free hit
counters
spark plugs - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After much digging around I think I understand the spark plug story with the V6 SC. The plug used is an NGK ILFR7B8 This is a plug that is specific to lotus. Currently unavailable on the aft

OEM from DENSO - go to Elise-Parts where they are around 1/3 of the price that Lotus will charge you (circa Euro 105 for 6).

@MartynB--that's been my problem as well, as I'd like to get an extra set of plugs in hand.  I did find this (finally) searching for ILFR7B8...... http://japansparkplugs.com/boutique/en/denso/65-

  • Gold FFM

OEM from DENSO - go to Elise-Parts where they are around 1/3 of the price that Lotus will charge you (circa Euro 105 for 6).

  • Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't find any Denso plugs on Elise-Parts, or anything for the supercharged V6 in fact. I wonder if @C8RKH was thinking of Elise-Shop, they have a set for the NA Evora, which are Denso Iridiums (probably the FK20HR11 (gap 1.0-1.1mm), but it doesn't say)

However, Lotus don't recommend those for the supercharged 2GR-FE, instead they specify the NGK ILFR7B8 (with a gap of 0.8mm)

Odd thing is, I can't find that NGK part number, only ILKR7B8. I do wonder if Lotus have made a typo in their tech manual and that has then been copied far and wide. Ah the internet

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, MartynB said:

 

Odd thing is, I can't find that NGK part number, only ILKR7B8. I do wonder if Lotus have made a typo in their tech manual and that has then been copied far and wide. Ah the internet

@MartynB--that's been my problem as well, as I'd like to get an extra set of plugs in hand. 

I did find this (finally) searching for ILFR7B8...... http://japansparkplugs.com/boutique/en/denso/65-6x-vkh22.html

And, I found this cross-reference to Denso VKH22 ..... https://partinfo.org/ngk-ilfr7b8/

 

  • Like 1

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 16:54, MartynB said:

Good work @Jack

I wonder why it's so difficult to find the NGK parts. Looks like my typo hunch was wrong though, which is a relief.

Not used in any vehicle here in the UK apart from Lotus V6. Also used in the American Mitsubishi outlander 3.0.

Took a plug out of my V6 over the week end and its fitted with NGK's.

So I ordered a few sets of NGK plugs from America and they will be going onto the website later

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Not used in any vehicle here in the UK apart from Lotus V6. Also used in the American Mitsubishi outlander 3.0.

Took a plug out of my V6 over the week end and its fitted with NGK's.

So I ordered a few sets of NGK plugs from America and they will be going onto the website later

Hi Dave

Are you planning on changing your plugs when they arrive? Is there any benefit doing them ahead of lotus recommended 36k / 4 years?

Regards

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Seriouslylotus --- Good job, Dave!  Taking care of your UK customers.  Which specific NGK plug # did you order?

EDIT:   just saw your f/u post re fitment … sorry to hear that.

 

@MartynB --- Martyn, one of our (US) Lotus vendors is offering the NGK # LFR7AIX as the proper plug for the s/c model …. heat range 7, pre-gapped at .032"/ .8mm

If correct, that particular NGK plug looks to be readily available.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, these last few posts got me back on the hunt for spark plugs again.

Found these:  ILKR7B8 and LFR7AIX, both appear to be the same (correct) heat range, gap and size as the stock plugs Lotus specifies (ILFR7B8).  Price point is quite different between the two.

The first is the NGK "Laser Iridium" series and the second is the Iridium IX series.   The explanation of the difference between the Laser Iridium (OEM) and the Iridium IX plugs is ….. from the NGK site: 

 

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OE IRIDIUM AND IRIDIUM IX

NGK builds two types of iridium spark plugs: OE Iridium and Iridium IX®. Every plug in the Laser Series was designed for an OEM application. All dual precious metal plugs are designed to provide maximum longevity. For the OE Iridium series, dual precious metal means iridium on the center tip and platinum on the ground electrode. Some of these plugs have special resistors or multiple ground electrodes, depending on the original equipment requirements.

The Iridium IX® spark plugs are a single precious metal aftermarket performance plug. They are a great option for modified engines, and where recommended, are appropriate replacements for OEM spark plugs. Iridium IX® plugs are an excellent upgrade from standard nickel plugs. The Iridium IX® plugs are offered in various heat ranges and sizes to fit most automotive and non-automotive applications.

