free hit
counters
Stevens front hub grease seals - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Stevens front hub grease seals

Hi,

Is there anyone who could help me out in finding the correct front hub grease seals for my Turbo SE? I had an absolute nightmare of a time last weekend reassembling my car against the clock and trying to fit generic hub seals supplied to me by a popular supplier...

According to the Xref list I have two options:

Toyota 90311-48001
National 224820

The seals I removed (and ended up having to refit after a thorough cleaning) had a taper on one side which allowed them to be fitted with relative ease courtesy of a few gentle whacks with a mallet and a block of wood. The "alternative item" was symmetrical and wouldn't go in this way. I believe they would have been fine had I used a press, but I don't have one at the moment.

Here's some pics (the one I removed and refitted on the left and new part which I couldn't fit on the right):

Vanyas Lumia_20161210_15_57_05_Pro

Vanyas Lumia_20161210_15_56_56_Pro

Vanyas Lumia_20161210_15_57_01_Pro

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My S4 had the seals as the new ones you've got pictured and were Lotus bagged parts fitted in 2007 and interestingly had failed - and were originally fitted via a press...

Not that that helps!

But the new issue Lotus part doesnt need a press... having just done it the weekend just gone... 

Thanks for the tips guys.

@Vulcan GreyDid you have to press those in? 

@tinywillyuk Which is the "new issue Lotus part"? When I checked DeRoure I saw they had seals for the Turbo SE but they cost an absolutely stupid amount! And even then I wasn't sure if they were the ones I have pictured above. 

I'll be getting a press soon so maybe it wont matter either way which I buy. Just wish these were available off the shelf somewhere....

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

Vanya, I've got a collection of them, I shall try and take you a photo tomorrow.

Essentially they are dimensionally the same but pretty sure if I look closely they're a slight tapered fit and are of a spring equipped soft thermoplastic (I believe at least) construction although very similar to look at to Travis top pic.