free hit
counters
Changing gear issue - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Changing gear issue


Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would say that the gearbox of the exige V6 feel quite good with the latest 380 shifter but it also doesn t feel a very strong gearbox and it seems that for any little thing it could become not perfect.

On my older cup 260 with the known gearbox problems I fitted stiffer innovate engine and gearbox mounts and it improved a lot.

On the 380 cup I also ordered the exige v6 engine and transmission mounts but some where different on the 380 so I could only fit 2 of them instead of 4 (front and rear or left and right) just slightly more vibration at idle but almost unnoticeable and a little better feeling on track.

I never changed the cables but I m sure ssc ones can be better and if the routing of oem ones are near the exhaust it could be a nice mod to use some heatshield on them.

On my 380 cup I changed the gearbox oil for some redline mt 90 and that made a noticeable difference.

On those gearboxes I would say the main thing you want is that synchros slow down the gears well between gearchanges and after some searching it seems that redline is one of the better solutions and I would say it really improve things.

I think you could also try the thinner redline mtl but as I used the exige on track I used the mt 90 but at colder temperatures and street use maybe the mtl could be a better choice.

The oem gerbox will not change to something better but all those little improvements should at least make it work in better conditions and last longer.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing that can make a difference is to purge the clutch system from all air bubbles and change the fluid from time to time.

On my 380 cup after I fitted the quaife rear limited slip diff they did not purge it well and there was some very light grinding in second gear when cold.

When they purged it again it was ok.

About the gear shifting in the video I would say that of course it could be some cable adjustment or air in the system but also the synchro itself could be worn and got to be replaced.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drove an exige with that motec gearbox cooler kit fitted, the noise from the pump was unpleasant to say the least.

It seems a straightforward thing to do is get cable heat shield and wrap the gear lever cables in it. It may not solve the problem totally but will definitely help as in my car the problem mainly happens when the car is hot and heats the cables up.

Martin S

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 28/07/2018 at 08:42, MARTIN_S said:

It seems a straightforward thing to do is get cable heat shield and wrap the gear lever cables in it. It may not solve the problem totally but will definitely help as in my car the problem mainly happens when the car is hot and heats the cables up.

Martin S

 

Heat is certainly a catalyst on my Evora,.

It definitely likes to grumble & chatter more in 35-40 deg temperatures in the South of France & Italy whist at home, on normal days, I don’t hear it much at all (although I’ve probably got so use to it that it doesn’t register anymore)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 16/12/2016 at 15:52, Gavin mckenzie said:

Thanks for the reply.

its completely fine stationary and at normal driving speeds it's only when the revs get to about the first red light indicator then it takes more time and a more pronounced push or pull to engage a gear, never noticed before because normally change gears before the lights as no real power increase that high up. It's not a major drama but if I was tracking it then it would be a deal breaker, I've just been missing a few gears at full twat and was embarrassing ?.

I would like to track the car hens I was trying to find out if it's normal and just takes more time to select when racing or if I need to have it looked at which means an expensive ferry ride and stop over...

@Gavin mckenzie did you solve your issue? My gear cables have just been changed and I still get the same issue than you. I suspect an adjustment is needed but I would like you to confirm how you solve your issue. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/04/2019 at 01:11, tomprout said:

@Gavin mckenzie did you solve your issue? My gear cables have just been changed and I still get the same issue than you. I suspect an adjustment is needed but I would like you to confirm how you solve your issue. Thanks!

Highly likely the cables just need adjusting a bit. They’re quite sensitive and go out of alignment occasionally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Highly likely the cables just need adjusting a bit. They’re quite sensitive and go out of alignment occasionally.

I can change gears without any issue when engine is cold. I experience the issue only after driving the car for 20-30 min intensively (on track). I have some concern regarding how the dealer will be able to properly re-adjust the cables if the car is not in track condition...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/07/2018 at 11:57, GFWilliams said:

Swap cables to SSC cables will help a lot more than this.  Cables have heat shielding from the factory anyway.

Do you know if your oem cables were already the same spec as the latest 380 cup ones?

I was told that the lates ones are almost as good as the ssc ones.

 

Just now, tomprout said:

I can change gears without any issue when engine is cold. I experience the issue only after driving the car for 20-30 min intensively (on track). I have some concern regarding how the dealer will be able to properly re-adjust the cables if the car is not in track condition...

replace the brake fluid and clutch fluid with something better as castrol srf or motul rbf 660 and make sure there is no air in the clutch system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxi_z said:

Do you know if your oem cables were already the same spec as the latest 380 cup ones?

I was told that the lates ones are almost as good as the ssc ones.

 

replace the brake fluid and clutch fluid with something better as castrol srf or motul rbf 660 and make sure there is no air in the clutch system.

I don't know about the oem cables. Will need to check with the dealer.

Brake/clutch fluid has just been replaced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The clutch fluid and brake fluid use the same reservoir

When using the car on track and the brake fluid get warm it could also heat the clutch fluid and make the clutch slighly less effective

If you use castrol srf it will be better and even if the difference is not that much everything is useful to make that not so perfect gearchange better

On my exige I went for stiffer engine mounts redline mt90  gearbox oil and castol srf  and everything made it a little better

I had the same kind of problem shifting into second one or two times when car was cold and also one or two times in 4th when on track and I did not went yet after using the castrol srf but I have to say that even on street the clutch pedal feels slightly stiffer and the gearchange better

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Maxi_z said:

The clutch fluid and brake fluid use the same reservoir

When using the car on track and the brake fluid get warm it could also heat the clutch fluid and make the clutch slighly less effective

If you use castrol srf it will be better and even if the difference is not that much everything is useful to make that not so perfect gearchange better

On my exige I went for stiffer engine mounts redline mt90  gearbox oil and castol srf  and everything made it a little better

I had the same kind of problem shifting into second one or two times when car was cold and also one or two times in 4th when on track and I did not went yet after using the castrol srf but I have to say that even on street the clutch pedal feels slightly stiffer and the gearchange better

 

@Maxi_z I used Castrol srf and gearbox oil has also just been changed. My dealer asked for some guidance to Lotus. I'll keep you informed...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Dealer did bleed the clutch and aligned again the gear cable. Unfortunately it did not solve the issue...

I called another Lotus dealer who was aware of this issue and told me that changing the gearbox oil to Motul 75W140 fixed the issue for his customers. This will be the next step.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/05/2019 at 14:50, tomprout said:

Hello,

Dealer did bleed the clutch and aligned again the gear cable. Unfortunately it did not solve the issue...

I called another Lotus dealer who was aware of this issue and told me that changing the gearbox oil to Motul 75W140 fixed the issue for his customers. This will be the next step.

I think that buying the SSC shift cables, then subsequently making slow, purposeful gear changes each and every time should sort the issue for you. 

The gearbox seems to respond badly to one missed shift (when warm). If you miss a shift.... you can be sure you will miss a few more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tomprout said:

Unfortunately this is in direct contradiction to a sport/race car...

Absolutely agreed. 80k for a race car for the road and we need to change gear slowly ... a crap gearbox in an otherwise brilliant car. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/05/2019 at 09:42, tomprout said:

Unfortunately this is in direct contradiction to a sport/race car...

It’s your gearbox, you make the choice of how long you want it to last :)

It’s not a race car, the Cup R (race car) uses a sequential gearbox.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Simply said, the gearbox remains the limiting factor in an otherwise overwhelming car. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a solution as long as Toyota doesn't come up with something new (or we get a new non-Toyota engined Exige).

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...