free hit
counters
Changing gear issue - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Changing gear issue

Sorry if this has been asked before but here goes, after 4500 km in my Exige V6 s I'm just noticing that when red lining or very high up in the rev range I really have to make a much more deliberate and aggressive timely gear change especially going from 2 nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th... is this normal as I embarrassingly keep missing the gear when hard on it !!!! Traits of the car or attention needed ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

First mention that I have heard of it. Wish I could help. Someone will be along that should be able to answer your concerns.

Have you taken the car back to your dealer? I presume it is still under warranty?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

No I bought it in Germany and delivered it to mallorca where I live, nearest dealer is mainland spain... I can get it into gear it's just much harder whilst flat out and takes longer to select hens I was wondering is this normal due to the amount the engine moves or developing problem ?

Does it select ok when cold?

Does it select ok when stationary? Engine on and off??

Did it suddenly start doing this or has it slowly crept up on you?

The cables can sometimes bed in a little, this can lead to a shift that doesn't feel quite as nice as before.

I find with my car that the gear change doesn't like being 'rushed' nothing wrong with it. Its just a big heavy gearbox that likes a mechanically sympathetic change rather than a rushed racing change

@GFWilliams recently had a similar issue and an adjustment by the dealer fixed it for him. As Dave said, they can bed in meaning a re-adjustment is all that's required. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks for the reply.

its completely fine stationary and at normal driving speeds it's only when the revs get to about the first red light indicator then it takes more time and a more pronounced push or pull to engage a gear, never noticed before because normally change gears before the lights as no real power increase that high up. It's not a major drama but if I was tracking it then it would be a deal breaker, I've just been missing a few gears at full twat and was embarrassing ?.

I would like to track the car hens I was trying to find out if it's normal and just takes more time to select when racing or if I need to have it looked at which means an expensive ferry ride and stop over...

On 15/12/2016 at 23:31, Gavin mckenzie said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but here goes, after 4500 km in my Exige V6 s I'm just noticing that when red lining or very high up in the rev range I really have to make a much more deliberate and aggressive timely gear change especially going from 2 nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th... is this normal as I embarrassingly keep missing the gear when hard on it !!!! Traits of the car or attention needed ?

4 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

I had pretty much exactly the same issue, took it to the dealer and they said "that's fine, they're all like that". Upon asking again and a push thanks to Bibs they had a proper look, adjusted it and it's totally transformed. 

From my experience it's not a permanent solution unfortunately.. I've had it done I think twice or more now.. fine for a few weeks / months, then one fine day going down a slip road merging onto a motorway, 2nd to 3rd aaaand it's back :angry:

The cables run next to the cat and get hot / expand in the sheathing, then don't go back to normal size when they cool.

Mine's having new cables fitted under warranty.

I was going by second hand info from Andy French.

Mine apparently happened on track by the previous owner, hence Lotus changing them under warranty.

As I've only used the car on road, I've yet to experience the issue.

'....it makes every other roadster look just a little bit cissy...'

I had something very similar Gavin:-

Notchy change 3rd to 4th high revs making it easy to miss the gear followed by a whiff of burning clutch?  Oakmere sorted it for me - had to wait a few weeks for parts though - they had to replace clutch cover.  Running really sweet now. 

Hope this helps

Cheers, Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So what kind of adjustement in cables they do to solve the issue?

Do you think guys that installing simply sport cars shift cables would solve it permanently??

In my opinion this is the only actual negative endemic issue of our Exiges

59 minutes ago, Dani said:

So what kind of adjustement in cables they do to solve the issue?

Do you think guys that installing simply sport cars shift cables would solve it permanently??

In my opinion this is the only actual negative endemic issue of our Exiges

SSC kit won't fix it I've been down that route already. Adjustment is to the cross gate and main gear cable both in the car and at the back. Seems to be fine tuning which is why some dealers are just arsey about it because it's a fiddly job! 

Find someone happy to adjust, test drive, then readjust as appropriate but it can take a while to get right in my experience. 

www.alias23.com

14 hours ago, Dani said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but adjustement means to tighten cables or something similar?

Do you think that a gear box radiator as sold in Komotec could be an improvement for gear shifting ?

Have a read of pages 7 and 8 of the SSC install guide (the install is pretty much the same regardless of OEM or SSC).

http://www.simplysportscars.com/shop/img/cms/INSTALL GUIDES/230 T3EX 01 A - CABLE, SHIFT, V6 EXIGE.pdf

Its fiddly and requires patient. You need to find a decent dealer - I wouldn't suggest you try DIY as you may find it gets worse.

www.alias23.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 04/02/2017 at 09:05, GFWilliams said:

I've ordered the SSC cables and will get Jez @ Back on Track to fit them, seeing as B&C told me the gearbox didn't need any adjustment last time I took it in...

A year later, any noticeable improvement ?

Ive had the issue from 2nd to 3rd only. High revs changing from 2nd to 3 rd and it struggles to select the gear (or I do).

22 minutes ago, LDiz said:

A year later, any noticeable improvement ?

Ive had the issue from 2nd to 3rd only. High revs changing from 2nd to 3 rd and it struggles to select the gear (or I do).

Yes, stopped any missed shifts.  I had problems with 2nd to 3rd shifts before, so I’m happy with the cables.  They don’t make a huge difference to feel, but they make it work better...

4 hours ago, tomprout said:

Hello,

I think I have the same problem. Can you please look at this video and let me know if you experience the same issue (listen at 00:00:09)?

Yes but it took two attempts to get in to gear for me all 3 times.

On 25/07/2018 at 14:30, tomprout said:

Hello,

I think I have the same problem. Can you please look at this video and let me know if you experience the same issue (listen at 00:00:09)?

Ramming a gear in so hard will be part of the issue. Count in your head one - two, and as you do, put it into neutral, then into gear. It’s much more mechanically sympathetic and will increase the life of your box too. 

By doing this, it will also allow the revs to drop as the clutch is engaged, meaning they’re closer to the correct revs for the next gear. It’s sort of the opposite of heel & toe, and you can feel it through the gear lever when you get it perfect. 

• Like 1