free hit
counters
Is the Elite weird? - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I heard a story of how that Altair Green colour came about from a former stylist. Apparently the management at the time were dead set on simple old fashioned colours that sports cars "should" be;

That's Ricks on here. It's lovely  

In answer to the original question, no.  The Elite was a beautiful thing and got me into the Lotus marque.  In it's day it was it was one of the most exclusive and sophisticated things on the road. I

Posted Images

Can't remember ever seeing a car after the Elite which produced 70bhp at 54k rpm :blink::lol:

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I would say, it's certainly not a design for the majority. But weird? No, rather cool I would call it! For me, it's one of the coolest cars ever.

But I absolutely can understand that if one has no clue about car design can judgde it weird - as the creator of the video included some proven classics such as the Citroen SM, Bond Bug, Ghia Streamline... The Elite and the SM (as series production cars) were both in design and technology far ahead of time and both very innovative in many ways. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Bibs said:

Can't remember ever seeing a car after the Elite which produced 70bhp at 54k rpm :blink::lol:

That equates to an impressive 719.73 bhp.

But I think this is only the special 1963cc version of the 907. all the others only had 160.

The Elite is cool. Certainly not weird.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

• Gold FFM

It's a weird car. One of the 7 weirdest cars in the world? Not by a long shot.

I am afraid the Elite and the Europa are the two Lotus I may never love. I just can't get on with the looks of them. In truth I'm not a big fan of the S1 Esprit either.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, JayEmm said:

It's a weird car. One of the 7 weirdest cars in the world? Not by a long shot.

I am afraid the Elite and the Europa are the two Lotus I may never love. I just can't get on with the looks of them. In truth I'm not a big fan of the S1 Esprit either.

Help - someone help - this man needs medical attention urgently........

• Like 1

Only here once

Unconventional, rather than weird I think. I guess you have to remember what else was on the roads in the 70s to realise how great it looked back then!

I love the front end wedgyness of it like my Esprit but the rear end is love it or hate it. Personally it's not for me and I prefer the Eclat rear treatment that led to the Excel I had previously. 

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Sure beats driving a normal or ordinary car.

If the Elite and Citroen SM are weird, I'll take that any day!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, eeyoreish said:

I guess you have to remember what else was on the roads in the 70s to realise how great it looked back then!

Totally agree - it is all about context. I accept that the rear end treatment of the Elite are not to all tastes but it works for me. I like the Eclat as well but the protruding boot which doesn't follow the line of the rear window has always spoilt it for me, but again, just a personal thing.

These cars were SO far ahead of much else in their day - pioneering always comes with an element of risk. I still reckon most of the trickier issues that these cars had back in the day can be engineered out thanks to advances in technology over the intervening 40 years. Just depends on how slavish you want to be to originality - given that these cars are so undervalued it doesn't seem to make much difference in terms of value and saleability - in fact the crumbier the condition it seems, the more likely you are to get a sale!

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Just a bit of fun - as it's Christmas! (Massive apologies to Mssrs Winterbottom and Kimberly!)

Still prefer the original but I think something along the lines of an Elite/Eclat hydrid is actually quite cool and would have given a bigger boot.

Rear view camera does away with the need for a rear window lol

lotus-elite-variations.jpg

• Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Fascinating thread! My favourite Lotus cars are the Europa twin cam and the Elite. I also like to think about how our cars would have evolved. Oilmagnet - could you put an Elite rear end onto an Excel to see how that would have looked? Has anybody the skill and wherewithall to try it? Bet it's more than a simple cut and graft job!

3 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Just a bit of fun - as it's Christmas! (Massive apologies to Mssrs Winterbottom and Kimberly!)

Still prefer the original but I think something along the lines of an Elite/Eclat hydrid is actually quite cool and would have given a bigger boot.

Rear view camera does away with the need for a rear window lol

lotus-elite-variations.jpg

Now this I like... A small letter box window in the rear like the Citroen or maserati khasmin would sort out visibility and the rear drop shape would improve drag...

I think it's weird and I own one. Just park one in a car park and you'll see.

Edited by tonytransam
  • Gold FFM

It's certainly a car that creates conversation. Usually between a father and son, with the son saying "What the fck is that!?"

The Reliant Scimitar had similar lines as I recall

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Wash your f£&kjim mouth out. @JayEmm:lol:

conversation about reliants in comparison to lotus is like raising how good vw's are at a green peace rally...

Only here once

• Gold FFM

The weird thing is I really love the Excel, which has very similar underpinnings to the Eclat... which is basically the Elite, non?

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

to be fair - eclat, elite, excel, esprit are all so completely different to me. 

As a kid I'd didn't like the excel/eclat look...... bit like red wine - it really grows on you with age

Only here once

2 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

It's certainly a car that creates conversation. Usually between a father and son, with the son saying "What the fck is that!?"

The Reliant Scimitar had similar lines as I recall

It was only the rear side window line that bore a superficial similarity to the Elite. Several early 70s cars had similar treatment. Otherwise the Scimitar was quite a conventional design, but the body was nowhere near as well engineered as the Elite where the fibreglass construction was part of the structural integrity of the car.

I know what you mean about being weird, I just remember how radical the shape was in 1974 when I was an impecunious and dreamy student. It was so exotic yet also practical, not only with the rear window line and hatchback, but also the line of the front side windows which aid peripheral vision noticeably. It wasn't either a supercar or a saloon car - it encapsulated the Lotus concept of efficiency with cool, if controversial, design. However, it was this failure to fit into any pre-existing niche that was probably part of the reason for the car's lacklustre sales

I may be in a minority, but I think Winterbottom's concept of a more minimalist interior (with slim front seat backs and a low-line dash shelf and driver's instrument binnacle - a bit like the Rover SD1 I suppose) would have suited the car better than the Guigiaro design, which is more opulent. Apparently Colin Chapman didn't give him enough time (only 2 days, I think, to produce a prototype) before selecting Guigiaro.

The car in the video is not a great example of the breed - needs a little work!

Richard