free hit
counters
Cold footwell over 70mph - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Cold footwell over 70mph

Having only recently started to need the heater since I bought the car in July, I have only just found out that it is difficult to keep the footwells warm when travelling in excess of 70mph - below that they are ok, not hot, but ok. All the controls work correctly at lower speeds, so I assume that somehow external air is finding its way into the cabin although there is nothing noticeable - is this unusual, or is it something you just live with?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Even with the heater "off" it still lets air through. This may be what you're getting. If you dial the heater to warm even with the fan off it does make a difference.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Easy workaround is to turn on the recirculation button. That closed the "letterbox" opening through which cold air is pushed into the footwell.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

7 hours ago, TBD said:

Easy workaround is to turn on the recirculation button. That closed the "letterbox" opening through which cold air is pushed into the footwell.

That isn't quite right. Turning on circulation works because the fan then draws air from the footwell rather than outside (which is what the footwell vent is for). The downside is you will start to steam up without the AC as all moisture is retained in the car. Short term fix is to cover the grille in the passenger footwell which is fine if you don't use recirculation. That stops cold air bleeding in at speed.

• 3 years later...

Thought I would try some one way face mask valves fitted to FR4 fibreglass panel -  hopefully should get over the recirculation issue.  If it seems OK  I'll make a few more from the left over valves from China an d put them on ebay.

vent plate1.jpg

vent plate2.jpg

• Like 1