end ?

I have not tried tightening them yet

....put the nut on and it wont go any closer

see picture

im beginning to think this is normal and its as far as it can go

IMG_2933.JPG

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you measured the spline length and the depth of the spline in the hubs? Remember that the spline in the hub will lessen near the end. It is not cut square at the end.

Splines are not normally tight fitting. That isn't the way they are designed. Are you sure there is not something missing such as a spacer or something of that ilk?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

A spacer of some sort would explain it ,

cant find anything in the Evora parts diagrams , 

ive never seen a drive shaft like this before .  

The speed sensor is mounted behind the hub , but the driveshaft has no abs ring on it ? So a separate abs ring would explain the gap , 

but nothing in the parts diagram ?

heres a pic of an Evora upright with the speed sensor 

http://jpegbay.com/gallery/004824086-.html#2

I'm not actually able to tell from your first photo which way it is setting up. Not sure if I can help much, what with not owning an Evora.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

thanks anyway

I found detail on the abs sensor ring , it is in the hub bearing seal.

"The hub bearing unit, which is common to all four wheels, is fixed to the hub carrier by 4 bolts, and in

-corporates a wide spaced double row ball bearing and a vehicle speed sensor ring integrated into the inboard

seal, whose 48 pole signal is picked up by a sensor mounted in the rear of the hub carrier. This data is used

for the anti-lock brake, vehicle stability, engine management and speedometer functions.  "

Pretty sure that the cv joint should be butted up tight to the hub. Otherwise as the supesion goes up and down you'll have the spline end of th cv joint moving back and forth in the hub as it is essentially loose on one side.

Drive shafts too short by about an inch??

Yes , it can't be an inch out like the picture silly for me to think otherwise , the shafts were built from the distance between hub face and gearbox flange . So unless they go all the way in they are wrong .

I found the cross section view from the Evora manual and it's defiantly touching the hub. 

My avatar picture is a render of the cad model of the car I'm building 

Ok , now I'm really lost .

i have bought a pair of used Evora driveshafts and a new Evora hub 

.....still does not go the last inch 

I cannot make any sense of this at all 

IMG_3031.JPG

hub.jpg

I have just ordered a used evora hub as a last test

i would love to see a picture of an evora driveshaft and hub mated

as I cant see at this stage its even possible in real life

If the threaded part of the CV joint comes through the hub, maybe these are an interference fit and you pull it together by tightening the nut. How did you get the originals apart as I presume that would require pressing to get them apart?

I never took the originals apart 

the used driveshafts I bought of eBay 

and the new hub also if eBay 

so I have 5 hubs from 3 different sources 

and 5 cv joints from 2 sources .

the torque setting is 300nm for the hub nut this would not make it very hard to remove , but it would need a tap 

the used shafts have no signs of overtight fitting (marks in the spline) and there are no signs of hammering to get them out .

but the strange thing is the drawing shows the parts touching (bearing face and cv joint ) 

Edited by garw

I have not had mine apart.  But if its similar to Exige/Elise, it appears others have had the same issue.

(From another forum):

"My puzzle is getting it back together. I couldn't get it to snap in (splines are aligned, turning the hub turns the other shaft). So I tried closing it up by reassembling the suspension. The weird thing is, with the rear suspension all back together, the stub shaft is still not seated; the thin metal dust cover is about 1/2" to 5/8" away from the rubber seal.
What am I doing wrong? Am I harming my CV joints?"

And the replies...

" It is actually easier to seat it with the suspension assembled. You probably won't be able to get it seated with a static load (pry bar or similar), at least I never could. You will have to provide a dynamic load impacting it.
What I did was take an old tie-rod removal fork, heated up the prongs and spread them apart far enough to fit over the outer stepped edge of the inboard joint cover, I put the handle end of the fork behind the lower a-arm mid support bar to act as a lever fulcrum, then with a rubber mallet, gave it a very light hit on the fork's handle, and it pops in. With a dynamic load like that, it does not take much force to get it seated."

And...

" Thank you. Got 'er done with some tapping.
Edit: For anyone looking at this for a simple approach, I found that with the hub/upright mounted, the CV joints have too much slack to push in the stub. So I disconnected the upright from the upper arm and was then able to move it in the inboard direction to apply pressure to the stub axle. A few solid whacks on the hub nut with a dead-blow mallet did the trick."

Alec, have you thought at all to contact the factory and ask or is there anything in the service manual for the Evora?

There is nothing in the manual to explain it , I got the drawing above from the manual 

How does one contact the factory 

mailto:[email protected] I guess would be my first place. 

Exige v6 has the same hub at rear I discovered . So there's another route 

this prompted me to cross reference 

thanks  everyone 

I've been thinking about this a bit. Splines are generally made to slip easily. Tailshafts etc without allowing a lot of sideplay. There would be some, but it would be miniscule. With Lotus using these on their driveshafts, it would make sense that it is an interference fit for the last bit to eliminate any unwanted movement or backlash, however small.

As some others have said, they have been able to assemble the parts using a dead blow hammer or similar. The factory may have some type of press setup that does these in-situ on the car, then they torque the nut up to 300nm.

Have you tried to use a puller across the hub and behind the CV to see if it will pull in?

I have tried a high power impact wrench 

and also a big hammer on the back of the cv (no rubber gaiter fitted ) 

and I could get it in a bit more 15mm left to go 

this was extreme and I did it as a real test 

I needed a big hammer to get it out again 

soft mallet , amber hammer would not get it out so I ended up riveting the front of the cv getting it out . 

I knew I would damage it but I was willing to sacrifice parts to perform a final test 

to prove it will not go in all the way 

I believe this is a design fault which has been rectified with a spacer in production cars 

I'm at the autosport show in January 

and if I don't find a solution before then I will stick my head under an Evora , exige v6 or 3 eleven to see for myself .