free hit
counters
Tredwear 'Goodyear' letters group buy No.2 - Page 4 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Tredwear 'Goodyear' letters group buy No.2

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Et Voila, all tires are done. 😉. I made some pictures in the proces. Here you see the tire and the original letters.... I know I know, Nankang... but I assure you, there isn 't much choise left i

I carried out quite a few experiments with different templates in order to spray paint the letters on but I gave up in the end because the results weren't great. The biggest problem was trying to get

Nope, that's pretending to make a useful contribution. Have another go with the emulation thing! It's not much use for the people who have asked me to get some letters for them. The spray method

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Any update on this - would be great to get them lined up so I can start looking at new tires. Thanks v much, Henry

Hi ,

In 2018 I bought a set for my Opel GT (FEDERAL) and a set for my LOTUS ESPRIT ( Goodyear )  You can see the pictures in this topic.

I got them from a shop that advertised on ETSY, but they are not there anymore. Since I had their Emailadress I asked and they explained  the following:

hi,Geert

yes we do not have etsy store because;

tiresticker.com (owner keith) he constantly reported us over etsy complained and shut down our store

all brands and models,size available if you wish to buy

you can pay us directly with PayPal,and we send you the tire letter you want

In 2018 I got 8 sets GOOD YEAR ( see pictures in this topic) + a gluebottle : I payed 65 dollar incl shipping via paypall and they arrived quick . I used 4 sets on my current tires and have 4 sets spare for my next tires.

On my request he made them 1" high and with the classic 70ties layout instead of the current italic letters, but you can see them on my pictures in this topic

If someone is interested : [email protected]  and the guy is Ozer Karaman. You can mail him and ask if he is still in business.28659702817_bc90eb9947_c.jpg

Quality wise I cannot compare with tredwear, because I only had these. For those that used tredwear are the letters black in the back or also plain white rubber?

They are cut out of 1mm thick white (neoprene?)rubber. The cutout is very good. They are delivered with a backing and front plastic protection, but I prefer to glue each letter individual.

I have to say, On my esprit they become brownish in spots and this can be cleaned with dasty,  It must be oil that bleeds from inside the tire. It is in spots, so I think the glue may make a buffer. Next time I would use CA glue more in gelform that is easier to spread over the entire letter. The glue itself holds very well. No problem with coming loose

20200618_215219.jpg

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

I'd love some of these.

Is the group buy order complete or still open?

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Im having trouble with mine turning brown so much so I was recently asked if I had painted them gold to match my wheels.

Ive scrubbed them with a nylon brush and cleaner which helps but have definitely discoloured.

Anyone else had this problem or found a solution?

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I guess you could use a white rubber paint pen like I do. I don't have the individual letters but on the tyre I need to reapply the white every few months to keep it looking fresh. On the tyre there are groves making it relatively easy but still time consuming.

A real faff to be honest. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I use some white tire writing pens for mine - have to do it every few months... indeed a faff but it does look cool! 

Hi Buddsy,

Mine are turning brown also and I see that on my Opel GT this is less the case then on my Esprit, so I think this has to do with the tire brand that is used , I guess.

In the old days I had original white letter tires from cooper cobra and from General and these were easy to keep clean. From time to time a fast scrub with a sponge and some handsoap or greensoap did the job.

Now I found this is not the case with these white rubber letters we glue on. Mine turn brown not evenly but more in spots. I think that the oil that is pushed out of a tire ( always has a brown colour but is less noticable on a black tire) pushes through the white rubber and make those stains. Possibly, the CA glue in between may help to not let this oil get to the surface and that may be the reason it is in spots???

Anyway this is not filth from outside but from within the tire and it is harder to remove, I am afraid.

I had succes with acetone ( this is also mentioned  somewhere on the tredwear website , but I can't find it ) : Just be aware that acetone is also used to desolve CA glue .

I also had succes with dasty degreaser ,wich is a very strong and effective detergent, that is used in household but also in garage.  I spray it on , scrub , let it work in for some minutes and use a lot of water to rince off, because The dasty is so strong in degreasing that it would not be good for the rubber tire to leave it on. The letters clean up well although not completely perfect.

Unlike other detergents, Dasty is reallllly strong, but as with all miracle cleaners , be carefull and always rince off thoroughly. For me this works miracles on engines and on all stuff that is really dirty . Online it has become a myth for about every cleaning job, and it just does the job costing no more then 2,5 €/1l bottle in the wibra here in Belgium. I always have multiple bottles around ( floor, engines,cloathing.....)

Finally, Yours are tredwear letters? , mine are cheaper ones from classicspeedshopusa and if I understand the tredwears have the same problem of turning brown ?

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 12:03, The Pits said:

I've had a few requests for another group buy from Tredwear. I'll be getting a couple of sets for myself.

If you're interested let me know below and I'll see what can be done.

Let's hope they're still trading!

Hi Johnny, please can I have a set? Any update?

In the absence of any advancement on this I have been looking at making my own Goodyear decals. Seems to me it would be fairly simple to take a silicon mould from the original tyre. I could then cast the letters in white using a rubber compound and glue them on. I may attempt this in the next few weeks.

If anyone is interested I may have found a British company to make these. I’ll start a new thread on Esprit chat.

On 19/06/2020 at 09:59, Bazza 907 said:

I guess you could use a white rubber paint pen like I do. I don't have the individual letters but on the tyre I need to reapply the white every few months to keep it looking fresh. On the tyre there are groves making it relatively easy but still time consuming.

A real faff to be honest. 

I used to do this and as you say a real faff. I thought these stick on letters would be an end to it but gvy has said it seems to be something leaching out of the tyre making them go gold!

I have to say im pretty disappointed with these.

109344727_597022771246559_8599377267162930680_n.jpg

They will clean up a bit but with a lot of effort and not as white as they should be.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

• 1 month later...

I clean the white pin stripe on my wire wheels with carb cleaner (a good solvent), but periodically I give them a freshen up with white wall paint, which remains flexible.

They've lasted 12 years since it's last restoration.

Sunbeam Alpine Series II - 2015 07.jpg

• Like 1

Gunk Ultra is pretty useless as an engine degreaser, but gave me spectacular results in cleaning up some scrap motorcycle tyres - they came up like new (literally) - apart from the tread....   Maybe worth a try.   But must be Gunk Ultra (detergent based), not the standard 'diesel fuel' type Gunk.  

Very nice Alipne BTW.