These two plugs perform similarly, due to their fine-wire tip design, but the service interval is different; the Laser Series are typically designed to last 80 to 100 thousand miles, where as the Iridium IX® spark plugs are designed to last 40 to 50 thousand mile

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing that bothers me is that the OEM is "special design B" while the IX plug is "special design A". So, not knowing what either actually mean I'd be hesitant to swap out.

ILK won't fit because the K means 12mm thread rather than the F being 14mm.

https://www.ngk.de/fileadmin/Dokumente/EN/downloads_not_used_in_download_area/ngk_zuendkerzen_code_en.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites

Martyn, yes, you are obviously correct … my bad.  I think the LFR7AIX will indeed work.  

 

Equivalences :

NGK 
PLFR7A-9 / PLFR7A-11 / LFR7B / LFR7AIX / ILFR7H

DENSO K22PRH-U11 / IKH22

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedViper said:

Hi Dave

Are you planning on changing your plugs when they arrive? Is there any benefit doing them ahead of lotus recommended 36k / 4 years?

Regards

Chris

No plans to change mine they are only 2000 miles old. However the Evora S is what 5 years old now and the first V6 exiges are now 3.5 years old.

I suspect there will be a few people asking for them, so I've started to look for these to put into stock

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

No plans to change mine they are only 2000 miles old. However the Evora S is what 5 years old now and the first V6 exiges are now 3.5 years old.

I suspect there will be a few people asking for them, so I've started to look for these to put into stock

Thanks Dave. My car is coming up 3 so il wait until it's 4 :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a plan Dave. Gap them with a proper "coin" tool rather than a screwdriver and I'd say you're in business. I'm intrigued as to the plug as all I could find was a 6 rated plug for the Impreza 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MartynB said:

Sounds like a plan Dave. Gap them with a proper "coin" tool rather than a screwdriver and I'd say you're in business. I'm intrigued as to the plug as all I could find was a 6 rated plug for the Impreza 

You will find it eventually.....so here you are, I just hope giving info away freely doesn't affect sales??????

I spoke to NGK technical who where brilliant.

They said use a ILFR7H, same plug with better spec iridium section apparently and a 0.6 gap

Tool like this??

Image result for spark plug gapping tool

Edited by Seriouslylotus
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Seriouslylotus said:

You will find it eventually.....so here you are, I just hope giving info away freely doesn't affect sales??????

I spoke to NGK technical who where brilliant.

They said use a ILFR7H, same plug with better spec iridium section apparently and a 0.6 gap

Tool like this??

Image result for spark plug gapping tool

Thanks, Dave -- Interesting info.

The cross-reference info listed the ILFR7H plug as a substitute for the factory ILFR7B8 plug, so I would have just assumed the pre-set gap was the same as the factory plug or the Iridum IX LFR7AIX plug, both pre-set at .8mm.

Equivalences for ilfr7b8:
- NGK PLFR7A-9 / PLFR7A-11 / LFR7B / LFR7AIX / ILFR7H
- DENSO K22PRH-U11 / IKH22

 

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack said:

Thanks, Dave -- Interesting info.

The cross-reference info listed the ILFR7H plug as a substitute for the factory ILFR7B8 plug, so I would have just assumed the pre-set gap was the same as the factory plug or the Iridum IX LFR7AIX plug, both pre-set at .8mm.

Equivalences for ilfr7b8:
- NGK PLFR7A-9 / PLFR7A-11 / LFR7B / LFR7AIX / ILFR7H
- DENSO K22PRH-U11 / IKH22

 

Where did you find the cross reference info.

Can't find the lotus spec plug in any lists

Link to post
Share on other sites

the lotus part said ngk ilfr7b8 for supercharged and denso k22 for atmo 280

impossible to find this reference(ngk ilfr7b8 ) to do a spare set

buy one set new only on ebay enter the lotus reference to find it

regards

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seriouslylotus said:

Where did you find the cross reference info.

Can't find the lotus spec plug in any lists

@Seriouslylotus -- Dave, found it here when trying to go between Denso and NGK ……  https://partinfo.org/ngk-ilfr7b8/

Then I looked for the Denso equivalents and found the Japan Plugs site …… http://japansparkplugs.com/boutique/en/denso/65-6x-vkh22.ht

Obviously, only some of the Denso VKH22 equivalents have the identical spec to the NGK "Laser Iridium" series plug Lotus is using in the super-charged V6 engines.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.


×
×
  • Create New...